Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

16 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

How long were you forum members before you became Mods?

A couple of years (and a couple of thousand posts), in my case.

13 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Why do you guys keep the old mods that have drifted away from here on the mods list.

Because they're friends, and in some cases their absence might not necessarily be permanent and they may drift back.  ;)  Bear in mind that we're just volunteers, we don't get paid for this, and we have to deal with day jobs, family matters, school, etc. like anyone else.  Sometimes folks don't have time for the forums for a while.

13 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

And isnt HarvesteR still under KSP Team list of them on the forums?

Not sure what you mean-- @HarvesteR left Squad quite some time ago, and his profile is currently listed simply as "Members", same as most users.

14 minutes ago, Snark said:

Not sure what you mean-- @HarvesteR left Squad quite some time ago, and his profile is currently listed simply as "Members", same as most users.

Oh, I thought it was listed as KSP Team Member still. I understand that, but some mods that have left, like Sal for instance havent been on in like 3 years, although he could have been anonymous........

2 hours ago, Mikenike said:

I understand that, but some mods that have left, like Sal for instance havent been on in like 3 years, although he could have been anonymous........

You'll note that @sal_vager's profile says "Moderator Emeritus"-- the only person on the forum in that category.  ;)

Sal's special.  He was a mentor and friend to us during his time here.  For those of us who've been fortunate enough to know him personally, he's the guy who showed us what it means to be a moderator here.

The special title is our small way of honoring him.

5 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Why do you guys keep the old mods that have drifted away from here on the mods list. 

You don't see everything we do. Some of those people are still active even though they seldom post. Others may be busy with real world stuff. And as Snark said, they're our friends. 

On 1/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

What’s the difference between a moderator and a forum admin (wondering because I just saw one online.)

They have red names. Looks snazzy, but according to Adsii’s Star Trek  logic, they’re the expendables :P

The admins are the ones who actually maintain the forum.  Setting changes, updates, etc.

Moderators move posts/threads around to keep things organized,  manage arguments/unsuitable posts, ban people for asking too many questions, etc.

edit: Since this part seems to have been missed, I'll clarify.

(just kidding about that last part, of course)

Edited by Geonovast

I suggest to make a sticky post "How to report bugs" as part of new version announcements if there isn't already one (which, obviously, I haven't seen). Over and over again I see questions/reports about something not working properly, only to find the respective issue already reported in the bug tracker.

7 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

I suggest to make a sticky post "How to report bugs" as part of new version announcements if there isn't already one (which, obviously, I haven't seen). Over and over again I see questions/reports about something not working properly, only to find the respective issue already reported in the bug tracker.

You mean like this?

Or did you have something else in mind?

I see. Mostly, yes, As you can see from my signature, I mostly try to help with modded installs (who doesn't love mods), no such link to the bug tracker in the post I'm referring to. And even in the "how to get help with unmodded KSP"-post you mentioned, the important point of "please check the bug tracker at https://xyz to see if your issue has already been reported before asking for help" is only mentioned deep in the text, not as an important bulleted point like KSP version or Detailed explanation. Hence my suggestion, seeing again and again questions "I have this issue", to add "check the bug tracker here before asking"  when it is already a well known issue.

Edited by VoidSquid

Just checked. in the sticky post

both links in the paragraph

Check the stock help sticky and stock known issues sticky: you might be running up against a known issue in KSP itself. Self Help, Reporting Guide.

are pointing to a black hole of old forum posts:

The page you requested does not exist

Edited by VoidSquid

5 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

how do I add stuff at my post? like @Deddly with ''Deedly Design in the MNSP,(...)''?

That's an easy fix. You cannot do it on a mobile device, however.

1. Go to the upper right corner where it has your user name. Let your cursor hover there.
  2. From the drop-down menu, select Account Settings.
  3. On the left of the new screen, you will see several options. One has the icon of a pencil with the word Signature. Click it.
  4. Make sure the toggle is slid to the right. Should see a blue toggle background. If not change it.
  5. Edit your signature until your heart's content. Then click Save.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:14 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

What’s the difference between a moderator and a forum admin (wondering because I just saw one online.)

They have red names. 

That's why green and red.

Spoiler

Mods

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEtcl9zxzCYDWwJfRONs3

Admins

816.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnIc0gQj43PX9H5WTg3QV

Edited by kerbiloid