Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you really must know why the likes disappeared, it kinda happened like this...

We were all hanging out in the moderator lounge when the new guy, @Geonovast was watching @Gargamel try to merge two posts one-handed. @Snark sat on the sofa on the other side of the room, telling Gargamel it wasn't a very smart idea to be merging threads one-handed while sitting on top of a vending machine.

"Oh, quit complaining, Snark!" Gargamel shouted as he began to merge the threads.

Just before he opened the special moderator box to actually merge the threads, @Dman979 walked into the moderator lounge and shoved Gargamel off the top of the vending machine where he was sitting while trying to merge the two threads. Technically, Dman979 was enforcing the rules while @Vanamonde was away. Vanamonde has some pretty strict rules about moderating - and the first is never moderate when hungry. So, having  eaten a K-Snack from the vending machine to satisfy his hunger, Gargamel decided that sitting on top of the vending machine while moderating would be a good idea and worth the risk while Vanamonde was away. But that brings us to Rule 35: the tops of vending machines are not to be sat upon (now we all know why).

"I've told you a hundred times, Gargamel, quit showing off in front of the new moderators" Dman 979 shouted. But as Gargamel fell, the threads slipped from his hands, hit the floor with a loud splat and began oozing and coalescing into a giant puddle in the middle of the floor of the moderator lounge.

"What are you all doing?" was what Vanamonde said as he flung open the moderator lounge door and took his step inside. He had no idea of the unfolding drama waiting on the other side of the door. But before Snark could proceed to tell him to be careful, Vanamonde ended up head down and feet up as he fell into the spilled and unmerged threads, now puddled in the middle of the floor. From that point on, myself, @goldenpeach, and @Starhawk began to try and sneak out the back door of the moderator lounge, not wanting to suffer the wrath of the angry banana.

But right as goldenpeach started to turn the doorknob, Vanamonde yelled, "where do you three think you're going? You didn't stop Gargamel from showing off, so now you get to help clean up this mess" as he pointed to the mess surrounding him from the poorly managed threads still oozing on the floor.

@Supernovy had an idea we all thought was sheer brilliance at this point. He went into the closet next to the vending machine where Gargamel had been sitting and pulled out the industrial wet/dry shop vac we keep handy just for forum messes. This could be why he is a lead moderator, but that's a story for another day. Anyhow, about the time he was plugging in the shop vac, @St4rdust, one of our community managers, was stopping by to show us her latest forum announcement. She flung open the door with great excitement which hit Supernovy on the backside, knocking him into the liquefied oozing threads and on top of Vanamonde. The two slid across the room, spreading the ooze from the two trashed threads everywhere.

For those of you who are not moderators, you'll never understand how dirty and difficult moderation can be. Especially when you're trying to merge threads and something goes horribly wrong. Yes, a badly merged and damaged thread has the viscosity of 5W30 motor oil. And that's why Supernovy and Vanamonde slid with great speed across the moderator lounge floor.

How does this explain how the "likes" disappeared? Well, see, what most do not know is when you hit a like button, there's a machine in the moderator's lounge which we must make sure has plenty of supplies. Think of it as a 3D printer but that it pounds out forum likes for your enjoyment. Well, earlier that morning, Snark had filled up the cartridge in a similar manner to how a laser copier's toner cartridge is filled. So, when Vanamonde and Supernovy slammed into the forum likes contraption, it made a loud banging sound and we all stood - paralyzed in fear - as we heard the sound of grinding gears, a brief whiff of ozone, and a faint trail of white smoke arise out of the machine. And to make matters worse, when Supernovy tried to stand up, completely covered in ooze, he grabbed the cartridge to steady himself on his feet. But when he did that, we all heard the terrible sound of thick, hard plastic snapping. Our likes contraption was now out of commission.

Had it not been for much overtime on behalf of Squad's maintenance department, who shall remain pingless out of respect, and his patience with the moderation team (we were all too busy pointing fingers at Gargamel and blaming him for it), our likes contraption would probably still be broken. Whatever could not be ordered had to be either 3D printed, and if that failed, super-glued and duct-taped. So folks, show them some love!

And in case you were wondering, there were a few of us moderators which had kept a few extra likes in our lockers. That's why many of you saw us tossing out likes when the rest of you couldn't. We had our own stockpile of likes handy. But then Vanamonde, sensing the rising frustration on the forum, issued Rule 61: moderators can not keep a secret and hidden stash of likes.

And that's the truth about why the forum lost likes for a while... :)  

Truth

Notice how I'm conspicuously missing from this story. If I had been there at the time, I'd have confiscated the vending machine and none of this would have happened. 

Vending machine, ha! Moderators these days. Back in MY day... 

</YORKSHIRE ACCENT>

16 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Truth

Notice how I'm conspicuously missing from this story. If I had been there at the time, I'd have confiscated the vending machine and none of this would have happened. 

Vending machine, ha! Moderators these days. Back in MY day... 

</YORKSHIRE ACCENT>

I originally had you in the story, but listed you as a lead moderator. 

@Geonovast pointed out you're not a lead moderator, so... I had to do a quick rewrite. But weren't you a lead at one time?

8 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I originally had you in the story, but listed you as a lead moderator. 

@Geonovast pointed out you're not a lead moderator, so... I had to do a quick rewrite. But weren't you a lead at one time?

I was, but lately I haven't been able to dedicate the amount of time and emotional energy that moderation needs, so I thought it best to relinquish the lead moderator position.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:18 AM, adsii1970 said:

had filled up the cartridge in a similar manner to how a laser copier's toner cartridge is filled.

Well there’s the problem right there! You don’t refill a toner cartridge; you replace it. Otherwise parts wear out or get marred, and the excess material compartment gets overfilled 

If you guys were refilling the like cartridge all this time then it was probably worn out, and would have snapped on its own in about another thousand likes or so

And I should know, I did laser printer support at one time.... Don’t refill your toner cartridges, kids. Recycle them properly 

18 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well there’s the problem right there! You don’t refill a toner cartridge; you replace it. Otherwise parts wear out or get marred, and the excess material compartment gets overfilled 

If you guys were refilling the like cartridge all this time then it was probably worn out, and would have snapped on its own in about another thousand likes or so

And I should know, I did laser printer support at one time.... Don’t refill your toner cartridges, kids. Recycle them properly 

Good question. And it deserves an answer... But when I'm not on mobile.

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, cyberKerb said:

Mod question: is it possible for a user (not a mod) to edit someone elses thread OP / take over existing thread?

I can answer this one even though I'm not a mod. No. You have to start your own thread and then either the OP or a moderator can put a link into the old thread pointing at your new one.

I know this because when I transferred All Y'All to LinuxGuruGamer he could not take my thread (even a moderator couldn't (or wouldn't) do it for him. It was just not done). So right before locking my old thread, I put in a link to his new thread.

Well, there is a path to abilities that some would consider... unnatural.

If you have a post that you're willing to sacrifice to the forum gods that is also older than the OP of the thread, it is possible to merge them together, and then the oldest post will be the OP. We don't do that often, though, and it's an irrevocable move.