Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

11 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

If I want to start a discussion about re-opening a thread, is it better to start a thread discussing the issue or PM a moderator? I'm thinking PM a moderator, but I wanted to make sure. :) 

Definitely PM a moderator. Opening a thread discussing the issue would only invite comments from people who don't know what they are talking about.

25 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

What is the if you rubric for deciding if you guys will invite someone to become a mod?

If someone has consistently proved themselves to be helpful in the community and stick to the rules, if they have a positive effect on others, then maybe they will one day be invited to be a moderator. Sometimes we look for someone who speaks a specific language apart from English, as well.

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

How does a thread get re-opened? Do we just ask and then *poof!* thread opened?

You can ask for a thread to be re-opened and if we agree, then *poof!*

But it might have to stay closed, depending on why it was locked in the first place.

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

When were the "this thread is quite old" notifications on old threads added, and why?

Literally just now, and to help users know when they are about to respond to older threads. Hopefully this will help prevent accidental necromancy.

1 minute ago, Frybert said:

Literally just now, and to help users know when they are about to respond to older threads. Hopefully this will help prevent accidental necromancy.

Like for example, I looked at a post about battleships, commented on an explosion size, and got railed HEAVILY for necromancing and I was like "WTH DID I DO WRONG?!?!??" Note: This was when I had just joined and knew nothing :wink: 

When is necro-posting not necro-posting?

I mean, if I wanted to post a thread, but there is already an older thread that covers the same or similar stuff, why would it not be better to resurrect the old thread rather than create a totally new thread that covers the same thing?

NOTE: I am asking because I don't really know why resurrecting an old thread would be that bad...

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Relevance matters, right? I mean, I do still kind of like it when someone new finds Duna, Ore Bust! for the first time and leaves a nice comment...

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I mean, if I wanted to post a thread, but there is already an older thread that covers the same or similar stuff, why would it not be better to resurrect the old thread rather than create a totally new thread that covers the same thing?

NOTE: I am asking because I don't really know why resurrecting an old thread would be that bad...

It's not bad at all if you are adding something to the discussion. The plugin is just a reminder that it's an old thread and might not be up-to-date

12 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

tagging on to what adsii, why is necro-posting so bad. You guys speak of like it is an unknown evil. Why is that?

Again, its not really bad, as long as you're adding something to the discussion. As a matter of fact, its the one thing we get reports for that we don't act on the most. At the same time, a lot of people find threads through google, and then post in them after they haven't been relevant for quite some time. Then others come in not realizing how old it is. As @Deddly said earlier, we actually act more on necromoaning than we do necroposting. Some forums go as far as to have threads get autolocked (something some have suggested here, but we don't do for obvious reasons) after as little as two weeks without a post. As far as we're concerned, as long as the post is relevant (as well as the overall content of the thread in general), its perfectly fine.

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ok, what is a "necro-moan"? Is it something I missed in the Chronicles of Riddick?

When a user publicly complains about another user necroposting. Its often rude, and can quickly derail a thread into personal attacks. And, as previously state, a lot of times its not what we consider to be a necropost in the first place.

15 minutes ago, Frybert said:

When a user publicly complains about another user necroposting. Its often rude, and can quickly derail a thread into personal attacks. And, as previously state, a lot of times its not what we consider to be a necropost in the first place.

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for your time and explaining it to me. I really had no idea and I've been a member of this forum for a while.