Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Thanks to you both for the quick reply.

I've always found the KSP community to be particularly mature and generally civil when communicating with members or asking Mod creators for new features or support.  The occasional member that posts what might be a considered a rude note either due to English not being their first language, or because they are trying to be particularly vehement in their their post is usually quickly steered by the other members in a thread to a more polite, constructive feedback path.

I feel in some part that is due to the diligenent and mostly thankless job of the moderators.  I thank you for all you do to keep things running smoothly.

But last night seeing both a very rude post and seeing that it was made by a moderator, brought me cause to look for the report mechanism for the first time. I kept looking for something with the word "report" in the interface and I completely missed the little Flag link.

Thank you again, and have a happy New Year!!!

Speaking of posts being reported and whatnot, I have a silly little question: when posts are removed by moderators, do rep points/likes associated with those posts not vanish as well? In the incident to which I think @mcortez is referring, I had a few posts that were eventually removed (not unreasonably) but had each received a couple of likes. I remember noticing at that time that my rep had just broken the 100 mark, and I expected it to drop below that again when the thread was cleaned up. Looking at it now, though, it seems like I still have those few extra points, which I found surprising. 

Not that rep/likes REALLY make any difference to anything, but I was just curious. 

31 minutes ago, Merkov said:

Speaking of posts being reported and whatnot, I have a silly little question: when posts are removed by moderators, do rep points/likes associated with those posts not vanish as well?

Just made some MODERATING FOR SCIENCE!. They don't disappear; you keep your rep.

Edited by monstah

Not sure if technical questions on the forum go here, but is there anyway to see all watched threads with unread posts?

I do have an Activity Stream setup to show only unread posts in threads I watch, but that shows each post. So when I have a popular thread (such as USI or FAR) watched, it pushes other threads off the page and I miss a lot of discussion this way.

For those who use other forums, I'm asking for Xenforo's "Unread Watched Threads" view.

Is this possible with the software we've got?

D.

13 hours ago, Diazo said:

Not sure if technical questions on the forum go here, but is there anyway to see all watched threads with unread posts?

I do have an Activity Stream setup to show only unread posts in threads I watch, but that shows each post. So when I have a popular thread (such as USI or FAR) watched, it pushes other threads off the page and I miss a lot of discussion this way.

For those who use other forums, I'm asking for Xenforo's "Unread Watched Threads" view.

Is this possible with the software we've got?

D.

I believe this stream is configured the way you are describing: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/discover/244/

13 hours ago, Benji13 said:

Why can't we embed imgur albums anymore? Why is this? Will we ever be able to again?

Broken at the moment, imgur changed how their embeds work. Hopefully it will be workable after the next forum software update.

On 1/1/2017 at 0:59 PM, Diazo said:

@Red Iron Crown Yes it does, thank you.

If you dont want the post previews, and ONLY the thread titles will do you, you can click the "Expanded View/Condensed View" buttons at the top right, to switch between...
(Personally I dont like the post previews, so I have the thread titles only...)

Also, dont know if you know this, but if you click the blue star or circle at the front of the thread title, it will automagically take you to the last UNread post of the thread...Nice for threads you visit a lot, and dont want to hunt for where you left off last...

The first pic shows what I mean, and how I have my stream set up... (I also got rid of the annoying "tags" at the end of the thread title

https://imgur.com/a/eLpXv

yIHfh5C.png

Edited by Stone Blue

I understand that we should not talk about religion, but about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and other similar concepts are also forbidden?

I imagine the answer is yes, because, even not being a religion, it was created as a result of a religious discussion. Anyway, asking don't hurt :P

37 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

I understand that we should not talk about religion, but about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and other similar concepts are also forbidden?

I imagine the answer is yes, because, even not being a religion, it was created as a result of a religious discussion. Anyway, asking don't hurt :P

Yes. FSM is religious content one way or the other and thus falls under that taboo topic. 

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Yes. It's to limit rep exchanging and inflation.

Heh... as if its not already abused by those who would abuse it... and those of us who would us it as its meant to be, get penalized...

Edited by Stone Blue

14 minutes ago, Frybert said:

25 is 5 times more than it used to be.

Not quite.

For anybody who had been here who wasn't new, each rep was worth 5 rep power. 5*5= 25, the same as now. But we get the chance to give 25 one-power rewards.

11 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

^see, this right here is EXACTLY why we need a daily replike limit. It'd be just like the Number War, but with the whole Forum on Team (+)

Yup... and again, abuse of the system and not how it was meant to be used... And those people who "like" every stoopid post, just to inflate numbers, so they can say "Ooooo, LOOK AT ME!!! I have 5000 rep...<even tho 4900 of it is inflated excrements and fake>", ruin the whole system for everybody else anyway...

So whats it matter if there's a limit or not?

Edited by Stone Blue

Well, before things get out of hand I should hasten to add that @Dman979 is completely awesome and only gives rep when the post warrants it. My comment referenced the fact that as KSP players we are a numbers-oriented bunch, and some people DO give rep just to see an interesting one, like 1000, 1234, 1337, etc. It's an abuse of the system, and truly deplorable.

Also, look at ME, I almost have 12345 rep! whooooooooooo!!!