Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

What are the chances the folks who run the code side of the forums ever reenable the green boxes we had as a visual indication of our reputation way back in the day? Even if its optional I think it would be neat. You know a way to honor where it started?

On 2/25/2021 at 2:01 PM, MechBFP said:

I assume the content itself was hidden somewhere then? I can see that replies to the posts say stuff like "8 months later..."

The Dev Diaries were there, but not on the forums itself. You'll note at the bottom of each post there is a link to the full article (a much better read); that is where they were hiding. I assume that sub-forum was created to make them less hidden.

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

What are the chances the folks who run the code side of the forums ever reenable the green boxes we had as a visual indication of our reputation way back in the day? Even if its optional I think it would be neat. You know a way to honor where it started?

Not sure what you’re referring to, I don’t recall this.    Do you have a pic of it?  

But with the string of updates we’ve had over the years, I don’t know if it would even been possible anymore. 

28 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The Dev Diaries were there, but not on the forums itself. You'll note at the bottom of each post there is a link to the full article (a much better read); that is where they were hiding. I assume that sub-forum was created to make them less hidden.

Well yes I am aware they existed on that main website. But since the website isn’t the forums, those articles are not the reason all the dev diary posts on the forum are dated when they were originally posted. 

41 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Not sure what you’re referring to, I don’t recall this.    Do you have a pic of it?  

But with the string of updates we’ve had over the years, I don’t know if it would even been possible anymore. 

Sadly I cannot find a picture of it. They were little green rectangles directly under our avatars. The higher your reputation the more of them you had. They ranged from a darker green like the shade of grass at ksp to a lighter green after a while. Next time i am at my pc i will see if i can search fu my way into a picture.

10 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Sadly I cannot find a picture of it. They were little green rectangles directly under our avatars. The higher your reputation the more of them you had. They ranged from a darker green like the shade of grass at ksp to a lighter green after a while. Next time i am at my pc i will see if i can search fu my way into a picture.

You mean, like the green boxes in my signature?

Probably slim to none. I believe they were a feature of the BBCode forums, and that IPS doesn't have an equivalent.

I just updated my KML in the tools subsection: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/133971-win-kml-persistence-file-editor/ (need to show the real URL because that's my problem)

Well, the title "[WIN] KML - Persistence file editor" says it's a Windows tool. With the latest release I just added a CLI version, that also runs on Mono, so the Linux and Mac users are now welcome. The full version with GUI still is Windows only. So I'm not fully decided if to change the title or not. 

But the main problem I think about is: IF I change the title, then also the URL changes (right?). And of course I linked to the forum entry on GitHub, the README and within the application itself... Is there any way to link to the thread by ID only (the obvious try didn't work)? Then I could change all my dependencies and when that is done I might think about changing the title :)

1 minute ago, Mythos said:

But the main problem I think about is: IF I change the title, then also the URL changes (right?).

Yes, but also no. The forum ignores or re-writes anything after the thread ID, a dash, and one more character. So if the title changes, new links will look different, but old links still work. For example, CKAN commonly exploits this to truncate links, like this:

20 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Yes, but also no. The forum ignores or re-writes anything after the thread ID, a dash, and one more character. So if the title changes, new links will look different, but old links still work. For example, CKAN commonly exploits this to truncate links, like this:

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Yes, as @HebaruSansaid, and I recently confirmed for myself, the thread is identified by the dash, not the title name.   So your links should still work. 

Ok, then I removed just one character too many in my test :D Good to know, thank you!

12 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

13 hours ago, Gargamel said:

15 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I have made them available on my image repository thread. Complete with what each level meant. 

I still see these images floating around the forum from time to time, but they are from the older software the forum once used.

7 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Its in his sig, but also here

Im rarely on my pc lately and only once lately have i been able to view signatures when i go into landscape mode. It was a fluke that I was able to see Dmans signature. Which is why I had asked for a link. Thank you for said link!