Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

14 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Why was "kraken" removed from the profanity filter?  At least, I think it was...

ETA: Someone's messing with the filter!  na-zi kraken nazis <-Testing!

ETA2: The plural form is still not censored.

Why should "kraken" have been in the filter at all? It is a normal word, and very common in KSP. IIRC it could be used as long as I was here.

I agree about that second word, though.

8 hours ago, Kerdinand said:

Why should "kraken" have been in the filter at all? It is a normal word, and very common in KSP. IIRC it could be used as long as I was here.

I agree about that second word, though.

Nope, that's the n-word being changed into "kraken." Like this: "kraken"

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, mipmo said:

Can mods post in locked threads?

Yes. Most threads in Announcements are locked as soon as they are published, yet mods can post updates to these. Maybe lower-rank moderators cannot post in threads locked by higher-rank mods, but I doubt it.

EDIT: woop, 1000th post ! :D

Edited by Gaarst

57 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Yes. Most threads in Announcements are locked as soon as they are published, yet mods can post updates to these. Maybe lower-rank moderators cannot post in threads locked by higher-rank mods, but I doubt it.

The concept of ranks is somewhat disused, everyone is equal except @sal_vager and @Vanamonde, who rule over the proceedings with an iron fist* ;).

*please don't fire me

On December 7, 2015 at 3:40 PM, adsii1970 said:

Oh, Ok. makes sense to me. We had to do that in one of the forums I moderated for for SimCity. The only problem we ran into with the IP addresses is that if the original spammer used Internet access from a university, library, or other public area, and we blocked the IP address, we would often (and unavoidably) block access to those with legitimate accounts that had the same IP as the offending party. Now granted, that was about four years ago, so I am assuming that different protocols are in place or are you using a combination of IP, user name, and email addresses?

We even tried shady looking email domains, but because a large number of our spammers had either Yahoo! or Excite email addresses, we could not place that entire email domain on the rejection list...

Hey! I use Yahoo!

:wink:

well my mom made me that email, but I'm too lazy to switch.

Edited by legoclone09

6 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Hey! I use Yahoo!

:wink:

well my mom made me that email, but I'm too lazy to switch.

And that is exactly why we didn't ban the entire domain. Even though Excite and Yahoo! (and a few domains) did have a bunch of spambots associated with them, we decided that it was better to catch ten spambots than to have one innocent user, simply because of their domain, refused access to the forum. :) It is never wise to punish the innocent with the guilty in the name of "justice" or "equality."

As a side note, I have had my hotmail address since 1992... :D