Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sooner or later, someone will be a cat to space... and very quickly regret it. :wacko:

I hope this guy brought bandages and disinfectant along in the cockpit...

Spoiler

uz3wiuk.png?w=590

Also, this.

....And with that, can we gently nudge this thread back on topic, folks?  If you've got questions for the moderators about the forums, here's the place.  If you'd like to talk about astrofelines and similar topics, perhaps take it to a different thread?  ;)

It took me entirely too long to figure out why I couldn't see @YNM's reply to the Simple Rockets 2 thread.  I was seriously wondering if I'd hidden him or not...  He hasn't even posted in that thread.

Turns out the forum is just confused.

YNM.png

Any way to avoid this, or did the software just see the post happening at the same planck time?

Edited by Geonovast

14 hours ago, Geonovast said:

It took me entirely too long to figure out why I couldn't see @YNM's reply to the Simple Rockets 2 thread.  I was seriously wondering if I'd hidden him or not...  He hasn't even posted in that thread.

Turns out the forum is just confused.

YNM.png

Any way to avoid this, or did the software just see the post happening at the same planck time?

It's a trick. Send no reply

I'm not sure what the problem is, but the "November Threads of the 2/3rds Month" thread crashes the site, attempts to reload, and then fails to do so and crashes again. Happens on all of my browsers (Safari, Firefox, Chrome on MacOS; Safari, Brave on iOS; haven't tried on Windows), and some of those browsers just straight up crash. Occurs regardless of if I'm logged in or not. 

17 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I'm not sure what the problem is, but the "November Threads of the 2/3rds Month" thread crashes the site, attempts to reload, and then fails to do so and crashes again. Happens on all of my browsers (Safari, Firefox, Chrome on MacOS; Safari, Brave on iOS; haven't tried on Windows), and some of those browsers just straight up crash. Occurs regardless of if I'm logged in or not. 

Chrome and firefox with windows 10 seems to work, as well as chrome on android. I hate to ask, but have you tried clearing cache/cookies? 

7 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Chrome and firefox with windows 10 seems to work, as well as chrome on android. I hate to ask, but have you tried clearing cache/cookies? 

No, but I don't see how either would cause the crash I'm seeing. I also never visit the forum on three of the browsers I listed, so their caches would already be null. 

Edit: It appears to be a javascript or some other post-load crash. I can't get anything in terms of debugging atm as I'm currently on mobile and the crash kills the developer tools.... 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

4 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I have no idea what's causing your issue, but I wonder if it's connected to the fact that it was a NIGHTMARE to get the at-pinging to work on people's names while composing that. 

4 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I have no idea what's causing your issue, but I wonder if it's connected to the fact that it was a NIGHTMARE to get the at-pinging to work on people's names while composing that. 

Like the @(username)? Is that the at-pinging?

The only issue with the tags I recall having is a deletion issue.  I did the @, and then typed their name with a 's at the end.  I was able to select their name still, but the 's disappeared, and I was unable to delete it.  I had to refresh the page and use the clear editor option to fix it.

Always select the name before adding the 's, kids.

36 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The only issue with the tags I recall having is a deletion issue.  I did the @, and then typed their name with a 's at the end.  I was able to select their name still, but the 's disappeared, and I was unable to delete it.  I had to refresh the page and use the clear editor option to fix it.

Always select the name before adding the 's, kids.

On a mobile device it is worse. On FireFox Mobile, it is nearly impossible to type anything in the text box after you've tagged someone. You literally have to post the comment, then go in and edit it. But I have no such issue on the Bing web browser app. Hmmm...

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

On a mobile device it is worse. On FireFox Mobile, it is nearly impossible to type anything in the text box after you've tagged someone. You literally have to post the comment, then go in and edit it. But I have no such issue on the Bing web browser app. Hmmm...

On mobile, often if you tag someone and select their name from the list it sends you all the way back up to the top of the page. It's really annoying :mad:

8 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

@Vanamonde, I've noticed that there seem to be more squad staff around than usual. Most of them have little or no forum reputation. Are they actual staff or just robots? Or are they tech support?

Figments of you imagination, as far as I can tell. 

There are no bots, but a lot of the Squad people are not prolific posters and so have accumulated little rep. 

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I just looked all the way down the index (or the forum homepage), and saw that on one day in 2016, 4,038 people were on here. Why were so many on at that moment? A new update? Celebration? Glitch?

I would have expected the peak to be during the 1.0 release (I miss the hypetrains) but that was in 2015.

I can't believe I thought the comic sans thing was so hilarious back then.

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

A lot of those would be spiders sent out over the net by the search engines.  The spiders just jump from link to link to see what they can find and report back to HQ. 

Explain? 

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Explain? 

The "Spiders" are sent out from a website. They find out the URL of their current location and what links are on the page. It picks one and follows it, then repeats again, etc. After a while it jumps back to its starting point and offloads all the data. Thats how results are added to search engines like google. While they were on this site they might have appeared as guest users.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

17 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

The "Spiders" are sent out from a website. They find out the URL of their current location and what links are on the page. It picks one and follows it, then repeats again, etc. After a while it jumps back to its starting point and offloads all the data. Thats how results are added to search engines like google. While they were on this site they might have appeared as guest users.

Oh ok. I was thinking 'How can 4,000 people be online if the forum usually has around 200 people a day? It doesn't make sense to experience such a sharp decline of members'