Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Not entirely sure is this is the correct thread to post this in, but it feels unnecessary to start a new thread about it:

Is there a reason for the double forum links in the menu to the right of this picture ("Forum" and "Forums")?

Forum-wierdness.jpg

I have my follow preferences set to notify me through the forum any time a topic is posted in the Daily Kerbal. For some reason, I never get the notifications. I get them just fine for everything else, is there something special you have to do when following a board (rather than a single thread)?

Of all the big forum "riots" (can't find a less appropriate yet not-offensive name) such as the Round-8 protests, forum migration, opt-in prerelease, etc. What was the hardest to moderate while the users were having arguments?

11 hours ago, Columbia said:

Of all the big forum "riots" (can't find a less appropriate yet not-offensive name) such as the Round-8 protests, forum migration, opt-in prerelease, etc. What was the hardest to moderate while the users were having arguments?

I'll speak generally.

Usually the hardest ones to moderate are the ones where no clear rules are being broken. Because then, we have to act as firefighters, and fighting such wildfires are difficult whilst still keeping discussion of topics going. Furthermore, often times with such contentious issues us, moderators ourselves are having the same discussion. I think as a general rule, if there has been a controversial topic on the forums, it's also been controversial to us moderators. 

I for one think it's a strength of the moderation team. With such a close knit group, it's easy to fall into groupthink and I like to think we fight against that as much as possible.

What was so inflammatory about RPing that it got banned from the forums? Apparently I was lucky to have missed it...

Edited by Andem
Damn Autocorrect...

21 minutes ago, Andem said:

What was so inflammatory about RPing that it got banned from the forums? Apparently I was lucky to have missed it...

This entire thread is a must-read to answer that question, specifically this answer.

TL;DR = It is too difficult to moderate anything having to do with RP because it infects the forums and causes personal attacks being written off as actions in character. Getting rid of it altogether on the forums means less headache for both staff and forumgoers alike.

1 hour ago, Dfthu said:

Since mods can close threads can they open them back up?

Yes, it's toggleable.  (But please don't take that as a license to ask mods to open up a thread that's been locked down.  We don't lock down threads lightly, and if it's closed, it's closed.)

In fact, it's sometimes a handy option to temporarily lock a thread.  For example, suppose a thread is spiraling out of control and needs some surgery-- i.e. not bad enough to permanently lock the thread, but perhaps it needs some extensive pruning, something like that.  That sort of operation can take a bit of time to clean up, and it gets messier if folks are posting to the thread while we're in the midst of cleaning it up.  So a convenient option is to lock the thread, get it tidied up, and then unlock it again (usually after the mod posts a "let's keep it nice, folks" message, or similar).

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

What does my profile look like from a Moderator standpoint? Screenshot please?

Shhh, not to be asking about the Secret Moderator Powers!  ;)

It looks basically the same as what a mere mortal would see, with some extra information that's useful to us in diagnosing issues related to your activity.  'Nuff said.

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Also, do you get notifications whenever someone posts here?

There's nothing special about this thread, it's just a thread like any other in the forums.  That said, anyone (mod or not) can choose to follow any thread in order to get notifications, so it would be up to the individual moderator whether they want to be notified about this thread.

When we look at your profile, we see the same thing you see when you look at your profile. The difference is, when you look at someone else's, you can only see part of it because some of that is confidential, while we moderators have the the full view on all account profiles. 

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Edit: Ninja'd by one of the new guys, and more eloquently!

A credit to the KSP branch of the NSA me thinks. :)

The extra info they see relates to warnings and such that the member currently has... my profile, for example, sets of alarms in 25 nations... :)

Edited by kiwi1960

8 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

How come some threads or possibly content have No Permission to view?

That's usually a very old thread that was moved to an archive, but could be a glitch. Did you have any in particular you were wondering about? 

Just now, Vanamonde said:

That's usually a very old thread that was moved to an archive, but could be a glitch. Did you have any in particular you were wondering about? 

There was one in the 1.1 prerelease section... 

The second post in the thread below has a link which does not show up: