Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

3 hours ago, Fraston said:

Why do we need the “mark all read” button?

I know it’s function, but I want to know it’s purpose.

Well, it's kinda to, you know, mark all the posts in the forum as read.   That way, next time you visit or reload the forums, you can see anything new that has been posted.  Some people just like having a clean slate when they log in.   It's standard in the forum software package, and enough people use it, there's no reason to remove it.    Other forums have a set time limit, so after that time (say 60 minutes) It assumes you've read everything you are going to read, and marks everything as read.  

I prefer the way we have it, because I can clear the board if I need to, or just leave it alone and ignore the button completely. 

11 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What do you each love about the forum?

I love the atmosphere of mutual respect and the clean environment that is enforced by the forum rules. Without rules like we have it seems that every online discussion devolves into constant bickering, flame wars and insulting matches. Not everyone likes the "hugbox" of the KSP forums, but there is the rest of the internet for people who want to have total freedom to use bad language, insulting comments etc.. Here in this little corner of the internet, we have a generally peaceful place, which attracts a whole different crowd. I myself avoid most public discussion forums and it took me a long time to get involved here. It was only when I noticed how different things are here that I wanted to be a part of the community, and I know I'm not the only one.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, adsii1970 said:

You know, it was back in January...

How did I not notice that? Congrats!

On 2/12/2019 at 2:02 PM, Fraston said:

Why do we need the “mark all read” button?

I know it’s function, but I want to know it’s purpose.

I use it to quickly see if there's anything new in Announcements or The Daily Kerbal

On 2/12/2019 at 6:59 PM, adsii1970 said:

I often joke they made me a moderator as a means to FORCE me to behave better... :D

Didn't they let you know? They just throw darts at a name board.
edit - Heh, crap, that even still my signature :D 

Edited by monstah

On 2/12/2019 at 3:37 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Pretty much what @Deddly and @Vanamonde said.

I like thoughtful, civil discussion and debate.  That is not, alas, the case in a pretty broad swath of the Internet-- it's why I generally don't participate in any other online forums but here.  Even though most people are basically decent-- even in those other forums I avoid-- the fact remains that the Internet is a highly effective "jerk amplifier".  The result that the few toxic trolls and abusive nasty types who invariably show up, end up determining the tone of conversation.  No thanks; hanging out in an environment like that just leaves me dispirited and drained.

Which is why I love it so much here.  This is an amazing community-- partly because KSP is a fairly cerebral game that tends to attract the sort of thoughtful people I'm likely to relate to, but also because it's nice here and the moderation policies are set up to keep it that way.

I expect a solution like that doesn't scale.  It requires a dedicated team of hands-on moderators who firmly correct matters that go "off the rails", which only works if there are sufficient moderators per capita to stay on top of things.  If this forum had millions, or tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of users... there's simply no way we could stay on top of it, which means the feast of reason and flow of soul would subside to the usual tone of the Internet.

Fortunately for those of us who enjoy it here, though, the forums are reasonably "compact" and have a user base that seems to hit the "Goldilocks zone":  enough people to make for interesting conversation, but few enough for it to be moderatable.

One thing that struck me, when I first became a moderator here:  I was expecting to see the "seamy underbelly" of the forum, all the nasty stuff that the mods keep safely out of public view.  And yeah... there's a certain amount of that.  But what surprised me was how little of it there is.  I mean, sure, there's nastiness that crops up here from time to time, but on the whole, there's considerably less than I might have expected.  People here really are nice, mostly.

I'm not sure how to sort out cause-and-effect.  Maybe the niceness is because nice, interesting people are just naturally attracted to this game.  Or maybe the fact that we're so vigilant about toxic trolls and abusive jerks means that those types quickly lose interest when they see that they can't call the shots, and wander away-- giving the basic default "niceness" of people more opportunity to shine through.

Whatever it is... I like it, a lot.  Which is why I'm still here and still actively reading the forums after all these years.

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Cuss words. 

On that topic, I've noticed four different recent instances of people posting variations of "god damn". Now, I'm vehemently anti-religion, but that's considered awfully rude by a lot of nice people. Is it against the <bleeping> rules, and should I report it?

Second question/statement: It appears the "no reaction images" rule went away. That's a darn shame; I'd prefer to have it back.

Edited by FleshJeb
I choose to be less inflammatory

@FleshJeb That particular word, whilst indeed a profanity, was judged to be mild enough to allow, depending on context. It may change in the future, who knows, but for the time being it's not being censored.

200q7y.jpg

EDIT: (Sorry, I couldn't help myself). But yeah, taking away the reaction images rule was not an easy choice and it was also a trial to see how it goes. Your feedback is very welcome.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I love how hard forum members work to help a new user understand the game.

If a user genuinely wants to learn, members of the community will go to great lengths to give help and advice.  Patient responses to players as they work out how to perform each of the steps over and over are the norm.

Seeing frustration or annoyance expressed toward a new user who is asking for help is very rare.

There are a lot of smart people here.  Much more important, though - there are a lot of really nice smart people here.

Happy landings!

7 hours ago, Deddly said:

But yeah, taking away the reaction images rule was not an easy choice and it was also a trial to see how it goes. Your feedback is very welcome.

I had no idea it was even gone, I thought y’all were just being lenient and reasonable. :D

I think it’s a good change, so long as it doesn’t get out of hand. Probably saves on page length too (1.gif > 1kw, etc).

11 hours ago, Deddly said:

EDIT: (Sorry, I couldn't help myself). But yeah, taking away the reaction images rule was not an easy choice and it was also a trial to see how it goes. Your feedback is very welcome.

If all feedback is welcome, then I like it. Nobody uses them too much and they tend to be funny and apt.

I also approve of the removal of the 10 character minimum on posts.

6 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

What are your favourite mods, if you use them?

Well, there are the base utility mods, like KAC, Hyper Edit, TAC Fuel Balancer. 

And the parts packs, like KW, Near Future, and SSPX, among others.

But my game is mainly driven the game play -esque mods, like Final Frontier, Contract Configurator, Snacks, and LaunchFailure.   Things that make the game more, tangible I guess. 

21 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I had no idea it was even gone, I thought y’all were just being lenient and reasonable. :D

I think it’s a good change, so long as it doesn’t get out of hand. Probably saves on page length too (1.gif > 1kw, etc).

Likewise, I just thought reaction images had been overlooked and unreported. I promise to try not to abuse them.

As for keeping them from getting out of hand, can the forum software impose a hard cap on the size of images? I've gotten in the habit of resizing images I post to 500 by XXX, to keep the thread length from exploding.

Spoiler

(If anyone doesn't know how to do that, simply double-click the image after it embeds in the editor, and a pop-up window comes up to adjust it).

20 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Best mod ever 

Now that's just awesomely hilarious!

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

Best mod ever 

hm...do you know this one? It's a close call :D

Anyway, I have a serious question though :)

How can I add a proper quote while editing a post? If I use the quote button or mark some text to quote the section, it will always be added to the 'new post' editor, not in the 'edit post' editor. If  just add an empty quote and copy&paste the text there, the autor of the original message will not be pinged and the quote also doesn't provide a link to the post so I would like to use the other options. Any ideas?