Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

2 hours ago, Souptime said:

Hey banana man how do you pronounce your name? i missed the last n in it so i kept saying vana-MODE but is it vana-MOND-ay i am confused

Rhymes with Bananamonde.  :)

1 hour ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

What’s the community rep system for?

It's not really "for" anything of consequence-- it just gives you a feel for how often fellow community members give "likes" to a particular person.  It's a standard part of the forum software, and most forums have some equivalent mechanism.

You guys are mean.  :P

9 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

What’s the community rep system for?

That’s a good question.   There is no real purpose to it.   We don’t give out prizes or recognition for a certain number of likes.   But people do like to have others appreciate their work or ideas, and this is just a simple way of letting others know they are appreciated.   

It also serves to cut way back on the spammy “+1”, “^”, and “This” posts.     

On 1/20/2021 at 3:26 PM, Souptime said:

Hey banana man how do you pronounce your name?

It's pronounced "Vanamonde."

On 1/21/2021 at 12:34 AM, Gargamel said:

It also serves to cut way back on the spammy “+1”, “^”, and “This” posts.     

^This. +1.

8 hours ago, VoidCosmos said:

This proves that the mods are really funny. :wink:

I have a simple rule I go by - there's literally nothing I cannot make a joke about. It's one of the ways I stay sane in this bizarre and crazy world. :confused:

Life is too short to be taken so seriously.

:cool:

1 hour ago, Souptime said:

Except content forbidden by rule 2.2

Sure I can... look at my signature image. :)  But because of the forum guidelines, I cannot joke about the exact instances or moderator action taken for my frequent violations of 2.2b

(2.2b or not 2.2b, that was the question...) :cool:

I can tell you this - there's only three members of the old moderation team left on the team who sent me warnings from the time I was a frequent 2.2b violator. :blush:

19 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

2.2b

While I am an opinionated person myself, I've found discussing certain topics *cough* politics *cough* with strangers is uncomfortable and rarely ends well. Even talking with (some) family members, that type of discussion never goes well :rolleyes:

There are unfortunately a lot of  people who are unwilling to listen to another point of view or have a proper discussion, so I just avoid politics  altogether.

Okay, folks, we've discussed violating Forum Guideline 2.2b enough. So, let's get the thread back on topic and focus on questions y'all want to ask the moderator team.

I don't want Vanamonde to get mad at me for poking too much fun at my own history with 2.2b.

21 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

Who is the most active moderator 

You tell us.  

There's some moderators that are visibly active on the forums, and others that lurk.    But we all contribute to the moderation team in decision making.  Trivial stuff like moving posts usually gets handled without any conversation, but anything slightly non-trivial is discussed.   Nothing we do is in a vacuum. 

8 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Why are moderators  colored green, with blue as the lead (the hierarchy distinction i get) and squad/tt as gold? Why those particular colors? Kinda always wondered lol

No idea. Might be the defaults. Or somebody who is not a moderator set them. 

2 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Are you all privy to any secret KSP insider info? :ph34r:

No. :mad:

11 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Why are moderators  colored green, with blue as the lead (the hierarchy distinction i get) and squad/tt as gold? Why those particular colors? Kinda always wondered lol

Because we would know what happen if they made the moderator title in red...

For perspective, remember the original Star Trek series:

• Gold was command
  • Blue was science
  • Red were security/engineering  and therefore, expendable. There were a lot of "red shirts" that beamed down but never beamed back up.

I am quite happy having a green title... :P 

6 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Are you all privy to any secret KSP insider info? :ph34r:

Nope.  We're not Squad employees, we're just volunteers who help out with the forum, so we don't have any more visibility into what's going on inside KSP production than you do.

We do occasionally get a little bit of advance warning when a major announcement happens in the forums (so we can plan accordingly, make sure that some of us are around when the news breaks, that sort of thing)-- in which case we'll sometimes learn stuff a few hours before you do.  But we don't learn any more than you do, generally speaking.

20 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Why was @Vanamonde chosen as lead moderator?

Because everyone else was quicker at calling "not it!" :sticktongue:

(seriously, though, it's what Vanamonde said... and believe me, I'm grateful for that, because it's not a job you take on for the "fun" of it)