Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

2 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Primarily because I want to receive updates from people like HatBat, but not necessarily from people that post four or five times a day :D Too many notifications, and all.....

What about following the specific thread? You should be able to set how often you receive updates.

3 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Primarily because I want to receive updates from people like HatBat, but not necessarily from people that post four or five times a day :D Too many notifications, and all.....

What I mean is, why follow the ones who post five times a day, if you don't want notifications from them? I don't use the feature very much, so I'm genuinely curious as to what purpose it would serve to follow someone but not have notifications from them.

4 minutes ago, Deddly said:

What I mean is, why follow the ones who post five times a day, if you don't want notifications from them? I don't use the feature very much, so I'm genuinely curious as to what purpose it would serve to follow someone but not have notifications from them.

I'm Canadian, so following someone is, for me, like saying 'hey I feel like you're a nice person so I'll just show my support.'

It's not usually because I want to receive notifications :D

It's funny how all the Canadian stereotypes are almost always true to some extent lol (I'm getting sidetracked. My question has been resolved though, so it's fine :D Thanks)

2 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

I'm Canadian, so following someone is, for me, like saying 'hey I feel like you're a nice person so I'll just show my support.'

It's not usually because I want to receive notifications :D

It's funny how all the Canadian stereotypes are almost always true to some extent lol (I'm getting sidetracked. My question has been resolved though, so it's fine :D Thanks)

Just tell your notification preferences NOT to notify you when you follow someone. That way, you do not see everything they do unless you are following a thread they happen to comment on.

That's what I do.

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So your power here is so great you can even manipulate the staff, eh? And you say you’re not out to conquer the galaxy.  :wink:

"You don't want to give me a warning."

I don't want to give you a warning.

"You want to go home and rethink your life."

I want to go home and rethink my life.

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So your power here is so great you can even manipulate the staff, eh? And you say you’re not out to conquer the galaxy.  :wink:

Hehehe...

OK, what happened is I posted a video a couple weeks ago for the "Destroy the KSC" challenge. When you read the intro you'll understand.

Truth be told, I was really, really flattered and blown away when Badie actually went and changed her name after watching it!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

On 11/26/2017 at 9:00 PM, Dman979 said:

To piggyback off of what @Deddly said, we inform every user who has had something of their changed- whether it's a post in the thread, a note if we had to do some editing, a PM, or a warning. Sometimes, though, we don't inform everyone who may have seen the post. For instance, we don't share if and why users have been warned, since that's a private matter between the moderators and the specific member.

So, recent events in a Mission Reports thread-which-will-not-be-named reminded me of this discussion. Moderation action was taken resulting in the entire thread being "sent off", IMO for darn good reason. I presume that per stated policy the mods informed the OP of that thread. (I wouldn't know, because it ain't none of my business) However, this very Wise and Just Moderation Action resulted in a bunch of posts including one of my own disappearing as well. 

Not that I really need the post back--heck, I can see I got to keep the rep from it and goodness knows if there's anyone who needs more rep around here it's me. But I wonder if it might be a good idea to leave a note in the affected sub-forum when a thread is removed? For example, "Thread Such-And-Such has been removed consistent with Community Guideline whatever point whatever". (though in this case, with the thread title itself being IMO remarkably offensive, you'd have had to call it something else)

Benefits of leaving a note:

• People know a moderation action has been taken and that future similar shenanigans are not OK.
  • Serves as a warning to the bad an a sense of warm, sweeeeeet justice to the good.

Downside of leaving a note:

• "But...but this is censorship! DOWN WITH THE MODS! BOOOO! HISSSSSSS! I demand that you explain for the hundredth time why we have community guidelines! And I WILL NOT ACCEPT that explanation because I seem to have confused editorial discretion with civil rights! Besides, I hear worse on the school bus/I said a lot worse when I was a kid/this other terrible person did the same thing once and I TURNED OUT JUST FINE! Free speech! Free lunch! FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!"

...care to comment? :) 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

...care to comment?

Wow... I have to think about this one a bit.

First off, I refused to even comment on the thread in question... so I don't have any rep points to worry about... not that I'm really worried about them one way or the other. I find the higher it gets, the less I really pay attention.

Anyway... I was a little curious when I woke up and saw the thread was gone... Not locked up, but totally gone, which I believe is unprecedented. Now it was pretty clear what happened, but a note would have settled any confusion...

However, having said that, I'm not sure I even want to acknowledge it's existence with a note... maybe it's better off buried and forgotten.

So I'm torn.... :huh:

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Um... what happened, exactly? :blink:

A thread containing offensive content was posted. It doesn't matter exactly what the content was. I'm not going to say what the content was and I'm not giving hints. Several people replied to the thread. Later, the thread was removed from the forum. 

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

A thread containing offensive content was posted. It doesn't matter exactly what the content was. I'm not going to say what the content was and I'm not giving hints. Several people replied to the thread. Later, the thread was removed from the forum. 

I am a "free speech" kinda guy. However, with free speech comes the responsibility to assure that what you are saying, especially within  a forum setting such as this forum, are within the forum guidelines established by the forum owner. Free speech ends when you begin using a product (such as a forum) that is not intended to be a "free speech" zone. The purpose of this forum has always been to 1) promote the Kerbal Space Program on its various platforms, 2) to give those who enjoy it a place to discuss the game that's "official" and controlled by Squad or its designees (moderators), 3) to create a setting where a KSP community  could develop. And because of these goals and Squad's ownership of the forum, we still have free speech within set boundaries.

With that said, the thread in question (which I also will not mention) was done with the probable intent of quickly achieving either popularity or readership. Personally, I think it was a younger forum user who has become enamored with a certain part of history  -- mainly the military hardware of that era -- and put no thought into the social or moral aspects of the leadership in question. And it backfired in a mighty way. Yes, the thread did get attention but probably not the attention intended.

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... I have to think about this one a bit.

First off, I refused to even comment on the thread in question... so I don't have any rep points to worry about... not that I'm really worried about them one way or the other. I find the higher it gets, the less I really pay attention.

Anyway... I was a little curious when I woke up and saw the thread was gone... Not locked up, but totally gone, which I believe is unprecedented. Now it was pretty clear what happened, but a note would have settled any confusion...

However, having said that, I'm not sure I even want to acknowledge it's existence with a note... maybe it's better off buried and forgotten.

So I'm torn.... :huh:

I gave rep to @Kuzzter's response on that thread because he said exactly what I was thinking. But I also did the thing that the moderators asked us to do when we come across things that bother us on the forum. Instead of thrashing and trashing, I reported it. And yes, I did comment and share a piece of my family's history - but to educate as to why the thread's OP and intent was, for all practical purposes, offensive to me as a forum user.

The thread needed to be removed (at the most) and although my opinion matters not, I agree that it had no business being on the forum. However, at the least, @Just Jim has offered another option but then the problem I see with that is would it draw more attention to the bad OP than what it truly deserved? It is a tough call and I think the moderators made the correct call.

As a forum member, it is not my responsibility to "moderate" anyone's posts but my own. If I think it's offensive, I will report it. If it is questionable, I will report it. Otherwise, if I just don't like it, I ignore it because it's probably my personal opinion regarding the content. As a professional historian, it is my responsibility to educate when facts, events, or people come into question and it is within my ability to provide guidance through an answer.

And this is where I ask a moderator to clarify what I have come to understand ( @Dman979, @Vanamonde, or maybe even @Red Iron Crown)  From previous conversations I have had with other moderators (the same ones who've awarded me most of my infractions), a removed post that was liked - at least in the old forum, will not change the author's post count or reduce the likes the user has. But I am not sure if it is the same thing for an entire thread.  Seems that it would be similar, but then again, I might be mistaken.

15 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

But I also did the thing that the moderators asked us to do when we come across things that bother us on the forum. Instead of thrashing and trashing, I reported it. And yes, I did comment and share a piece of my family's history - but to educate as to why the thread's OP and intent was, for all practical purposes, offensive to me as a forum user.

FWIW I reported the thread several hours before I posted my comment, because it's the mods' job and ONLY the mods' job to enforce Forum rules. However, like you, I felt an obligation to stand up and say "this is not OK", as I hope I would do if I heard such speech anywhere, and from anyone.

27 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

FWIW I reported the thread several hours before I posted my comment, because it's the mods' job and ONLY the mods' job to enforce Forum rules. However, like you, I felt an obligation to stand up and say "this is not OK", as I hope I would do if I heard such speech anywhere, and from anyone.

This was one of the few times I actually did exactly what the Moderators told me to do...  :0.0:

I have never had a warning... publicly. Privately, I'll admit it, I've had several. And all for the exact same reason... I have a big mouth... lol.  There have been quite a few times I lost my temper, and crossed over into the "Backseat moderating" realm... And each time I get a PM telling me, in so many words, not to lose my temper, and report it instead.

Well... this thread in question... yeah... I was really upset, and I knew if I started, I wouldn't have stopped... and I probably would have made things worse...

For once, I did what the moderators said, I bit my tongue, and reported it instead of writing what I truly felt about it... :mad:

13 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

*Wonders if this entire page falls under Guideline 3.3*

Maybe... I'm not sure. I'm not questioning the moderators part in this... not at all, I totally support it. But this is a sort of unique case... So if they do feel we're violating 3.3, they can delete my comments, no problem.

Let's not lose sight of the actual Question, which had to do with whether or not the mods think it's a good idea to leave a note when they remove a whole thread :) 

7 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Maybe... I'm not sure. I'm not questioning the moderators part in this... not at all, I totally support it. But this is a sort of unique case... So if they do feel we're violating 3.3, they can delete my comments, no problem.

Same here. We are not discussing the actions of the moderators in the negative sense. If anything, we are demonstrating unconditional support of the moderation staff. Maybe I am a moron, but I thought a 3.3 violation would be something like this:

That moderator, green iron crown, is picking on me. He's unfair and just doesn't like it that I've got more likes than he does. Can you believe he gave me points for calling adsii1970 a moron?

5 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Not locked up, but totally gone, which I believe is unprecedented.

No, not without precedent. One thing is, for example, "this is a subject we don't allow discussion because people get personal". We lock these up, and there's no further action required. A different situation is, "we don't allow this content to be on the forum, because its very existence is highly offensive and/or harmful to others". Adult content, for example. We can usually getting by just editing the post, but sometimes we hide it entirely (and let people know in the thread). This is similar, only on a thread-wide scale.

Now, while I agree with @Kuzzter that transparency is ideal, in these cases I don't think there's a good place to announce the action: there's no thread left for a post to be made in, and a forum-wide announcement would just draw more attention to the undesired subject and not serve any true purpose, since the people who might complain about the thread gone would most likely have been warned about it already (that is my opinion, other moderators' might differ)

@adsii1970 Ha. Green Iron Crown. Points for remembering that. I miss Red :( 

@Just Jim @Kuzzter and, no, as far as I can tell you're not into 3.3 ground.

22 minutes ago, monstah said:

A different situation is, "we don't allow this content to be on the forum, because its very existence is highly offensive and/or harmful to others". Adult content, for example. We can usually getting by just editing the post, but sometimes we hide it entirely (and let people know in the thread).

OK... put into this context it makes perfect sense to just delete the whole thing. :wink:

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK... put into this context it makes perfect sense to just delete the whole thing. :wink:

Delete what thing? No idea what you're talking about :wink: