Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

3 hours ago, munlander1 said:

Is it possible to crash a thread or the fourms by spamming? 

Disclaimer: I am not planning one, just curious.

I don't know about that, but I do know that I crashed a thread by pasting my KSP log into it. Would not recoemend.

2 hours ago, munlander1 said:

What's the nature of this stuff?

Private stuff.

20 hours ago, munlander1 said:

What's the nature of this stuff?

We don't speak about specifics of the moderation action taken, if any, of a specific member. So questions along the lines of "I reported this post, what did you guys do about it?" or "Why did so-and-so get banned?" won't be answered. This occasionally causes some mild difficulty for us as when two or more users devolving into name-calling or similar, they might all receive moderator attention but no one ever believes that they other people did too.

We also have some tools and techniques that we use when moderating that we don't discuss publicly; giving information about these makes them easier to sidestep.

11 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Why does it take so long for a thread to be unlocked when it is being maintained?

Sometimes it's not very long, but in cases where it takes some time, the moderators must be careful to discuss and maintain collaboration with each other in order to set the thread back on course in the best possible way. Call it bureaucracy, but the red tape we take on goes miles to ensure the quality and forum-appropriate content of a thread.

4 hours ago, munlander1 said:

Why does it take so long for a thread to be unlocked when it is being maintained?

Depends on the situation. Behind-the-scenes activity can include: 

1) Lock thread. 

2) Read thread. (Can take some time.) 

3) Compose warn messages as called for. 

3a) Check previous warn histories for people being cited. (If they have previous, similar warns, new warns will be for more points.) 

4) Consult with other moderators. 

5) Re-open thread. 

On 2/15/2017 at 5:18 PM, munlander1 said:

Is it possible to crash a thread or the fourms by spamming? 

Disclaimer: I am not planning one, just curious.

Sometimes the hype trains have DDoSed the forums, not to the point of a server crash, but enough that 502 pages would come up when you tried to view the forums.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist
502, not 404

13 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Dang, all of his are almost exactly the same.

Well, you can pick whichever smart-aleck response appeals to you the most:

• Option 1:  Hey, that's not true!  Sometimes I refer to you all as "folks", and other times as "gang"!
  • Option 2:  Well, if you people wouldn't keep being naughty the same way, I wouldn't have to keep admonishing you the same way, would I?
  • Option 3:  Hey, once one has achieved perfection, why tinker with it?

Or you can pick the real reason, which is just "Snark happens to be not just extraordinarily verbose, but also rather OCD about wordsmithing."  :wink:

28 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

How do you merge a thread?

It's rather simple, we have to be viewing the thread into which other posts will be merged, then hit the "merge" button in the "Moderation Actions" menu, a dialog shows asking for the URL of the thread about to be merged (which I'm never smart enough to have copied in advance :)). There are a couple technical things to be careful about, as IPS can get confused if we don't pay attention to something in the status of merging posts (we learned those the hard way).

17 minutes ago, diomedea said:

It's rather simple, we have to be viewing the thread into which other posts will be merged, then hit the "merge" button in the "Moderation Actions" menu, a dialog shows asking for the URL of the thread about to be merged (which I'm never smart enough to have copied in advance :)). There are a couple technical things to be careful about, as IPS can get confused if we don't pay attention to something in the status of merging posts (we learned those the hard way).

50 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

How do you merge a thread?

If they are in the same subforum, its even easier, as there are check boxes next to each thread. Click two threads, select merge, and a menu will pop up allowing you to select which title to keep.

Have to be careful with that 'Select all' box though...