Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

35 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Note- this is a bad idea to do.

@Dman979, I'm disappointed. You clearly didn't notice the sarcasm dripping from my post. :huh:

56 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Engage me in a political debate on the forum... and we'll surely get warning points together...

and that's because the discussion of politics is forbidden under forum rule 2.2...

11 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Dman979, I'm disappointed. You clearly didn't notice the sarcasm dripping from my post. :huh:

Oh, no, I did. :) I just wanted to clarify that you  do not want to earn points for those who might not understand the sarcasm.

24 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Oh, no, I did. :) I just wanted to clarify that you  do not want to earn points for those who might not understand the sarcasm.

Well, no peeking into my profile... you'll see (if you do) all mine were for political conversation...

2 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

How often do you find you have to preform moderation duties such as locking bad threads or editing/removing posts?

There's always plenty to do, honestly. The moderation team does a good job of taking action when it needs to, and as a result sometimes, I think, the forum population at large doesn't even realize how much the moderators actually do behind the scenes. I certainly didn't realized until I joined up.

The posts of new members go into a queue, where they are either approved or banned as spambots. The queue fills at roughly 2-10 posts per hour and must be cleared out several times per day.

We receive anywhere from zero to perhaps 10 reports per day, which we review, discuss amongst ourselves, and either leave alone or act upon. The action may include moving, warning, or warning and hiding from public view, or it may call for a reply. Less commonly, it might be split into a new thread, or merged into an existing one. Several times per week for those.  

We also each read a fair fraction of the forum's content ourselves, and actually find more issues that way than are reported to us. Threads submitted to the wrong subs, for example, are more often found by mods than reported to us. We move between zero and 10 of these per day. 

When we can, we also greet new members and answer player's questions about the game and the forum. 

I myself typically spend 1-4 hours per day on these activities. 

26 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

I notice that both @eloquentJane and @Dman979 are moderators (congratulations to the both of you!), but they weren't last week, so I have to ask: Are you currently recruiting moderators?

Yes we are. In the Announcements section, there is information on how to apply if you can speak fluent (preferably native) Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (simplified) or Russian.

Dman979 and EloquentJane don't speak those languages and they didn't apply - we asked them to join because they have a long record of sticking to the rules, being helpful and friendly, not getting into arguments and being generally awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

How do you make a poll on a topic you post?

When you create a topic, up towards the top you'll see a tab that says "Content," and one that says "Poll." I think you should be able to take it from there :)

2 minutes ago, Tex said:

When you create a topic, up towards the top you'll see a tab that says "Content," and one that says "Poll." I think you should be able to take it from there :)

Thanks, also, what about a topic you have already posted? 

Could I get some help with my forum sig? I've tried bbcode, html and juat inserting the url which is how I have it now. In the editor it displays the signature fine but when viewing my posts it just shows a little white box with the .png name. I know im missing something obvious.  The sig is from exophase.com for my PSN gamercard.

38 minutes ago, Kerbal-Willie said:

Could I get some help with my forum sig? I've tried bbcode, html and juat inserting the url which is how I have it now. In the editor it displays the signature fine but when viewing my posts it just shows a little white box with the .png name. I know im missing something obvious.  The sig is from exophase.com for my PSN gamercard.

Hmm, what do you mean? It looks fine to me.