Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

The forum was created in early 2012, and there was a time when the software had some kind of failure and they discovered that the most recent uncorrupted backup was from 7 months earlier, so post and rep counts were set back 7 months and all the new accounts created in that time we lost. 

Press F for my 40 lost rep points and roughly 1080 eradicated posts. :( 

3 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

The forum was created in early 2012, and there was a time when the software had some kind of failure and they discovered that the most recent uncorrupted backup was from 7 months earlier, so post and rep counts were set back 7 months and all the new accounts created in that time we lost. 

F

18 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Yes. 

Ok. By the way, how much RP is needed to get a new dot? 

16 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Horrible.

10 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Well, you can't. We turned that off. 

Hahaha, yup, I am glad, too. I'd be the leader in negative reputation... :D

16 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I went from having 25 rep to 0. And right before that, I had chalked up about three 2.2 warnings... :blink:

When I lost the rep, I also lost all the warnings... :blush: Yay, forum crash to the rescue!

Edited by adsii1970

@The Minmus Derp It's not immediately obvious, so that's a very good question! But just imagine that you give someone a thumbs down, and the person gets offended by that so he goes through all of your posts in order to give you thumbs down everywhere he sees you have said something. Can you imagine what the forum would be like?

On 8/1/2018 at 5:55 PM, Vanamonde said:

f

f

not sure why I'm doing this f...

2 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

How much rep is needed for a new dot?

well its rep and post count, but the formula is probably more secret than where exactly in my house Vanamonde is staying. As you can see, we have very different rep numbers, yet we both have 4 dots.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

1 hour ago, DeltaDizzy said:

well its rep and post count, but the formula is probably more secret than where exactly in my house Vanamonde is staying. As you can see, we have very different rep numbers, yet we both have 4 dots.

I think it's only post count, since you both have < 1000 and > 500 posts. I'll make some notes and try figure it out on the weekend.

19 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I think it's only post count, since you both have < 1000 and > 500 posts. I'll make some notes and try figure it out on the weekend.

Just adding a data point for you here MRS.

Post count/dot relationship:

> 1499 = 5 dots.

> 499 = 4 dots

> 99 = 3 dots

> 4 = 2 dots

> -1 = 1 dot

There are only 297 members with 5 dots on the forums, but over 126 thousand members with only one dot. Also, you only have to go ~2600 pages in to a ~8000 page member list sorted by post count to reach the last person with just one post. I'm considering learning to use python to scrape post count and reputation to take a look at more of this stuff, but it'd take a while with the 1 search per 2 second limit.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist