Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

I only have 3 question:

1. Since when you guys have been moderators? (for example:Kane Kerman was a moderator 10 hours ago)
  2. How it was your experience as a moderator? (for example: Kane Kerman was happy since he was a moderator[bruh])
  3. who is the first moderator of the KSP forum? (i bet only a few people knows)

the third one will be quite harder for new members,but easy for a ksp forum veteran.

I just added a gif to signature. But when I sign out after posting a reply, the signature automagically disappears. Does this seem to be a problem of my own device?

1 hour ago, AllenLi said:

I just added a gif to signature. But when I sign out after posting a reply, the signature automagically disappears. Does this seem to be a problem of my own device?

Yeah your signature seems pretty animated now.:D

It’s working fine.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:38 PM, Geonovast said:

Other times people have been contacted privately and been asked if they were interested.

How do they pick who to contact?

Also is it like once you're a moderator you can never go back to being a regular member or can you just leave the moderators?

Also, why no role playing? 

I've been wondering about that for a while.

5 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

How do they pick who to contact?

Also is it like once you're a moderator you can never go back to being a regular member or can you just leave the moderators?

Sometimes there is a recruitment announcement and others, there is an offer made. It all depends on the needs of the forum (and other KSP official sites). 

I was made a moderator as a way to make me behave. The whole "forced compliance" thing... (that's the running joke about my recruitment as a moderator). :)

And yes, a moderator can go back to being a regular forum member by request or being dismissed. 

We don't change our forum names when we become moderators. It's not a rule. Just nobody has wanted to. 

When recruiting we look around for people who are helpful, have (mostly) clean warn histories, and are good written communicators. A few people have left the team and gone back to being normal forum members, but usually when people leave it's due to changing commitments or interests, so they rarely stay active on the forum afterwards. 

Roleplaying was one of the things we had to rule off-limits because it caused so many fights. People got overly invested, became enemies, called each other nasty names, carried arguments over to unrelated threads, and so on. It was just too much trouble. 

I have another question to ask.

In spacecraft exchange.

This SSTO thread is not pinned.

But this Space Station thread is pinned.

I don’t mean to pin this but not that.

I was just curious about some kind of common characteristics that pinned threads all possess.

We pin threads that we think are useful or of wide interest. And threads of the month. But we try not to have too many or they crowd other threads out of view. 

The SSTO one seems like a reasonable choice, though. I'll pin it. 

On 8/26/2020 at 6:24 PM, Commodoregamer118 said:

Who do you think is the person with most potential of being a moderator?

Me!

It might be kinetic, though, since I'm already a moderator. Physics class was a while ago.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:49 PM, Vanamonde said:

Just nobody has wanted to

@Tex used to be called Maximus97, IIRC, and he changed it after he became a moderator.

What is the most popular sector of the forums, by the frequency of new posts?

What if by the sum of views or posts?

Spoiler

Seems to be “Add-on Releases”, “Science And Spaceflight” at the top, with challenges, the lounge and gameplay support following it. I think I could be wrong.

If it’s hard to answer then I’ll quit asking it.

I believe you guys have access to the majority of the same forum analytics we have.   There are obviously some tools that are mod only tools, but they really don't apply to forum traffic per se.    There might be some outside resources that can do the analytics for you/us, or some Invision plug-ins also, but since the forums aren't a revenue stream for the devs, I don't think they'll want to invest much into such tools.  

So to answer your question.....  I believe your hunches are correct.   Add-on Releases always seems to have the highest traffic, much like the floor of the stock market, just constant chatter about specific mods.  S&S does see some pretty deep stuff going on there.  KSP2 is a pretty good one too.