Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

8 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Not that are allowed to remain visible, anyway. 

Our goof would not be held against you. And the main reason for the one name change rule is that while it's not difficult, it does take a few minutes each time and repeated ones would create a lot of work for us. Or for me, anyway, since I'm the only one who has access to it. 

So if someone’s name gets mysteriously changed to something silly and embarrassing, we know who to blame, right? :huh:

Hold on a minute... It's Vanamonde? I always thought it was Vananamode, as in "virtual banana à-là-mode."

That changes everything...

(Research)

So... Arthur C. Clarke.

Figures.

And now I'm craving a banana split without a single specimen of (non prehistoric) musa in the house.

20 minutes ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Ok, I’ve been wondering...

How did @sal_vager get a picture in his rank?

Everyone in that forum member group has that extra picture. But only Sal_vager is in that member group. :D When he resigned from the moderating team to travel the world, we made a special member group for him as a thank-you for all the work he did for the forum. 

7 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Everyone in that forum member group has that extra picture. But only Sal_vager is in that member group. :D When he resigned from the moderating team to travel the world, we made a special member group for him as a thank-you for all the work he did for the forum. 

What extra picture?

If for some reason, all data was wiped on the site (like all accounts lost, threads gone, rep lost, everything) is there like a backup save of the site or something? Or would we all have to start over again.

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

If for some reason, all data was wiped on the site (like all accounts lost, threads gone, rep lost, everything) is there like a backup save of the site or something? Or would we all have to start over again.

Why? What are you planning? 

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Also, when you mods log on, do you check this thread first?

First, I check the reports. Then I check my notifications. Third, I check the top-secret moderator subforum for anything I should be aware of. Then I look at the posts from new users that require approval.

Finally, I browse the forums.

17 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

First, I check the reports. Then I check my notifications. Third, I check the top-secret moderator subforum for anything I should be aware of. Then I look at the posts from new users that require approval.

Finally, I browse the forums.

That is not the top secret moderator subforum. That is only the middle secret moderator subforum. There is a topper secreter admin subforum you can't see, though I can. :P And, I've been told, a toppest secretest forum founder subforum that I can't see, either. But that could be an urban legend. 

46 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

That is not the top secret moderator subforum. That is only the middle secret moderator subforum. There is a topper secreter admin subforum you can't see, though I can. :P And, I've been told, a toppest secretest forum founder subforum that I can't see, either. But that could be an urban legend. 

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one!

4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Do any of you / have any of you moderated other forums or groups?

Not me, no. This is the only forum I ever found to be helpful, friendly and not clogged up with flame wars and condescending "this is the internet, I'll say what I want" comments. 

6 hours ago, Deddly said:

Not me, no. This is the only forum I ever found to be helpful, friendly and not clogged up with flame wars and condescending "this is the internet, I'll say what I want" comments. 

^ This pretty much exactly sums up my own case, too.

2 hours ago, Redneck said:

who is the head admin these days? i know it used to be aLeXmOrA 

Info about the moderator staff is posted here:

There are basically three "tiers" of folks running things:

• Community leads (@Darth Badie, @UomoCapra):  These are Squad employees, and are the ultimate authority in the forums.  They have godlike powers only guessed at by mere mortals.
  • Lead moderators ( @Supernovy, @Vanamonde, @Deddly):  Can do everything a regular moderator can do, plus certain additional "administrative" powers.
  • Everyone else:  i.e. the rest of the moderator team, including me.  ;)

Within the "everyone else" category, a few of us (myself included) are designated as "senior moderator", but that's just a social convention and doesn't convey any actual powers-- the so-called "senior moderators" can't actually do anything that other moderators can't.  (This is reflected in the fact that it just says "Moderator" under my name-- as far as the forum software is concerned, that's all I am.)

Put in practical terms:  I could ban you; Vanamonde could erase you from existence; Badie could make the whole forum go away.

So please don't annoy her.  Because she's nice, and because we like her, and also because she could slay us all.  :)

3 minutes ago, Redneck said:

@Snark so is aLeXmOrA still with squad in any capacity? 

You can just look at his profile.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/3-alexmora/

As you can see, he's listed simply as "Members", which means no current Squad affiliation is documented.

I guess you could ask him... though his profile shows as not having logged in since March 2016, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response. ;)

11 minutes ago, Snark said:

I guess you could ask him... though his profile shows as not having logged in since March 2016, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response. ;)

exactly. thats why i asked

2 hours ago, Snark said:

There are basically three "tiers" of folks running things:

• Community leads (@Darth Badie, @UomoCapra):  These are Squad employees, and are the ultimate authority in the forums.  They have godlike powers only guessed at by mere mortals.
  • Lead moderators ( @Supernovy, @Vanamonde, @Deddly):  Can do everything a regular moderator can do, plus certain additional "administrative" powers.
  • Everyone else:  i.e. the rest of the moderator team, including me.  ;)

Four "tiers"

Don't forget:

EDIT: Oh yeah, you already mentioned that.

Edited by Deddly

19 minutes ago, Snark said:

Put in practical terms:  I could ban you; Vanamonde could erase you from existence; Badie could make the whole forum go away.

So please don't annoy her.  Because she's nice, and because we like her, and also because she could slay us all.  :)

This is probably the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks for the laugh!

1 minute ago, Deddly said:

Four "tiers"

Don't forget:

And then there's me... an anti-moderator... :D

Hey, trying to keep the dualism principle alive and well in the forum...