Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

37 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Hi all, I went on to the forums about half an hour ago, and was met by a '502 Bad Gateway' error thing, with an n/ginx thing or something. What is it, and why did this happen? Was it only me who got this, or was the whole website down. 

No idea, but there have been several little glitches lately. 

I've heard that the site is undergoing tweaks... 

I thought so for a while, but our IT guy says he hasn't been doing anything. 

21 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I've seen that a few times over the last week or so.  I've heard that the site is undergoing tweaks, so it's probably just some service being restarted when it goes out momentarily like that.

Ok. Was the error that happened today only displaying for me? Or for everyone who went on the site did they also get the error.

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Ok, It's good to know that it didn't just happen to me

No, I got it too... I figured they were just doing maintenance... but if it's glitchy, I'm gonna go make sure I have everything backed up... :wink:

Just now, Just Jim said:

No, I got it too... I figured they were just doing maintenance... but if it's glitchy, I'm gonna go make sure I have everything backed up... :wink:

Yeah, I don't want the whole site to reboot and wipe all data clean or something! (I've probably just jinxed us all by saying that... :rolleyes:)

5 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Yeah, I don't want the whole site to reboot and wipe all data clean or something! (I've probably just jinxed us all by saying that... :rolleyes:)

I hear you... I have all of Emiko Station backed up into MS-Word, just in case of something catastrophic like that. But I needed to double check I had the last couple chapters. :wink:

Just now, Just Jim said:

I hear you... I have all of Emiko Station backed up into MS-Word, just in case of something catastrophic like that. But I needed to double check I had the last couple chapters. :wink:

Cool! 

24 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Big enough to publish as an eBook yet? :D

We're getting a little off topic, but it's nearly 200,000 words at his point, so I'm sure it's more than big enough. The problem is it's not just my decision. While the rights to the story are probably legally mine, the rights to the game itself belongs to @SQUAD. So it would have to be a joint effort, and right now I think they're too busy with the next update, and the Making History expansion.

Plus, quite simply, Emiko Station is still far, far from over... :rolleyes:

Back on topic:

56 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

There is a precedent...  <_<

This all reminds me I really need to get Revelations backed up too.  

Agreed!

It can happen, so I would still recommend each and every fan-fiction writer back everything up now and then, just to be safe.

Edited by Just Jim

9 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What powers does the Moderator, Global Moderator, and SQUAD Staff member have? Like are there any differences between them?

There was a time when Globals could merge duplicate accounts and change usernames, but I think only Admins can do that now (you don't see much of them, I suppose). Global Moderators and Moderators have the same power in terms of forum software, but we defer to the globals when it comes to hairy decisions. Staff Members, AFAIK, have no moderating power, but some of them are also moderators.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What powers does the Moderator, Global Moderator, and SQUAD Staff member have? Like are there any differences between them?

• Moderators have the power to maintain the forum.  Move / hide posts, issue warns, approve queued posts.
  • Global Moderators are like Moderators, but grumpier.
  • SQUAD Staff have the power to make KSP.

:)

In practice, most "SQUAD Staff" accounts have nothing to do with running the forums (nor do they want to), because it's not their job and they've got other stuff to do to keep them busy.  Some "Squad Staff", however, are specifically concerned with the running of the forums and doing whatever is needed there-- specifically our community leads @Darth Badie and @UomoCapra (who are the ultimate authority regarding anything involving policy and rules), and @ManeTI (who's on the technical side of things, and responsible for the care and feeding of the forum software).   And @technicalfool, who wears a moderator's hat despite also being Squad staff, apparently because he's a glutton for punishment.

On 1/30/2018 at 6:55 AM, Dman979 said:

183135, to be exact.

On 1/30/2018 at 3:36 PM, Geonovast said:

How many of those have at least 2 posts?

I dids dah maths! :D

As of 2018-02-02:

7635 pages of members, each page with 24 members, for a count of roughly 183,240

Of these 183,240, only 2483 pages (59,592) of members have at least ONE post.

Which means that there are roughly 5152 pages worth of members (123,648 members in total) which have not posted at all. It looks like most of these have no profile pictures, and logged in only once, when they created their account.

Slightly more active members: Only 741 pages worth of members (17,784) have at least 10 posts. A lot of these still have no profile pictures, and have little to no reputation.  Many haven't logged on in a long, long time.

Now, members with at least 100 posts:

186 pages worth of members have at least 100 posts. This amounts to about 4,464 members, which isn't very much. About half have profile pictures, but a significant amount of them are inactive.

From the first of January, 2017, to the first of January, 2018, there have been 10,848 new members. Sadly, I can't seem to be able to organize them by post count this time around :( Roughly 29-30 new members every day.

First of January, 2016, to first of January, 2017, saw 15,768 new members. Roughly 43 new people every day.

First of January, 2015, to first of January, 2016, saw 21,690 new members. Roughly 59-60 new people every day

I think there's a trend :/

But there's your daily dose of statistics :) (I'm a big fan of stats. Idk why lol)

Some stats might be inaccurate. I didn't double check :P

10 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

A lengthy exchange about what should and should not be done as forum moderation has been removed from this thread. Please take that kind of thing to PMs in future. 

????

I must have slept through it :P