Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Just now, VaPaL said:

Also, using a location that is a play with words (with Uranus) breaks the rule 2.2?

without knowledge about what the play is, can't provide an answer. Best would be if you asked by Private Mail (best directed to one of the global moderators, they know better than me what could be considered right/wrong)

10 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Are we allowed to openly express disagreement with moderator actions?

Short version: As per forum guild line 3.4, no.

If you have received moderator actions, you are more then welcome to PRIVATELY discuss it with members of the mod team.

HOWEVER

We will absolutely not, under any circumstance, discuss moderator action with anyone outside of the person who was moderated. We will not discuss removed posts, warns or infractions, or anything else of that kind.

@Gaarst it's like @Frybert said. We keep strict confidentiality, which is why we can't comment on other users. But it anyone has any questions about their own posts being removed or moderation actions that affect them personally, they are more than welcome to contact one of us.

But we don't allow open (public) discussion of moderation action. I'm sure you can imagine how that would turn out if we allowed it:

1) One person makes a thread: "How come a moderator did X to my post and gave me a warning?"

2) A bunch of people who think they know what they are talking about chime in with unhelpful comments about what a bad post OP had made

3) Flame war begins

4) Finally a moderator has time to look at the thread and has to lock it.

5) OP opens a new thread: "How come a moderator locked my thread??"

6) GOTO 2

I have a DROID MAXX by Motorola running Android operating system. One thing that happens with the mobi version of the forum is whether I am using Google Chrome or Firefox is every time I try to quote someone, I have issues. The biggest issue happens when I do try and quote. It doesn't matter if I actually post with the quote or if I change my mind and don't use the quote, I cannot seem to get rid of the quote box. Even if I leave the forum and come back to it, that stupid quote box will show up in any reply field on the forum - except status updates...

Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I have a DROID MAXX by Motorola running Android operating system. One thing that happens with the mobi version of the forum is whether I am using Google Chrome or Firefox is every time I try to quote someone, I have issues. The biggest issue happens when I do try and quote. It doesn't matter if I actually post with the quote or if I change my mind and don't use the quote, I cannot seem to get rid of the quote box. Even if I leave the forum and come back to it, that stupid quote box will show up in any reply field on the forum - except status updates...

Any suggestions?

Known, I have it too. Unfortunately I believe it's an issue with IPS that we must wait on them to fix.

Many questions here:
1) How do you become a mod?

2) Has a mod ever abused their power?

3) What would you be doing if the forums were closed?

4) If you didn't want to be a mod anymore, could you just go to a staff member and be like "Oh hey bro, I don't want this job" and they demote you?

5) Do you ever sleep? It seems like you guys are on... Always... as in 24/7, in every single timezone...

Well, let's see.

1. See my signature
  2. Not that I've seen, ever since I was a regular user.
  3. I'd be staring at the ceiling 8 hours a day in my regular job, I suppose.
  4. As far as I know, yep. Oh, I sure hope so! /sarcasm
  5. That's just @TheKosmonaut, but he's a clone actually :wink:
Edited by monstah

4 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Many questions here:

Generally one is invited. 

Not of which I am aware, and if I was I wouldn't say. 

Hanging out on IRC.

4) If you didn't want to be a mod anymore, could you just go to a staff member and be like "Oh hey bro, I don't want this job" and they demote you?

Yes, moderators can resign at any time, it happens occasionally as people move on or lose interest.

5) Do you ever sleep? It seems like you guys are on... Always... as in 24/7, in every single timezone...

The Sun never sets on the moderation nation.

(More seriously, we're spread out geographically so we have decent 24hr coverage most of the time.)

18 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Generally one is invited. 

Interesting. Is it based on nominations or do the mods hang around a table like "Oh well I think that [insert user here] should become a mod." "Yeah. I think so too." "Welcome to the mod club, [user]!"

20 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Hanging out on IRC.

IRC? that a website?

20 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Yes, moderators can resign at any time, it happens occasionally as people move on or lose interest.

How common is this? I could imagine that it wouldn't happen very often, as being a mod would be SUPER cool.

2 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Interesting. Is it based on nominations or do the mods hang around a table like "Oh well I think that [insert user here] should become a mod." "Yeah. I think so too." "Welcome to the mod club, [user]!"

Basically, yes. When we identify a need for new mods we start a thread for nominations in the moderator's area of the forum, and discuss the potential candidates. Then we settle on a few and send invites, which are not always accepted.

IRC? that a website?

Internet Relay Chat, an old, old chat protocol. There's a handy link to the official KSP channel at the top of the page.

How common is this? I could imagine that it wouldn't happen very often, as being a mod would be SUPER cool.

It may look super cool from the outside, but in fact it is real work. Some people aren't prepared for this and decide it's not for them. Others lose interest in the KSP community and aren't motivated to continue. Still others have a change in their real life commitments that prevents them from moderating further.

11 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

You ask the mods, and we accept, or we ask you and you accept.

Yes.

The time that I'd spend here I'd spend other places on the internet.

Yes, this has happened more than once. It's not like we force anyone to be a mod.

Mods are picked such that we are on 24/7. A single mod sleeps, but together we are forever awake.

Until I became moderator, I hadn't used IRC since the early 90's, when most web browsing was still text-only (Lynx), internet gaming was text-only (MUD) and a 64 kbit internet connection was state-of-the-art and only available to schools and large businesses. (At least in Denmark)

Edited by Val

Sure enough I had no need to use IRC before joining the mod team. Coming from a job environment where IRC protocol was considered a utter failure at security, I had no previous experience using it - and would never have used it if wasn't mandatory for moderation. Helps I'm using it only on my own machine, would have never allowed it within the organization I belonged.

3 hours ago, munlander1 said:

Can a mod discipline him/her self? If so can they also undo it?

We are immune to warns! Muwahahaha! 

Though a couple of the guys have given themselves timeouts when they were getting angry or feeling guilty about a goof.