Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

If I always have a tab open with the forum but am not always using it, does it still show me as being online?

I am not 100% sure. I know the old forum timed it from a page load/reload, but the new software does a bunch of Javascript stuff to update some page elements in real time. My guess would be "yes". 

My experience is that an inactive tab will eventually time out, but I couldn't tell you precisely how long that takes, on the order of a couple of hours I guess. And I strongly suspect that just making the tab active again is enough to reset the timer, so it has to stay in the background the whole time.

You can tell a tab has timed out and stopped updating because the forum prepends a little ⏸  character in the tab title.

• 2 weeks later...

Only the sender and receiver(s) can see a PM, with the following exceptions. 

Our IT people can, of necessity, view everything. We have occasionally asked them to look at something for the sake of fixing forum software glitches. 

If one of the participants hits the report button on a PM, the entire PM exchange thread is visible to all moderators. We review these to decide if the conduct is rule-breaking and needs to be acted upon. 

A few individuals are designated as forum admins, and they have access nearly as comprehensive as the IT people. I believe most of the Squad employees have this status, though I don't know how many of them have taken the trouble to find out how it works and actually do it. I do not know if any Take Two people have been given these permissions yet, though some of them would be entitled to it. 

In my experience, looking at PMs is something which comes up perhaps 5 times per, always in the context of one of the participants reporting it either as rule-breaking or a matter of a forum software glitch. 

8 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Our IT people can, of necessity, view everything. We have occasionally asked them to look at something for the sake of fixing forum software glitches. 

With this, how do they go about it? Is there permission-giving from those in the PM required first, or is it more look quietly and dont say anything? 

Edited by Benjamin Kerman
Cant spell...

22 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

With this, how do they go about it? Is there permission-giving from those in the PM required first, or is it more look quietly and dont say anything? 

Permission is not required, it's included in the terms of service when you create an account. 

That said, I consider it a tool of last resort and have never had cause to use it. I would only consider doing so if required by law or in a situation where someone might be in physical danger. 

1 hour ago, Adstriduum said:

This is a stupid question,

No it's not.

but what swear words are allowed? (Obviously not the strong ones.)

Without going into specifics, it's a good idea to keep language at about the level you might see in a PG-13 movie.

Edited by Dman979
Kids these days and their new rating system!

Just now, Dman979 said:

Without going into specifics, it's a good idea to keep language at about the level you might see in a PG-13 movie.

All due respect Your Moderateness, but a PG-13 rating currently allows unlimited F-bombs provided they're not used in a sexual context... and exactly one such utterance IN such context. I'm pretty sure I could have Sarge Kerman yell at a probe for twenty minutes straight with no censor bars, and it'd still be PG-13.

1 hour ago, Adstriduum said:

This is a stupid question, but what swear words are allowed? (Obviously not the strong ones.)

I'm actually quite curious about this myself... but in reverse. Is there a list of what words are not allowed? The reason I ask is because of writing Emiko Station I've encountered words you can't write... not just swear words. The one that immediately comes to mind is the 4-letter N-word for some Germans in WW2... paraphrasing.... Now I'm not sure I'd use it or not... I don't really have a reason... but I'm definitely not going to if the forum is going to auto-correct it into something else.

But  this makes me wonder what else I should avoid.... which is why I'm asking.

Edited by Just Jim

22 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

All due respect Your Moderateness, but a PG-13 rating currently allows unlimited F-bombs provided they're not used in a sexual context... and exactly one such utterance IN such context. I'm pretty sure I could have Sarge Kerman yell at a probe for twenty minutes straight with no censor bars, and it'd still be PG-13.

Ohh, good catch. I guess that PG-13 has changed from what I remember.

In that case, keep it G.

Just now, Just Jim said:

I'm actually quite curious about this myself... but in reverse. Is there a list of what words are not allowed? The reason I ask is because of writing Emiko Station I've encountered words you can't write... not just swear words. The one that immediately comes to mind is the 4-letter N-word for some Germans in WW2... paraphrasing.... Now I'm not sure I'd use it or not... I don't really have a reason... but I'm definitely not going to if the forum is going to auto-correct it into something else.

But  this makes me wonder what else I should avoid.... which is why I'm asking.

Yes, there is such a list. But I can't share it, as that would make it too easy for people to get around it.

7 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Yes, there is such a list. But I can't share it, as that would make it too easy for people to get around it.

And I happen to know from personal experience that the list includes non-English words as well, so gardez-vous!

ETA: Oh, and before anyone asks, no cutesy *** either that cover up most of the word but leave no doubt as to which word you meant. I've had THAT called out as well, in multiple languages :D Such perfidy is clearly and specifically prohibited by 2.2g (which, interestingly enough, seems to violate itself by way of an example...)

As my readers know, standard-issue Kerbfleet censor bars are sized to block the entire offensive word--or, if they do leave a letter or two exposed, said letters make no sense in context. What's REALLY fun is the garbage syllables I write that go under the censor bar--which are always clean enough for the Forum anyway, the censor bar is only there for comic effect. :) 

Edited by Kuzzter

2 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

did you change something recently that doesn't allow me to do over 150 word locations?

Yes. We had some complaints that excessively long locations were adversely affecting the readability of the forum, so a 150 character limit on them has been implemented. 

6 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Such perfidy is clearly and specifically prohibited by 2.2g (which, interestingly enough, seems to violate itself by way of an example...)

Well, it wouldn't be much of an example if people didn't know what it meant, right? :wink:

We can see the email address you used when registering at the forum, so that we can send you notifications, if need be. Your forum password is not displayed to regular moderators, but those of us with some admin access can reset it, but not see what it currently is. 

Okay, so, I made a new meme for docking. I want to get it out there and seen but I don't want to overdo it. Just how much can I spam it around at first (in appropriate places) before it starts to become bad form? I've only posted it three (now four) times so far...

55Ay5rN.png

Edited by StrandedonEarth