Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

7 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

is moderating FUN?

Yes. No. Maybe. Most of the time.

Well, maybe it is for the moderators here on this well behaved forum filled with friendly pseudo-anonymous internet folk. Moderating the hobby forum I'm partly responsible for? It's filled with folks that are arguably friends, questionably adults, all of which know each other, the vast majority of which would be well behaved in face to face encounters. Put two keyboards and the internet between them? And then try to get them to stay civil? (And then have to answer for your moderation actions in person?) Some days you'd think it was bloodsport.

You folk here do quite well herding us cats. 

4 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Interesting. what is the part of the forum that you have to visit most often, when you are checking reports?

Your profile. 

BURN! 

Seriously, though, let's not get into the subject of who on the forum is good and who is bad. 

2 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

When somebody gets banned, do you just ban their account, or their IP address as well?

I'm sure you understand that there are a lot of bad people out there who would like to know the answer to that as well, so they could try and get around the warnings we need to give. So I'm sorry, but I can't answer that.

I can say that permanently banning someone is a rare step for us to take, and only happens when they have a continued history of ignoring moderator interventions, misbehavior, and other non-forum-friendly behaviors. :)

As a suggestion: Would it be possible to change the default post sorting in support threads to 'by date' until a best answer is marked and than switch the sorting  back to 'by vote'? This would keep up the known structure within a thread and makes it easier to follow a discussion and different solutions. As soon as a post got marked as 'best answer', the sorting will return to 'by vote' and everyone who open the thread will see the solution right in the first position.

If it is not possible (or you just want me and others to switch the sorting manually every time), would it be possible to set a default sorting in the user profile settings? :)

It is possible to change those subs to the normal chronological order, but we had a poll about the idea a while back and most of the forum members who voted disliked the idea. And unfortunately, that setting is not customizable; it's the same for everyone. 

12 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

It is possible to change those subs to the normal chronological order, but we had a poll about the idea a while back and most of the forum members who voted disliked the idea. And unfortunately, that setting is not customizable; it's the same for everyone. 

Aw :( I need a cookie now...

1 hour ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Quick question. If you changed ur username,  but the new one looks bad, can you change it BACK to the original?

Sorry, no. One change only. I recommend checking to see what it looks like before requesting a name change :P

Edited by Deddly

1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

Ahaha...

are you guys always that repetitive?

Yes.

39 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Sorry, no. One change only. I recommending checking to see what it looks like before requesting a name change :P

Of course, that's not a recommendation that you break the rules by making an alt with the new name.

37 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Good idea. What is your favorite threeeead? (Besides this one and moderator only forums)

Points are awarded on the severity of the offense, and they expire over time. If you have 5 active points, everything you submit goes through the new member queue for approval. If you have 10 active points, you can't post at all for a week and your posts need approval for 2 more weeks after that. If you accumulate 25, you're permabanned. 

We give 0-1 points for just about everything because that's almost always enough to remind people. You really have to put some effort into it to get more than that.