Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I have definitely never been to Amsterdam, North Holland.

I've also apparently been to a place called 47,8.

That's popping up for me too, want to meet up at 47,8 sometime? :) 

5 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Are mods not accepting PM's at this time? Fallout from hosting move? (I haven't tried in ~6 months.) I got "____ cannot receive messages." 

I'm not aware of any trouble. Who were you trying to message? I don't mean to be nosey, but he could check his inbox if you're willing to say. 

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I'm not aware of any trouble. Who were you trying to message? I don't mean to be nosey, but he could check his inbox if you're willing to say. 

You've got mail! it was not sending when I wrote the question above. Tried 2-3 times, to two different moderators. Started to think it might be a browser issue, but, it "sent" when I tried it just now.

What happens when a report is filed? Is there some kind of tab thing for mods that say who's reported what (Kind of like the notifications tab)?

*looks up*

Oh my god, vanamonde has 11,000 posts... jaysus

When somebody reports a post, we moderators get something like the PM notifications you guys get. The reports go into a queue of stuff waiting to be addressed, which is also somewhat similar to your PM inboxes. 

(And there are several people who have way more posts than I have.) 

Entirely Hypothetical Question:

If the forum were to be struck by viral attackers that would damage the forums, or otherwise damage its users (like myself), what would the moderation/technical teams response be? 

-and no, I’m not curious so I can try, I’ve just been watching some videos on malicious data attacks and can’t help but wonder what safe guards a good community might have.

9 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

What happens when a report is filed? Is there some kind of tab thing for mods that say who's reported what (Kind of like the notifications tab)?

*looks up*

Oh my god, vanamonde has 11,000 posts... jaysus

Also, hello again.

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

And there are several people who have way more posts than I have

I was actually coming to this thread to ask just this question, and lo and behold, it is on topic. Who has the most posts on the forums? @Vanamonde has the most I can remember seeing, though it is possible that I might have seen someone with more.

45 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Entirely Hypothetical Question:

If the forum were to be struck by viral attackers that would damage the forums, or otherwise damage its users (like myself), what would the moderation/technical teams response be?

I'm sure you understand that telegraphing a potential response opens the door to ever-more dangerous attacks, so I think it's best that we don't answer. :)

45 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Also, hello again.

Hello again.

Just now, Cadet_BNSF said:

I was actually coming to this thread to ask just this question, and lo and behold, it is on topic. Who has the most posts on the forums? @Vanamonde has the most I can remember seeing, though it is possible that I might have seen someone with more.

The great @sal_vager has the most posts on the forum, with 17757. As of right now, @TexanAviator has the least posts on the forum (and welcome aboard!)

Just now, Dman979 said:
9 minutes ago, Cadet_BNSF said:

The great @sal_vager has the most posts on the forum, with 17757. As of right now, @TexanAviator has the least posts on the forum (and welcome aboard!)

Wow that was a fast response. That answers my question then. Also, he is three posts away from ten times a very patriotic number of posts.:D 

At least for an American

Just now, Cadet_BNSF said:

Wow that was a fast response. That answers my question then. Also, he is three posts away from ten times a very patriotic number of posts.:D 

At least for an American

Might be treasonous for him- he's British! :wink:

I can no longer post from the desktop version at all. Not allowed to click on text field. This is from my phone. 

Can anyone else on a Mac post?

i have no text field to click into anymore.

I was using Firefox until a couple hours ago, then it utterly stopped working with this forum. I restarted the machine, and tried 3 browsers, and only Chrome now works (all used to work).

I changed nothing at all, the same forum window that had been open suddenly no longer worked. Flash, etc is up to date.

Mac.

Just tried another, older Mac. Doesn't work with Safari.

23 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Update your browsers and your computer if you haven't already.

The browsers are all current. My OS is not (Yosemite). If my OS was current (High Sierra), then the KSP forum would not matter to me, since KSP doesn't like the current Mac OS, apparently.

Quick question:

I've made a mod that changes Kerbals names, using US Census data (popular names in the US).

Before I release it I need to check this. One of the names it's generated is a word that means "female genitalia" here in the UK, although it's an acceptable name in the US. It's not a bad word per se, it's used as a "kiddy-ism" for that area of the body, but it's skating a bit close to 2.2c so I want to check,

(the word is spoilered just in case I run foul of 2.2c, please remove if it still runs afoul of that rule)

Spoiler

The word is "Fanny" - I've also noticed "Willie" which with a slight change of spelling would be the equivalent male part of the body in UK colloquialism

Can I get away with a release on the basis that it's just a cultural difference, or do I really need to go and vet all 7000 odd names?

Edited by severedsolo

Just now, Deddly said:

@severedsolo with names like that, context is everything. Fanny Kerman as a name in an innocent setting should be absolutely fine. But if someone starts making dirty jokes about them, that will be absolutely not OK.

Thanks for the clarification. If it becomes a problem I will of course remove them, I just don't really fancy going through 7000 lines worth of names.