Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

26 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

^see, this right here is EXACTLY why we need a daily replike limit. It'd be just like the Number War, but with the whole Forum on Team (+)

Much like with @Green Iron Crown?

For reference, I didn't rep anything to make that comment. I just noticed it.

9 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I should hasten to add that @Dman979 is completely awesome

Thank you. I might put that in my sig sometime.

10 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Also, look at ME, I almost have 12345 rep! whooooooooooo!!!

Show off. :wink:

@Stone Blue Unlimited likes would lead to nothing more than people spamming people they like regardless of content. Now there's no way to stop this entirely so a rep limit or 25 was chosen. Fewer, and people wouldn't have much use for the system after only a few votes. More and it would lead to the system being rendered completely pointless. It was chosen as a balance and has been looked at before, and may be looked at again. For now, thats how it is, and its time to move on from this.

be around regularly and post-it to like for tommorrow when you miss some , while daily you can still unlike relike etc ^^(granting a daily like basis to spend will only lead to false dormant account, the current compromise is nice trgarding that imo)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
ert ... not far azerty ... gonna grab some sleep soon cells are fading slowly ^^

1 minute ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

(granting a daily like basis to spend will only lead to false dormant account, the current compromise is nice imo)

Don't worry, we keep an eye for false accounts :wink: 

I'm okay with the current system, too. I think I've hit my 25 limit only once or twice, anyway, and only after having liked posts very late at night.

Confidentiality would prevent you form citing specifics, I know, but--has any mod ever looked at a post that was Reported, and ended up Repping/Liking that post rather than moderating it? If not, I bet you wanted to a couple of times :) Hopefully someone can share a general anecdote that wouldn't improperly disclose a moderation action...

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

has any mod ever looked at a post that was Reported, and ended up Repping/Liking that post rather than moderating it?

Yes, I've done that a few times, but of course only if the post doesn't break any rules and only if I genuinely like the post :).

7 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

.. ended up Repping/Liking that post rather than moderating it?

Yes, definitely. Reports often allow us to spot good posts that would otherwise go unnoticed. Whatever the intent of who was reporting...

11 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Confidentiality would prevent you form citing specifics, I know, but--has any mod ever looked at a post that was Reported, and ended up Repping/Liking that post rather than moderating it? If not, I bet you wanted to a couple of times :) Hopefully someone can share a general anecdote that wouldn't improperly disclose a moderation action...

Sometimes. Not often now that likes are so easily visible, though. Sometimes I've wanted to like posts that I did have to moderate, too. Just because something is against our rules doesn't mean I won't agree with it or find it funny, etc. 

Edit: Where did all these ninjas come from?

Edited by Red Iron Crown

@Red Iron Crown Nothing specific yet, but occured to me starting a poll on some subject like Star Wars x Star Trek, Marvel x DC, SpaceX x Blue Origin... you got the idea. Just to know what people here prefere, just out of curiosity. Anyway... I don't know if would be the case here, but theses topics sometime get out of hand. So I would start a poll and have it locked, this way I would know the results without any negativeness that might come in the comments.

But it was just something that crossed my mind, I probably won't do this :P 

On 1/10/2017 at 6:14 AM, VaPaL said:

@Red Iron Crown Nothing specific yet, but occured to me starting a poll on some subject like Star Wars x Star Trek, Marvel x DC, SpaceX x Blue Origin... you got the idea. Just to know what people here prefere, just out of curiosity. Anyway... I don't know if would be the case here, but theses topics sometime get out of hand. So I would start a poll and have it locked, this way I would know the results without any negativeness that might come in the comments.

But it was just something that crossed my mind, I probably won't do this :P 

++ NOT A MOD ++

Now since I have that out of the way, I wanted to simply wanted to respond to @VaPaL's question. Not meaning to start a war of words, but each one is so different it would literally be like comparing oranges, apples, blackberries, etc. I'd go with wider genres (Science Fantasy, Science Fiction) as your focal point.

Now for my personal opinion and to answer your question:

As fun as Star Wars is - it is science fantasy. I prefer science fiction by far. And the more nerdy the science fiction is, the more I enjoy it. I want to see a discussion of known science fact followed by futuristic speculation. Some of the older science fiction, such as the old sci-fi movies and serials of the 1950s and 1960s did just that. While there have been a lot of good newer releases, such as The Martian, I believe the science behind the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey will remain a science fiction classic for a while longer yet.

4 minutes ago, Spacetraindriver said:

Has any flame wars ever erupted or do you guys close the thread at the slightest threat of (the forum version) total nuclear war? The only thread I can remember that might have erupted is the "We are Closing rocket Builders" thread.

Many, many flame wars, so much so that it often seems like there is always at least one smoldering somewhere.

I was reading the rules again and I just realised, what's the point of a permanent ban? I mean, the person only needs to create a new account with a new e-mail doesn't it?

Related to that, what happens to the banned account posts, they are automatically removed?

Thanks! :) 

4 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

I was reading the rules again and I just realised, what's the point of a permanent ban? I mean, the person only needs to create a new account with a new e-mail doesn't it?

Related to that, what happens to the banned account posts, they are automatically removed?

Thanks! :) 

Posts from a banned user remain, though we delete/hide ones that were against the rules in such a way to be not salvageable. Quite probably posts that could be put in relation with a ban will go hidden too.

We have a few techniques to avoid a permanently banned user to return under a different name. Sorry if I can't provide details, as those will only help mischievers to try other ways :).