Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

28 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

@GregroxMun granted me edit permissions in his repository earlier today, but I don't want to think of it as 'owning' the mod. I've pinged him here to see what he wants. After this I think he wants to take a break from it.

You should create your own thread, with a link on both threads to each other.

Hey, um, maybe it’s just cuz I’m on mobile, but I seemed to have lost the ability to search within a specific thread? There’s a search button at the top of the page, but it only seems to let me search the entire forum, or very broad selections like tags or members. Didn’t used to be like this..?

Is there any reason the amount of likes we can hand out is capped?    There are so many good posts on here, and they all deserve love, but apparently I only have so much love to offer.    I think your own rep goes up a bit when you like something else, but seeing as rep does nothing really, I don't see why we can't up the limit some (double?).  Or make a sliding scale, 0-20 posts X likes, 20-100 posts Y likes, 100+ posts Z likes.   Dunno if that's compatible with the forum engine though. 

Edited by Gargamel

Hmm, say if i request my account to be deleted, would you fulfil that?

Or can I sue TakeTwo and use the money to pay for my college fee? I think 20mil is probably enough.

BTW EU here

Edited by MaxZhao

4 hours ago, MaxZhao said:

Hmm, say if i request my account to be deleted, would you fulfil that?

Or can I sue TakeTwo and use the money to pay for my college fee? I think 20mil is probably enough.

BTW EU here

Forum accounts contain no personal information unless you added it yourself. If you did add those details, it's simple to remove them without needing a moderator to do so.

17 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

There are people who abuse the rep system, so the rate at which points can be given has a limit. And that limit has already been raised once, so it's not likely to be raised again. 

I can't imagine any forum user abusing the rep system... <_<

Just a little one: I discovered today that my account was reported as logged in some hours earlier while I did not connect for the last three days. I just looked at the "Recently Used Devices" but it only shows information about the last log in. Would there be a way in the user account to access an archive of others recent connections?

Edited by XB-70A
Words mistake...

On 5/28/2018 at 4:02 PM, Deddly said:

Forum accounts contain no personal information unless you added it yourself. If you did add those details, it's simple to remove them without needing a moderator to do so.

You're saying what you THINK, not what's TRUE. The EU Data Protection Reform Art. 4 (1) dictates that people have the right to have their information, INCLUDING my email address erased if I wanted to, unless you are legally required to store them. Which people currently cannot do. If TakeTwo expect to bind players and forum users with their EULA and forum rules maybe you're expected to comply with the law?

46 minutes ago, MaxZhao said:

You're saying what you THINK, not what's TRUE.

Actually, everything I said was true. You don't need a moderator to remove your email address from your account. Go ahead and try it, it's accessible in your profile.

2 hours ago, Deddly said:

You don't need a moderator to remove your email address from your account. Go ahead and try it, it's accessible in your profile.

But an email address is required to replace whatever the one you're currently using.  So, it appears its not possible to have an account here without an associated email address?

With having to re-activate your account with the new email, it would appear you cannot simply supply a fake email address i.e email @ email.com

2AyIf70.png

Edited by klesh

3 hours ago, MaxZhao said:

INCLUDING my email address erased if I wanted to, unless you are legally required to store them. 

To tell you the true (emphasis are mine).

In particular, a data subject should have the right to have his or her personal data erased and no longer processed where the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are collected or otherwise processed, where a data subject has withdrawn his or her consent or objects to the processing of personal data concerning him or her, or where the processing of his or her personal data does not otherwise comply with this Regulation. 

Source (item 65): https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32016R0679&from=en

And, also, from the Article 17 from the same link "Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’)":

3.   Paragraphs 1 and 2 shall not apply to the extent that processing is necessary:

(d)

for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes in accordance with Article 89(1) in so far as the right referred to in paragraph 1 is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of the objectives of that processing; or

(e)

for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.

Perhaps it can be claimed that KSP forum is of public interest. But for sure they can claim they need the email address to guarantee Authorial Rights. Each post here is, by law, Copyrighted by the author - and since the Forum TOS specifies that the Author must grant the Forum rights over the material, Forum needs to track the authorship of each post.

22 minutes ago, klesh said:

But an email address is required to replace whatever the one you're currently using.  So, it appears its not possible to have an account here without an associated email address?

With having to re-activate your account with the new email, it would appear you cannot simply supply a fake email address i.e email @ email.com

2AyIf70.png

Unless something recently changed, you should be able to just put in [email protected] in there. It shouldn't send out a confirmation email as far as I know

10 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Unless something recently changed, you should be able to just put in [email protected] in there. It shouldn't send out a confirmation email as far as I know

I just gave it a try:

VlkC1ON.png

Fortunately I was able to use the Change Email Address button again to change it back to my actual email address, and confirmed it in my inbox via link. Back to square 1 then.

Edited by klesh

@klesh Oh right, then it has changed. Thanks for testing that. I'm sure we wouldn't quibble about it if someone wanted us to remove their email address from the system. It would mean they can't log on, though, so it's effectively a ban.

13 hours ago, Deddly said:

It would mean they can't log on, though, so it's effectively a ban.

There are free sites, usually found by googling ten minute mail, that literally set those up, email addresses that are valid for only ten minutes.  They are specifically designed for this type  of scenario, where you don't want to provide a real email, but need to click on a confirmation link.

For those who are paranoid enough (I do use them from time to time), I would suggest using that to change your email until the legal team gets back to us. 

Do note though, once that address has expired, you cannot regain access to it, so if you lose your password or something that requires the forums to send another confirmation link later, you're SOL. 

It's also very easy to setup a gmail account that contains no personal info at all, with no connections to your real identity (set it up from an anonymous public computer if you're really paranoid about them connecting the dots), that you will will always have access to.  I'm pretty sure this forum account is setup using my semi-anonymous gaming email.

Edited by Gargamel

Just now, Gargamel said:

Do note though, once that address has expired, you cannot regain access to it, so if you lose your password or something that requires the forums to send another confirmation link later, you're SOL. 

That's what I mean. Removing or scrambling the email address would be to effectively ban the person unless he knows the email address and never forgets it.