Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Greetings guys,  I was wondering if it would be possible to add a Linux sub forum to support.  I am not a user however I have seen a few requests for assistance, both general and game related, and there is no good place to direct people to who are experiencing issues.  The result I have seen is that while we have a group of highly knowledgeable and helpful members, linux help requests are spread across the forum.

I think that would introduce a segregation that wouldn't be needed.  Most issues with KSP are OS agnostic - they apply to everyone.  And someone who's on Linux, posting an issue in the Linux subforum, could easily post an issue that's not OS-related.  Then they may not get noticed by Windows or Mac users who may know the answer.  Also Linux specific issues are generally (from what I've seen) installation or joystick related, and get answered.  The Console subforum makes sense, since this game on consoles is a completely different world than on computers.  I imagine this would also increase workload for the moderators in moving threads.

If you have some examples of Linux-specific issues that aren't being answered, I'd like to see them!

What would help most is if the topic titles started with operating system - similar to the convention in the mod release threads for KSP version.

Edited by Geonovast

7 hours ago, Geonovast said:

What would help most is if the topic titles started with operating system - similar to the convention in the mod release threads for KSP version.

Unless there's a way to enforce it, it won't happen. Nobody reads the support stickies.

How about a form to fill out when posting a topic in the support subs,  with a menu for OS, mandatory log upload, etc? The number of variations I've seen on "Halp it donst work" is depressing, and the first reply is almost always a request for information.

While we're at it, a remote shock delivery system for people who don't use capitalisation or linebreaks would be nice too... With a lethal variant for users of comic sans of course.

As for GNU/Linux specifically, I don't really see a need to segregate support requests by OS. You can spot a support request from a Linux user by the presence of useful information.

Edited by steve_v
overrule spilling checker

8 minutes ago, steve_v said:

How about a form to fill out when posting a topic in the support subs,  with a menu for OS, mandatory log upload, etc? The number of variations I've seen on "Halp it donst work" is depressing, and the first reply is almost always a request for information.

thats actually a really good idea. i dont know if it is technically possible though. certainly worth looking into, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: I just got an electric shock, where did that come from?!?

Edited by Deddly

13 minutes ago, Deddly said:

EDIT: I just got an electric shock, where did that come from?!?

Regardless, you have just motivated me to replace that horrific font. All further attempts at communication via crayon will be rendered (more) unintelligible... wingdings unintelligible.
Hooray for userContent.css

20 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

??? What does that mean?

He was making a joke about deliberately writing a response in Comic Sans font.  There's a whole Internet-meme-culture thing about how Comic Sans is an evil font and using it makes you a terrible person.  So the joke is that "if you use it, you get a shock."

6 hours ago, Snark said:

evil font and using it makes you a terrible person.

Does getting the urge to write something serious in that font to screw with people fall under that umbrella?

To keep on topic: What forum (Sci/Space, KSP discussions, etc) seems to require the more moderation than usual?

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

Does getting the urge to write something serious in that font to screw with people fall under that umbrella?

To keep on topic: What forum (Sci/Space, KSP discussions, etc) seems to require the more moderation than usual?

We're not going to stigmatize a subforum by labelling it as the problem child.

Jeez.  :huh: