Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

10 hours ago, purpleivan said:

it now shows up as a clickable link rather than the image

For me, it always pastes as a link, then the forum software WYSIWYG Editor parses and loads the pic.  That can take a moment sometimes.

Testing:

58kcKFf.png

Works for me :)

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

For me, it always pastes as a link, then the forum software WYSIWYG Editor parses and loads the pic.  That can take a moment sometimes.

Testing:

58kcKFf.png

Works for me :)

Now my turn.

https://i.imgur.com/58kcKFf.png

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Hmmm.... try edge or chrome?  I'm using FF and W10 too....

Well Edge works as expected (i.e. pasting a link to an image results in the image being displayed), but I'd rather not switch browser just for this. All a bit wierd especially with this being a new install.

At least I know it's not anything to do with the forum... just wonky FF beahaviour for some reason.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@purpleivan Have you tried “paste as plain text?” Sometimes this seems to make a difference. 

If I do that (Ctrl Shift V) then I get the same result plus an error "The link could not be embedded because of an unexpected error: error: undefined."

Until just now I've just been using Ctrl-V to paste, but I've found out that pasting works correctly if I select Paste from the right click menu instead. Not a proper solution really as Ctrl-V should work fine.

This is clearly an issue with my setup though, not an issue with the forum, so I'll keep looking for a solution.

Update... the issues seems to be related to addons I have install in Firefox. If I disable all of them the Ctrl V behaviour is back to normal, as well as a completly different issue I've been looking into. The ones I have are the same as in my old Win 7 install (installed using Sync in Firefox) but one of them must be not playing nicely in the new OS.

At least I have something to look into now.

Updated update... found out what it was, it was Internet Download Manager. It was set to use Ctrl as a hotkey to force downloading of things clicked on with IDM. That's the same setup as I had in Win 7, which worked fine, but for some reason in the Win 10 install it breaks my use of Ctrl V in this specific way. Disables the feature now (didn't use it anyway) and the problem is now fixed.

58kcKFf.png

Edited by purpleivan

9 hours ago, tater said:

Are the forums acting odd?

7 hours ago, tater said:

Anyone else having issues with...

Given the timing of your posts you can probably thank Verizon for your issues. They've made quite a few of us particularly unhappy today. 

33 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Given the timing of your posts you can probably thank Verizon for your issues. They've made quite a few of us particularly unhappy today. 

That would explain it.

Twitter was fine itself, but the embeds on the forum pages here were hanging and not loading for me.

2 hours ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

Why do all mods have a profile picture?

Not a mod but I can answer that one. They're awesome.

I leave it up to the reader to decide if I mean the pictures, or the mods. :D

But seriously most people who stay on a forum for more than a few months tend to customize their profile a bit. Most of those who have been on a forum more than a year have fully done do. Moderators tend to fall into the latter category, and those that don't fall in the former.

7 minutes ago, Rover 6428 said:

do you think I should start doing actual work?

No. Work is over-rated. Find a way to be a couch potato... but you'll have no money. Therefore, you'd be a broke couch potato without the money to afford a couch.

7 hours ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

Because no mod hasn't got one.

That's not that telling since almost every consistent contributor on the forum has one...

I'd say almost every consistent contributor on every single forum I've ever been to that supported profile pictures have one...

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

That's not that telling since almost every consistent contributor on the forum has one...

I'd say almost every consistent contributor on every single forum I've ever been to that supported profile pictures have one...

same