Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

24 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Four "tiers"

Don't forget:

Yes, folks, as you can see, lead moderators are above such mundane details as reading what mere senior moderators actually wrote.  :sticktongue:

24 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

an anti-moderator...

I believe the technical term is "immoderator".

(Or should that be "excessory"?)

15 minutes ago, Redneck said:

You guys should make another group like Moderator retired type name tag. For those who have served and are still active

Too hard to maintain, and also not really relevant-- once someone's not a moderator anymore, they don't actually have any special status.  (Plus there's nothing stopping them from putting "Former Moderator" or whatever in their editable "forum title" if they're so inclined, as @aLeXmOrA has done, for example.)

The one exception we've made to that is @sal_vager, whom we've given a "Moderator Emeritus" category all of his own, just 'coz he did such an unspeakably amazingly fantastic job during his time here that we all feel he should have something to revere his hallowed memory, and to remind us to strive to live up to his legacy.  :)

But he's special.

1 minute ago, Snark said:

Yes, folks, as you can see, lead moderators are above such mundane details as reading what mere senior moderators actually wrote.  :sticktongue:

I believe the technical term is "immoderator".

(Or should that be "excessory"?)

Too hard to maintain, and also not really relevant-- once someone's not a moderator anymore, they don't actually have any special status.

The one exception we've made to that is @sal_vager, whom we've given a "Moderator Emeritus" category all of his own, just 'coz he did such an unspeakably amazingly fantastic job during his time here that we all feel he should have something to revere his hallowed memory.  :)   But he's special.

wow! i was not talking about a status just a name tag. i feel like a veteran that just went to the VA and was told "You are no longer relevant"

12 minutes ago, Redneck said:

i feel like a veteran that just went to the VA and was told "You are no longer relevant"

Well, sure... except one could contend that an armed services veteran has shown just a little more duty and sacrifice than a part-time volunteer nerd-wrangler in a rocket ship game's forum. ;)

Of course we appreciate our fellow moderators, and we're always sad to see someone go.  But life happens, people move on, and over the years there's a fair amount of turnover, and we'd really not be in the position of maintaining detailed history/status information for everybody.  It accumulates.

1 minute ago, Snark said:

Well, sure... except one could contend that an armed services veteran has shown just a little more duty and sacrifice than a volunteer nerd-wrangler in a rocket ship game's forum.

Well in the beginning of KSP there was a little more than volunteer nerd-wrangling going on. There was hosting issues,testing and all the stuff that goes with getting the ball rolling on a game that was becoming popular and trying to keep up with user demand and the stuff that you know goes on behind the scenes. Lets just say ALOT of pm's outside of forums. But yeah thats fine was just curious. 

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Serious question time... and I've probably given the moderation staff some real concern since I mostly just poke fun at them...

Does the KSP forum have an RSS feed that can be subscribed to?

Top right of the screen, click "Follow"

52 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Top right of the screen, click "Follow"

44 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I have no clue whether that was meant in jest, but assuming he meant Really Simple Syndication rather than Real Solar System, there's an "RSS" link near the top of the "All Activity" list:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/discover/all.xml/

Nope, I never noticed that RSS (Really Simple Syndication) link there... Ok, thanks!

Oh, and @Geonovast :P No, not looking for the mod... I can find those easy enough! But thanks for trying to help...

5 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

How does the Who's Online area work? Like is it in alphabetic order? Rep points? Because it seems that everybody's name is just jumbled in there.

Looks to me like it is based on time. When I mouse over the names, Last Visited: seems to increase.

At least generally. Some of the Last Visited times will be reset, if people do something after the list was rendered in your browser.

5 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What's with this 'Anonymous Users' section on the Who's Online? Like can you toggle on or off to become anonymous or something?

Actually yes, there is a button in the login window (AFAIK just there). This will hide your online status and 'last visited' will stay at the same date until the next 'regular' login. Also, your name will not show up in the list of online members, instead you will be counted as 'anonymous' ;)

It has been a while since I've tweaked my user profile, and since then the forum software has been updated or changed (it looks more modern now anyways). I still have an outdated Twitter handle on my profile under contact methods, is there a way to change or remove it? I looked under account settings and edit profile, but couldn't find it.

2 hours ago, PhaserArray said:

It has been a while since I've tweaked my user profile, and since then the forum software has been updated or changed (it looks more modern now anyways). I still have an outdated Twitter handle on my profile under contact methods, is there a way to change or remove it? I looked under account settings and edit profile, but couldn't find it.

It should be under "edit profile" on your account. The second bar is contact info, and the link should be there so you can change it there.

EDIT: Unless someone removed the twitter bar for it... then I have no idea.

Edited by Spaceception

13 hours ago, PhaserArray said:

Huh, it looks like doesn't work. Yes, the forum software has been changed, and it looks like the twitter contact you had set before it is now permanent. I wan't able to find a setting anywhere anyway.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:03 AM, PhaserArray said:

Hmm, that does indeed look odd.  Looks like a forum software update left you high and dry, there, and I don't see any way for you to edit it now.  In other words, yes, it does appear to be a legitimate technical problem.

We'll look into the matter, thanks for bringing it to our attention!

3 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

How do I report a user?

Each forum post, profile message, and personal message should have a link on the upper right which says "report post," or something similar. It's light gray and you might need to mouse over it to see it. You will need to find something that person has submitted and hit that button, then enter a message describing the problem to us. A person's account page can not be reported, itself, but if the problem is there you can still click on a post or whatnot and tell us the issue is somewhere else. 

55 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Each forum post, profile message, and personal message should have a link on the upper right which says "report post," or something similar. It's light gray and you might need to mouse over it to see it. You will need to find something that person has submitted and hit that button, then enter a message describing the problem to us. A person's account page can not be reported, itself, but if the problem is there you can still click on a post or whatnot and tell us the issue is somewhere else. 

Okay. I'm not sure of the rules but posting email addresses is bad, right?