Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

It seems so? No visits since march and he has been taken off of the role of Global Moderator.

Man, I didn't even know. Red Iron Crown was a friend I enjoyed hanging out with and getting to know through the forum. :(

We haven't been able to make contact with @Red Iron Crown in a while, so it was decided to remove his permissions for safety concerns.

Speaking for myself, I'm really sad that he's gone. He was really helpful to me when I first joined, and when I was a new moderator. I think there's a spot waiting for him if he wants to come back.

6 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

We haven't been able to make contact with @Red Iron Crown in a while, so it was decided to remove his permissions for safety concerns.

Speaking for myself, I'm really sad that he's gone. He was really helpful to me when I first joined, and when I was a new moderator. I think there's a spot waiting for him if he wants to come back.

I hate it when those whom I've come to know and respect just disappear. I'm glad that you all would allow him to resume moderating if he returns.

Whomever they recruit to replace him has some pretty big shoes to fill...

Edited by adsii1970

It is not unprecedented for us to remove an entire thread. In fact, there's a whole little moderators-only subforum where we store these things. They are not deleted because we want to keep a record of our member's conduct for future reference: merely moved to this internal storage. That being said, neither is it a common thing for us to do, and we don't do it for whimsical reasons. It's a last-resort-kind-of-a-situation for threads which are so full of offensive material or built around such a problematic subject that there's no salvaging it. (Replies to a removed topic would be, of course, senseless.) 

Hiding a post from public view, or even deleting it (which we only do with spambots anyway) does NOT change the forum members' post count or like count. You keep those no matter what happens to the posts themselves. 

It would be nice if we could inform each person who posted in the thread when we do this, but there are several reasons that we don't. For one thing, as soon as we point out that something was removed, what happens is exactly what you're seeing here. Human nature being what it is, everybody wants to ask what was removed, which goes nowhere because it's something we can't discuss openly or it wouldn't have needed removal in the first place. If we didn't want to do it publicly we could send PMs, but that's simply a lot of PMs to post and dispatch. And last but not least, we do not advertise that something was removed because we do not want to encourage mass-shaming of the forum member who posted the troublesome content. You can see in this thread that there's already been some speculation about and attributing of motivations to the person in question, when in fact all any of us actually knows is that the content was posted. Does it really matter why? Moderation has always been a confidential thing, and we won't discuss the actions we do or do not take toward another person any more than you would want us telling others what we said and did to you. 

As for Red Iron Crown, real life demands and other interests have recently drawn several people away from the moderation team. But we also have a couple of new people. :D The list of moderators is kept current, if you want to know who is presently on the team. 

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

The moderators have a forbidden library!

:o

I'm sure "access to the restricted section" is among the top perqs for mods... offsetting somewhat the Augean chore of keeping the Forum clean, and having to explain the methods of doing so over and over again... :)

This is (just one) reason I won't ever be a mod...one of the key perqs of my position is never having to explain myself :D Thanks @monstah, @Vanamonde--makes perfect sense.

ETA: and it's not just Augean--it's Sisyphean, too!

Edited by Kuzzter

4 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I'm sure "access to the restricted section" is among the top perqs for mods... offsetting somewhat the Augean chore of keeping the Forum clean, and having to explain the methods of doing so over and over again... :)

This is (just one) reason I won't ever be a mod...one of the key perqs of my position is never having to explain myself :D Thanks @monstah, @Vanamonde--makes perfect sense.

ETA: and it's not just Augean--it's Sisyphean, too!

Ancient mythology on point. LZLZbeU.gif

I just hope they keep a close watch on the place when they have impressionable young acolytes joining the cloister (I'm looking at you, @Ten Key :wink:).

As long as we're on the subject, a thread was deleted today because it turned out to have been created by a spambot. When that happens, unfortunately, all the posts in the thread are deleted along with the original post. The forum software does not give us the option to save the posts, which is not that much of a loss anyway, because they would be replies to something which no longer exists. And as I said earlier, you folks keep your post counts and likes even if the post themselves are deleted. 

23 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

As long as we're on the subject, a thread was deleted today because it turned out to have been created by a spambot

So a spambot created a post that actually generated replies?  Those things are getting scary.

23 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

And as I said earlier, you folks keep your post counts and likes even if the post themselves are deleted. 

But what if we don't want to? :blink:

14 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

So a spambot created a post that actually generated replies?  Those things are getting scary.

Well, it was a human spammer. But yes, I'm concerned about Turing Tests, too.

14 hours ago, KSK said:

If it's not aboard a secret base in synchronous orbit over Mexico, I'm going to be disappointed. :) 

Something something Moderation Nation Observation Space Station location. :wink:

On 12/12/2017 at 6:16 PM, adsii1970 said:

Did I miss something? Is @Red Iron Crown gone?

He hasn't visited since March 5th.  

How often do you get bots that make advertisement threads? 

How do you become a moderator?  Just curious.  Is there a pop up on the screen that says "You are now a moderator.  With great power comes great responsibility."

:)

Some of us log in "anonymously." This alters some displayed information, such as the most recent date. It does not always reflect presence on the forum. 

How often do you get bots that make advertisement threads? 

Spambots make accounts 0-10 times per day. We catch almost all of them when they go through the newbie process which requires manual moderator approval for an account's first 5 posts. Occasionally one sneaks by disguised as a person, or as in the case of the one I mentioned deleting today, we suspected that it was a bot right away but gave it the benefit of the doubt until we could confirm it. 

How do you become a moderator?  Just curious.  Is there a pop up on the screen that says "You are now a moderator.  With great power comes great responsibility." 

Often we send an invitation to people who seem like candidates, but sometimes we also ask for applications. It's mostly handled through PMs. 

47 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

In my case, I noticed when I saw tools that I wasn't able to see before.

48 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

And I haven't visited since the beginning of November. :P

4 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Posts in some areas (e.g. forum games) do not affect a person's post count :)

I knew the games didn't, but for some reason I though The Lounge did, and that's where one of the posts in question was.

I just posted in the lounge and see mine didn't go up.  I got it now!

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, JazzCorpDivo said:

I have a question about looking for addons for a certain mod. Where do I post said question?

The thread for the mod in question sounds like the best place, or failing that, in Add-On Discussions.