Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

On 3/16/2020 at 8:54 AM, LittleBitMore said:

What's your perspective on KSP itself?

From not quite three feet away.  Had to switch to a dedicated pair of "computer glasses", what with worn-out middle-aged eyes, and bifocals were becoming tiresome for it.

What do you think about us users?

You're what make the KSP forums my favorite place on the internet.  I've never participated in any other online community to any significant degree, because I find them some combination of uninteresting and/or actively toxic.  This is a neat place because of the people in it.

The forum design and layout?

It gets the job done.  UI's clunky in places, but to be honest I've never seen any forum software that made me wanna write poetry about it.

Your fellow mods?

My favorite social circle.

What's your side on *insert any KSP forum debate (for example, Dres or MechJeb) here*? What do you think about that debate, as an entirety?

"My, folks sure seem to find some silly stuff to get worked up about"

How many moderators are there?

They're listed, as others have pointed out already.

What are some interesting hobbies you value even higher than KSP and the forums (if any)?

KSP's still my go-to hobby.  Other than that:  reading (a lot!), hiking, drone photography.

Story behind your current profile picture?

Had no profile picture for the first couple years on the forum, nothing really seemed right-- what would a Snark actually look like?  Henry Holiday was decidedly coy on the subject.  ;)  Then one day I came across this image and immediately thought "that's it!"

What's your side on *insert any internet debate (for example, airplane on treadmills or water's wetness) here*? What do you think about that debate, as an entirety?

An airplane on a treadmill would have no trouble at all taking off, for obvious reasons.  This is not a hard problem.  (Though a lot of folks who don't understand how physics works tie themselves in knots over stating the problem in an illogical way that presupposes an answer.)

What's an interesting fact about astronomy you think you're one of the only people to know?

Well, obviously if I told you, then it would no longer qualify, now would it? :huh:

Is this too many questions?

Evidently not.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, Snark said:

Well, obviously if I told you, then it would no longer qualify, now would it? :huh:

pfffffffff lmao

What is your favorite fellow mod? If none, what is your favorite part abt the forum itself (material or not)

16 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

What is your favorite fellow mod?

11 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Let's not get into popularity ratings or competitions, please.

Vanamonde is my favorite moderator. They're so kind *ow* and merciful *stop hitting me* and benevolent. *Put the chair down, please I'm begging you!*

Edited by Dman979
Changed wording.

19 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

How do you add a link to an image?

usually just copy paste the link in the post will work... for imgur specifically, for single images, you need to rght-click on the pic on imgur, "Copy image location*, *NOT* "Copy link*, and paste that in the post. Albums are handled differently.

Edited by Stone Blue

10 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

usually just copy paste the link in the post will work... for imgur specifically, for single images, you need to rght-click on the pic on imgur, "Copy image location*, *NOT* "Copy link*, and paste that in the post. Albums are handled differently.

7 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I put a pic in and submit the post, then when editing the post I can click on the image and attach a link to something else to it. Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but it works. 

Thanks!

A couple of the guys have met in person, but most of us have not and none of us live near each other. 

As for the rank milestones, I always have to go digging to remind myself where to find those... 

Ah, here we are. 

0 Curious George
5 Bottle Rocketeer
25 Rocketeer
50 Rocketry Enthusiast
100 Spacecraft Engineer
250 Sr. Spacecraft Engineer
500 Junior Rocket Scientist
750 Rocket Scientist
1000 Senior Rocket Scientist
1500 Capsule Communicator
3000 Flight Director

But you can also edit your member title on your profile to custom text. That would not change the dots, just the title displayed. 

Edited by Vanamonde

2 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

When were you made as a moderator?

We prefer not to talk about that: We're all moderators, we're all equal to each other, and we don't want users to think that one moderator's instructions or requests are less serious than another moderator's.

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

But you can also edit your member title on your profile to custom text. That would not change the dots, just the title displayed. 

I know. But is there a way to change the member title back? Also, what are the dot milestones?

1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

I know. But is there a way to change the member title back? Also, what are the dot milestones?

If you empty out the member title box, it should revert to the forum default values.

The dots are related to post count, IIRC.  I have no idea what milestones are related to what number of dots.

Happy landings!

15 hours ago, Dman979 said:

We prefer not to talk about that: We're all moderators, we're all equal to each other, and we don't want users to think that one moderator's instructions or requests are less serious than another moderator's.

Ok no problem. I understand

3 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Looks like a Kracken attack to me!

yes the rare spacetime bending Kracken. Not a Kraken of course.

16 hours ago, Starhawk said:

The dots are related to post count, IIRC.  I have no idea what milestones are related to what number of dots

I feel like someone said it some many pages ago, before I died.

2 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

So what are plans for April Fools on this forum?

he says, hoping it's changing all profile pictures to Nyan Cat or the troll face

Sorry, I can't talk publicly about moderator actions.

11 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

We have none. 

10 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Sorry, I can't talk publicly about moderator actions.

Good, good, looks like they want to keep it a secret.

Spoiler

What if they are telling the truth?

Spoiler

Nah, that's not possible.