Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

4 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

also who was the first ever forum user and first ever post?

Would you believe me if I said we don't know?

The account with the lowest usernumber is aLeXmOrA, with the usernumber of 3. For reference, my usernumber is 123,837 and yours is 204,576.

The thread with the lowest number is https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/2-ksp-forums-is-now-online/ but the topic number is 2, implying that there was at least one thread before that.

Edited by Dman979
Wrong link

55 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Would you believe me if I said we don't know?

The account with the lowest usernumber is aLeXmOrA, with the usernumber of 3. For reference, my usernumber is 123,837 and yours is 204,576.

The thread with the lowest number is

but the topic number is 2, implying that there was at least one thread before that.

Forum software always comes with a sample thread. I bet that's the first thread - something along the lines of "welcome to blah, blah, your forum software of the future..."

8 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

What's my usernumber? How can I find out what random other people's usernumbers are

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Wait, where is it? Im either blind... or just on mobile. :P

Just now, Starhelperdude said:

what is my usenumber?

also, what was the derp?

The forum had a burp and lost about 1/3 of the registered user accounts. It's often referred to as either the Great Forum Crash or the Great Forum Purge. It's the first time I have heard it referred to a the Forum Derp.

I had been a member since August 2012 and my original account was lost. So...

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I had been a member since August 2012 and my original account was lost. So...

Goes to show how many people re-registered or registered in the few months after the crash/purge/derp.  I originally signed up in Nov '12, but almost immediately re-registered in May after the derp.  64k vs 187k

• 2 weeks later...

If someone is “following” you what does that involve? Do they get notifications every time you post something or is it more like a bookmark of sorts so they can access your activity/profile quickly?

3 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

If someone is “following” you what does that involve? Do they get notifications every time you post something or is it more like a bookmark of sorts so they can access your activity/profile quickl

Yes... 

1 hour ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Why do the @Jebediah Kerman @Bill Kerman @Bob Kerman @Gene Kerman @Wernher von Kerman test accounts have such high rep? Also why do they have high user numbers despite being created before @aLeXmOrA's account (which appears to be the first legit account)

The answer to this question is probably lost to the sands of time, because I don't think anybody now on the Squad team was there when these were made. 

2 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Why do the @Jebediah Kerman @Bill Kerman @Bob Kerman @Gene Kerman @Wernher von Kerman test accounts have such high rep? Also why do they have high user numbers despite being created before @aLeXmOrA's account (which appears to be the first legit account)

4 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

The answer to this question is probably lost to the sands of time, because I don't think anybody now on the Squad team was there when these were made. 

I asked Sal this very question when he first asked me to work on images for the forum. The original plan was to have those who were promoters of the game (we now call them community managers) to use those accounts for official "KSP developer" announcements. But over time, it was too much hassle to maintain who was supposed to use what account. Those accounts still exist. Over time, it became easier to have the various staff members use their own accounts. :)

At least that's what I was told a few years back...

On 4/1/2021 at 4:30 AM, Starhelperdude said:

what is the april joke today?

Check out the April TOTM. It's like Prego - it's in there!