Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

I have a question, how exactly do you become a Moderator? Are you just randomly chosen? Are you sent a message like 'Great job on the forum, do you want to be a Moderator?'. Are you employees of SQUAD?

23 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I have a question, how exactly do you become a Moderator? Are you just randomly chosen?

No, we're not randomly chosen. When the mod team decides we need new members, we get together and list candidates, and discuss each one. The users we think are the best choices are invited to become a moderator.

We do look for users with clean infraction histories. While an infraction is not an automatic disqualification, most of the moderators had less than 2.

Are you sent a message like 'Great job on the forum, do you want to be a Moderator?'.

Yes. Mine said something almost exactly like that, but I can't share it because @Badie's not online to give me permission. (The rules apply to us, too. In this case, it's 2.2f.)

Really, though, it's not a half-bad guess. :D

Are you employees of SQUAD?

No! We're an all-volunteer team, with the exception of @Badie, the Community Lead. We don't receive any monetary compensation whatsoever from Squad or Take Two, although there have been the odd gifts of KSP merchandise as a way to say thank you. We don't do this for money, we do it because we love the community and want to contribute to it.

We did have to sign non-disclosure agreements before we received moderator permissions. Among other things, the NDAs protect your privacy, by preventing us from sharing  personal information, such as email addresses, birthdays, and real names.

Edited by Dman979
Added a word.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:11 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Are you sent a message like 'Great job on the forum, do you want to be a Moderator?'

Pretty much this.

As you can imagine, it really matters that we don't make anyone a moderator who shouldn't be one.  I don't just mean "avoid malicious people" (though obviously a "rogue" moderator would be a Very Bad Thing)-- it also calls for a variety of qualities.  Long-standing and frequent participation in the forums (we want someone who will stick around, and who's around enough to be able to do the job).  A wealth of evidence showing that they're dedicated to helping people.  Great communicator.  Not even a breath of a hint that they're someone who would go on a power trip.

Most important of all, even-tempered and unflappable-- moderators really have to have a thick skin and be resistant to trolling, and someone who loses their cool when the flame starts flying is just not going to be able to handle things.  It has to be someone who cannot be goaded, who can roll with the punches and not lash out.

So basically, when we think we need more moderators, we get together and propose candidates.  Someone will say, "Hey, how about So-and-so?" and the rest of the team goes "Oh yeah, that guy, can't believe we didn't make him a moderator long ago".  It's usually a slam-dunk:  someone who's really ready to be a moderator is generally pretty obvious.

So when we have a consensus, then we reach out to the person (privately), see if they're interested (not everyone is-- it's a hard, unrewarding, often thankless job), and then go from there.

5 minutes ago, Snark said:

Most important of all, even-tempered and unflappable-- moderators really have to have a thick skin and be resistant to trolling, and someone who loses their cool when the flame starts flying is just not going to be able to handle things.  It has to be someone who cannot be goaded, who can roll with the punches and not lash out.

This is most likely the big reason I've never been asked... lol....  :sticktongue:

(Besides, I don't really want the job...)

Edited by Just Jim

Normal user talking to each other  be like:

-bla bla bla

-look at my new craft 

-FOR SCIENCE

-bla bla bla

-bla bla bla

Moderator talking to each other  be like:

-ONE OF US!ONE OF US!ONE OF US!ONE OF US!

Edited by cratercracker

On 8/20/2017 at 11:11 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Are you sent a message like 'Great job on the forum, do you want to be a Moderator?'.

Now that Badie has given me permission, here's the PM I was sent:

On 3/27/2017 at 1:44 PM, Badie said:

Hi! 

I hope you are doing well. I´m writing you cause we are looking for new moderators and I wanted to know if you are interested in being part of this team? If you are please let me know !

Best 

23 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Now that Badie has given me permission, here's the PM I was sent:

Ok. It's always a good idea to check for permission before sharing something! By the way, is the picture of the dog on your profile a Labrador?

4 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Ok. It's always a good idea to check for permission before sharing something! By the way, is the picture of the dog on your profile a Labrador?

Not only is it a good idea, it's also required by the forum rules. :)

My avatar is of a Flat-Coated Retriever, the same breed as my dog was. There's a picture of my dog in my signature. BTW, he liked to chase cats, so be careful.

Can you add a poll to my existing thread " [1.2.*, 1.3] Notantares Space Industries - Stockalike Gemini Paraglider And More!" It seems I can't add a poll to an existing thread which has received many replies.

There would be four options:

Concept 1.

Concept 1 (With rear docking port).

Concept 2.

Other (Please specify).

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

3 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Can you add a poll to my existing thread " [1.2.*, 1.3] Notantares Space Industries - Stockalike Gemini Paraglider And More!" It seems I can't add a poll to an existing thread which has received many replies.

There would be four options:

Concept 1.

Concept 1 (With rear docking port).

Concept 2.

Other (Please specify).

Just create a new thread containing only the poll. This is what I did yesterday for a question regarding the Mods Library I am maintaining, plus side is if your thread contains a poll you can add and delete questions, this means that you can keep the same "poll thread" for several question at different times.

Spoiler

Now let me just preface my question with this statement - I'm not out to cause problems on the forum in spite of what @Dman979 and @monstah may claim... :blush:

Is there a way we can have a "bookmark" feature added to the forum? Something where when we see an OP we want to come back to later, we can simply bookmark it and those bookmarks be accessible across multi-platforms? I know we have that whole thing within the profile thing, but it is clumsy and awkward to use.

9 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Now let me just preface my question with this statement - I'm not out to cause problems on the forum in spite of what @Dman979 and @monstah may claim... :blush:

Is there a way we can have a "bookmark" feature added to the forum? Something where when we see an OP we want to come back to later, we can simply bookmark it and those bookmarks be accessible across multi-platforms? I know we have that whole thing within the profile thing, but it is clumsy and awkward to use.

You might be looking for the "Follow" option. In the top right of the threads, you can click follow, and then you can set notification preferences when the thread has a post, is updated, etc.

To see all the stuff you're following, click on your profile button on the top right, then click on "Manage Followed Content."

And please stop causing problems on the forum. :P

Just now, Dman979 said:

You might be looking for the "Follow" option. In the top right of the threads, you can click follow, and then you can set notification preferences when the thread has a post, is updated, etc.

To see all the stuff you're following, click on your profile button on the top right, then click on "Manage Followed Content."

And please stop causing problems on the forum. :P

No, I am familiar with that. But I want to be able to mark certain threads as "favorites" short of having to create another list. Something that could drop down and I simply select it and the forum goes to that OP.

And no, I love causing problems, that way I contribute to moderators earning their pay!

Just now, adsii1970 said:

No, I am familiar with that. But I want to be able to mark certain threads as "favorites" short of having to create another list. Something that could drop down and I simply select it and the forum goes to that OP.

Well, there's no stock way to do that on the IPS forums. However, I found this add-on with a little googling:

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8582-bookmarks/

It's probably what you're looking for.

It costs $20 USD to install, and $5 per month after that.

Just now, adsii1970 said:

And no, I love causing problems, that way I contribute to moderators earning their pay!

As I said before, we do this for free.

Dudes. As we keep saying, we only delete stuff if it breaks rules, or is part of an argument which breaks rules, or something like that. Although we get accused of censorship all the time, we're actually not in the business of removing your forum content. 

On 8/22/2017 at 9:19 PM, Just Jim said:

(Besides, I don't really want the job...)

Oddly enough, that makes you more qualified for the job. :)

On 8/28/2017 at 3:10 PM, adsii1970 said:

Perhaps I'm not understanding, but isn't this something that the bookmark feature of your browser handles nicely? Most browsers support synced bookmarks across devices already.

2 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Oddly enough, that makes you more qualified for the job. :)

Perhaps I'm not understanding, but isn't this something that the bookmark feature of your browser handles nicely? Most browsers support synced bookmarks across devices already.

Actually, I do have them bookmarked and synced. But when you have a bunch of bookmarks like I do... and a folder list that has about 60 folders, I was just thinking it would be nice to have the forum bookmarks within the forum.

41 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Actually, I do have them bookmarked and synced. But when you have a bunch of bookmarks like I do... and a folder list that has about 60 folders, I was just thinking it would be nice to have the forum bookmarks within the forum.

Just do what I do and leave your tabs open. 

All of them. Alwaysಠ_ಠ