Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Unfortunately it does it for any string including Unity. My original search was for "Unity Asset Store", but it choked on that too.

Yeah, the forum software's not very nimble about managing searches.  Your search "Unity Asset Store", if you do it, by default shows "All posts that contain the word 'unity', or the word 'asset', or the word 'store', anywhere in the forum including the gigantic noise archive that is Forum Games and so forth."

The solution is to narrow the search, as folks have mentioned.  There are a few ways to do this:

• Search for the phraseWhen you type your search term in the box, put "Unity Asset Store" in quotes.  That will tell the search page "look for the phrase 'Unity Asset Store' and don't just try to get every page that has even one of those words."
  • Search in a specific forum onlyFor example, if you're searching for something that involves modeling, you could run a search and tell it to search only the Modeling & Texturing Support sub-forum, rather than the entire KSP forum.  By doing this, you are greatly shrinking the size of the haystack, so finding a particular needle becomes faster.
  • Do a titles-only search, if you can.  May not be applicable to your particular search-- e.g. it would only help you in finding posts that are about the Unity Asset Store, rather than any posts that merely mention it.  So a search like this might not suit your purposes.  However, if it does... doing title-only searches is way faster than "titles and content", because the search engine has much much less content to rummage through.  It can "skim", as it were.

Searching by author is also pretty quick, though that only works if you know which author to search for, which I'm guessing wouldn't apply in your current case.

19 hours ago, Snark said:

Yeah, the forum software's not very nimble about managing searches.  Your search "Unity Asset Store", if you do it, by default shows "All posts that contain the word 'unity', or the word 'asset', or the word 'store', anywhere in the forum including the gigantic noise archive that is Forum Games and so forth."

The solution is to narrow the search, as folks have mentioned.  There are a few ways to do this:

• Search for the phraseWhen you type your search term in the box, put "Unity Asset Store" in quotes.  That will tell the search page "look for the phrase 'Unity Asset Store' and don't just try to get every page that has even one of those words."
  • Search in a specific forum onlyFor example, if you're searching for something that involves modeling, you could run a search and tell it to search only the Modeling & Texturing Support sub-forum, rather than the entire KSP forum.  By doing this, you are greatly shrinking the size of the haystack, so finding a particular needle becomes faster.
  • Do a titles-only search, if you can.  May not be applicable to your particular search-- e.g. it would only help you in finding posts that are about the Unity Asset Store, rather than any posts that merely mention it.  So a search like this might not suit your purposes.  However, if it does... doing title-only searches is way faster than "titles and content", because the search engine has much much less content to rummage through.  It can "skim", as it were.

Searching by author is also pretty quick, though that only works if you know which author to search for, which I'm guessing wouldn't apply in your current case.

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Making the search more specific let the search complete.  See my previous post

There's a walk-around and works quite well in Google and Bing. I'm not sure about other search engines.

xxx site:forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com (where xxx is your keyword search).

So, if I wanted to search for Snark, it would be Snark site:forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com which would yield the following results in Bing:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=+Snark+site%3Aforum.kerbalspaceprogram.com&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

Anyhow, this is how I've been searching the forum since the software change. I'm sorry I forgot to mention it  in my previous post.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:28 AM, adsii1970 said:

xxx site:forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com

I searched for XXX, and was very disappointed at the results. 

But yeah, If I have to do a fairly deep search on the forums, using this trick on Google is the way I do it. 

On 8/13/2018 at 6:18 PM, MDZhB said:

This might have been asked before, but what is the most frequently posted in forum or subforum? What's the most frequently viewed?

I don't have had statistics for this, but my gut is telling me that KSP Discussion or Add-On Discussions are the most-viewed and posted-in subforums.

On 8/12/2018 at 11:34 PM, Gargamel said:

I searched for XXX, and was very disappointed at the results. 

But yeah, If I have to do a fairly deep search on the forums, using this trick on Google is the way I do it. 

:D

@Dman979, is XXX as content banned on the forum? (This way I can say I am asking a mod a question about the forum).

4 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

If you like and then unlike something, and then like it again, will the person who's content you're liking be receiving a notification every time you like their thing?

I wonder if there is a rate-limit on that... Tempting to script up a wee test. :P

7 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Please don't troll each other with the like button. 

For some reason, I get the mental image of my grandfather telling me not to use the lawn mower to get rid of fire ant hills... :blush:

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

Just FYI, in extreme cases, people have been warned/banned for abusing forum "features" like that. So probably not a good idea. 

I had no idea. What I do hate is on the mobile app (Android, in Bing's mobi browser) it is really easy to hit the like button and have the post liked and your action removed all in one poke. Not only is it frustrating... :mad:

17 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Yeah, to jump off of what @Deddly said, 2.2D would be the relevant rule about like-spamming someone. We trust you not to harass each other with the forum features you have, so please don't disabuse us of that notion.

Wow, another 2.2 violation. Luckily I haven't had this particular one... :)

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

For some reason, I get the mental image of my grandfather telling me not to use the lawn mower to get rid of fire ant hills... :blush:

Good advice. Much like when my grandfather warned my cousin to not take an axe to a termite-infested stump.... Which he did anyway, because none of us listen. The termites didn't take it so well. 

Best solution to fire ants is to nuke them from orbit.