Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Question though - how are forum posts "removed" Its by being moved or so to some wasteland of dead/redacted posts, is it? Or somehow else?

We have three choices. We can hard delete it, but we only ever do that with spam posts or buggy things which can't be saved, such as huge error log files which are causing forum glitches. We don't like to do that, though, because it doesn't leave a record of what has happened. Most often we "hide" posts, which leaves them where they are and visible to moderators, but normal forum members do not see them. For the really nasty stuff, we have a subforum, not accessible by normal forum members, where we can move things for storage and possible later reference. 

On 15/02/2018 at 12:58 PM, Just Jim said:

OK. I have a question...

My last Emiko Station chapter was pretty huge, aprox. 9,500 words, and somewhere around 300 screenshots total. Now that one was a bit of an exception, and I don't plan on making all of them that big... But it got me thinking.

Just how big is too big for one post, as far as number of screenshots and all that? 

Don't know about screenshots, but at 25,000 words the forums' editor still works decently if you ignore the occasional lags.

14 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

If so, has anything even changed on the forums?

The front page of the store now has an extra link at the bottom called 'New Privacy Policy' that wasn't there before, warning about the new terms coming March 6th.

I haven't noticed any other changes.

13 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Hopefully the fixed the issue with private messages

No. That apparently wasn't worthy of a fix...

11 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Did the post and rep count not have commas before, or am I imagining things?

Yes, that is new. Not sure if I like it or not. So many other things could have used some TLC... but a COMMA?!

9 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

There was an announcement yesterday. We're on a new hosting service now. 

Oh, ok...

I did notice that there's now a device list within the profile that shows our devices logged onto the forum. Is this new?

44 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Where's this?

Underneath your profile settings:

VjedM13.png

and when you click this neat little button, you will get this:

vfLxzj4.png

And as you can see, there's also a history of where the log-in has happened based on the IP location of the device. Kinda handy.

I do not see it showing up within the mobile device version of the forum yet but I do know the software supports it. I am on another forum (with the same user name) which utilizes this forum software.

Edited by adsii1970

@adsii1970 Oh right, now I know what you mean. That feature was there before, but I have no idea if it was limited to moderators because I only discovered it a relatively short time ago. My location in that list is all over the place and not at all accurate.

2 minutes ago, Deddly said:

@adsii1970 Oh right, now I know what you mean. That feature was there before, but I have no idea if it was limited to moderators because I only discovered it a relatively short time ago. My location in that list is all over the place and not at all accurate.

I don't remember seeing that feature on this forum before the update. I could be wrong...

1 hour ago, monstah said:

Yeah, I'd never seen it before, and - holy crap it puts my location all over the country too!

Me too.  I don't remember the last time I was in Oklahoma, Minnesota, or Chicago.  I don't think I've ever been to Georgia.  I know I have never been to Colorado or Massachusetts.

I have definitely never been to Amsterdam, North Holland.

I've also apparently been to a place called 47,8.

I don't think that I like that it keeps track of my locations.  I mean, what's the point when it's so horrifically inaccurate because of the way ISPs handle IP pool assignments anyway?