Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

On 5/24/2019 at 9:52 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Unfortunately, the thread I want to search is the "What Song is stuck in your head today" thread. Many posts with few if any words in there, just music vids.

This is the best I can do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php%3F/topic/159729-so-what-song-is-stuck-in-your-head-today+strandedonearth

On 5/24/2019 at 10:22 PM, Geonovast said:

That's the same thread I was asking it for...

And don't feel left out Geonovast.

https://www.google.com/search?q=https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php%3F/topic/159729-so-what-song-is-stuck-in-your-head-today+geonovast

For each of you, I think you'll have to "continue with duplicates enabled" after that.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:53 AM, adsii1970 said:

@Vanamonde is the all knowing banana. He knows everything. He sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He knows if you've posted something in violation of the rules. So, post only good things.

I feel slightly worried. Now I wanna change my Location part.

9 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Hey, can someone tell me why mixer isn't on the stream list like twitch is?

I'd say because Mixer is relatively unknown for a lot of people, but Twitch is very well known so it recognises Twitch streams. If you want to see your stream on here, use Twitch

Is Breaking Ground getting its own forum section?

If it is, I think it would be better to have the first setup here, as it would be less clutter, especially if there's going to be more DLC in the future. (Community parts for structure reference)

Main Page:

• Community
    • Welcome Aboard
    • Science & Spaceflight
    • Kerbal Network
    • The Lounge
      • Forum Games
  • Expansions
    • Making History
      • Making History Missions
      • Making History Discussion
      • Making History Support
    • Breaking Ground
      • Breaking Ground Discussion
      • Breaking Ground Support

Versus keeping the current format.

Main Page:

• Community
    • Welcome Aboard
    • Science & Spaceflight
    • Kerbal NetworkThe Lounge
      • Forum Games
  • Making History Expansion
    • Making History Missions
    • Making History Discussion
    • Making History Support
  • Breaking Ground Expansion
    • Breaking Ground Discussion
    • Breaking Ground Support

Edit: OK, I swear that was NOT there when I started typing this?

Edited by Geonovast

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Edit: OK, I swear that was NOT there when I started typing this?

No, the BG subforum is new today, you might have crossposted.  

I'm not sure if the forum structure is set in stone, I kinda like your setup better, we'll see though. 

16 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

A few days ago, while typing out a post, I hit upon some sequence of keys - I can't remember which - that appeared to act as a keyboard shortcut for submitting the post. Do any of you guys know exactly what the shortcut is?

Ctrl + Enter :)

19 hours ago, JERONIMO said:

So guys, do you think we need a random thread? to post random thing?

Not particularly. That would pretty quickly turn into a chat thread, and those aren't allowed here.

What are actually your point of concern to approve the posts of a new forum member? Do you just try to filter out the spam bots or do you also block posts which are not conform to the rules?

Every once in a while, I come across a post where I have to ask myself: How did this post got any approval by a mod?
I'm not going to quote any examples since I don't want to blame anyone (neither the mod how approved it, nor the forum member) but if you're curious, I will report these posts in the future.

23 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

What are actually your point of concern to approve the posts of a new forum member? Do you just try to filter out the spam bots or do you also block posts which are not conform to the rules?

Every once in a while, I come across a post where I have to ask myself: How did this post got any approval by a mod?
I'm not going to quote any examples since I don't want to blame anyone (neither the mod how approved it, nor the forum member) but if you're curious, I will report these posts in the future.

It's primarily an anti-bot measure, but we also deal with rule-breaking posts that we find there. There's no harm in reporting them. Sometimes we overlooked the context or interpreted it in a different way than you did. :) Also, though, we may have already acted on it in a way that isn't visible to the public. 

13 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

There's no harm in reporting them. Sometimes we overlook the context or interpreted it in a different way than you did. :)

Ok, thank you :)

Indeed, chances are good that I'm overreacting about some posts but I'll report them in the future and give you a short explanation about it.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Ok, thank you :)

Indeed, chances are good that I'm overreacting about some posts but I'll report them in the future and give you a short explanation about it.

I've reported a few that screamed "I'm a robot!" when I read it.  I've been right and wrong.. I think.

On 6/9/2019 at 1:21 PM, Geonovast said:

I've reported a few that screamed "I'm a robot!" when I read it.  I've been right and wrong.. I think.

Thre's absolutely nothing wrong with reporting threads that you think might be even slightly amiss, what ever the reason.  As long as you give us a little bit of info to work with in the report editor, the worst that can happen, for the most part, is we go "Eh.... nothing to see here, carry on".  We know most people are reporting threads for the good of the forums, and not some personal agenda, although that does happen every now and then.  

But the worst type of report is the one that does not explain anything about why they are reporting the post.   We only see the post you are reporting not the whole thread.  Yeah we can click on some links to get there, but If we have to do much digging to figure why it got reported in the first place, it just makes the job harder.    So a little context with each report helps.   Even if it's just a little blurb like "Wrong forum" "Swearing" or "This user has summoned Zuul and we need to do something about it before it gets out of hand".   That way we know what we're looking for when we dive into it, and we can prioritize the workflow if we need to.   Although, that last one would require three other mods to agree to cross the streams, even though we agreed to never cross the streams, and then cover a large metropolitan neighborhood in marshmallow cream.  And given that the moderation team is a global force, getting us altogether that quick might be a logistical nightmare.   So if that happens, expect us to deputize some of you that are local to each other so we can fight the scourge as a solid front. 

Edited by Gargamel
Whoops, *does not

17 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Speaking of reporting threads, isn't the way to nominate a thread for TOTM only by reporting it and putting a reason for your nomination as the subject?

Yup!  At the very least, specify it's a TOTM nom, you don't need to specify a reason, but it does help in the selection process.

you can always edit, report your own post asking for a remove, or ask for a remove in this sub-forum, i guess it's sort about what's bein' wrote and/or said, could have been already heard, read or answered by some random peops, so it's about log, tracking kinda and sort of ;

Edited by WinkAllKerb''