Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

I still check up on the forums occasionally and sometimes I find that an old post of mine was quoted yet I don't remember it and don't recognise that as something I would say. Is it possible that these posts have switched authors during an update to the forums or something? Or am I going crazy?

20 hours ago, Spaceception said:

This seems roughly the right place to post. I recently got pulled in as a moderator for a small writing group - to help keep things friendly and such. What are your tips for me, and the other mods there?

A lot of what the experience is depends on the context-- i.e. what sort of people are in it, how homogeneous (or not) their backgrounds are, whether the group is open to the Internet or invitation only, what the overall moderating philosophy is for the group (e.g. some are a lot more laissez-faire than others), and how well you personally are acquainted with the people in the group.  Devil's in the details.

Broadly speaking, though?

• Be patient.
  • Everyone always thinks that they are being reasonable.  So try to understand their point of view when addressing anything-- otherwise they'll just interpret your words as yelling-at-them, and won't learn.
  • Be patient.
  • Make sure that the forum has a very clearly, explicitly stated set of well-defined rules.  And any time you have to take action, make sure that you can quote which rule is the problem.
  • Be patient.
  • Try to be as hands-off as possible.  People like a civil forum, but they don't like being moderated; so don't step in unless there's a clear rule breakage that's causing forum disruption, and then take the minimum possible action.
  • Be patient.
  • Don't moderate a thread that you're participating in.  Conflict of interest, and all that.
  • Did I mention the bit about being patient?  :)

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

So who moderates this thread?

Whoever isn't actively engaged in the discussion taking place at the moment.

Remember, like all moderating, this is about pragmatism, not lawyering.  It's fine for me to jump in and moderate a thread if I happened to contribute something a while back, but the thread has moved on and the thing that's now blowing up doesn't relate to me or what I said.

For example, suppose you had responded to my post here with something inappropriate that needs moderating.  Since I'm personally involved in this particular "sub-plot" within the thread-- i.e. Spaceception's question, and you were responding to me-- then I'm the one person on the moderator team who probably shouldn't get involved.  So some other moderator who isn't involved in this particular exchange would take care of it-- even though chances are that they've posted in this thread before.

Our moderator team isn't huge, but we do have enough people that it's generally not too hard to find someone without "skin in the game" for the particular issue that pops up, if one of us decides to recuse ourselves.

Like everything, it's about a judgment call.  "Moderate others as we would prefer to be moderated ourselves, if we were in their shoes."

40 minutes ago, Snark said:

A lot of what the experience is depends on the context-- i.e. what sort of people are in it, how homogeneous (or not) their backgrounds are, whether the group is open to the Internet or invitation only, what the overall moderating philosophy is for the group (e.g. some are a lot more laissez-faire than others), and how well you personally are acquainted with the people in the group.  Devil's in the details.

Broadly speaking, though?

• Be patient.
  • Everyone always thinks that they are being reasonable.  So try to understand their point of view when addressing anything-- otherwise they'll just interpret your words as yelling-at-them, and won't learn.
  • Be patient.
  • Make sure that the forum has a very clearly, explicitly stated set of well-defined rules.  And any time you have to take action, make sure that you can quote which rule is the problem.
  • Be patient.
  • Try to be as hands-off as possible.  People like a civil forum, but they don't like being moderated; so don't step in unless there's a clear rule breakage that's causing forum disruption, and then take the minimum possible action.
  • Be patient.
  • Don't moderate a thread that you're participating in.  Conflict of interest, and all that.
  • Did I mention the bit about being patient?  :)

Thank you Snark! I'll be sure to pass this along, and keep all this in mind :)

Edited by Spaceception
quick edit

Because I'm sure someone is going to ask, the TOTM for November is not canceled, just slightly delayed. I am in charge of it for this month, but I have been swamped with work the past week, and unable to write something appropriate for each thread.

Rest assured, it will happen- just not yet. :)

Thanks for your patience!

2 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Because I'm sure someone is going to ask, the TOTM for November is not canceled, just slightly delayed. I am in charge of it for this month, but I have been swamped with work the past week, and unable to write something appropriate for each thread.

And just so everyone's clear, Dman's doing it 'coz he's a stand-up guy and stepped up (unlike lazy old loafers such as myself, for example).

So the takeaway here is not "it's lazy Dman's fault it's late", but rather "thanks to hard-working Dman that it's getting done."  He's too nice to point that out himself, so I'm a-sayin' it.

So, everyone, yay Dman!  :)

8 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Thanks for your patience!

Too late to nominate?

25 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What even is the point of dots/rank on this forum?

• Official answer:  I have no idea.  You'd need to go ask the people who wrote the forum software, which would not be Squad.  ;)
  • My personal answer:  Well, the dots do give you a (very rough) idea of how experienced / long-term a person you're talking to.  "Am I talking to a veteran, or someone who's a newbie?"  Mainly just a gimmick, though, is my take on it.

12 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

It also helps to have an avatar that is both amusing and terrifying:D

Hmm, that never occurred to me before, but I do believe you've got a point there.

Actually, now that I think about it... a tardigrade is basically a chibi xenomorph(...Yep!  Checks out.)  So... yeah, I guess that pretty much sums it up.  :)

1 hour ago, Snark said:
  • Official answer:  I have no idea.  You'd need to go ask the people who wrote the forum software, which would not be Squad.  ;)
  • My personal answer:  Well, the dots do give you a (very rough) idea of how experienced / long-term a person you're talking to.  "Am I talking to a veteran, or someone who's a newbie?"  Mainly just a gimmick, though, is my take on it.

Oh ok. 

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one!

”we can neither confirm nor deny that as doing so may or may not compromise security protocols.”

:cool:

*cue neuralizer*

Who are you? What is this place? Am I a space cat?