Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

20 hours ago, Souptime said:

i took a look at the moderation team thread, and at the bottom it says "On the bench", what does that mean?

Those are people whose other commitments are preventing them from moderating right now but whom we hope will be able to return to the team at some time.  

What's this about Supernovy's tent? 

On 6/14/2021 at 7:51 PM, Vanamonde said:

What's this about Supernovy's tent? 

i was reading the first 30-35 pages of the thread (Which was around late 2015), and something about "Supernovy's tent" was going around, apparently it might be some sort of disaster, idk

What was the 2013 forum incident? 

Something went wrong and when they tried to revert to a saved backup of the forum, the last viable save turned out to be 7 months old. I don't know why. I wasn't a moderator at the time. But months' worth of posts, threads, and new accounts were undone. 

Also, what was the Great forum migration of 2015? 

We transitioned from one forum software to another. 

Also, who is @Red Iron Crown? Is he a former mod? 

Yes. 

The process of becoming a mod is actually quite grueling (I can say this as I did it just a few years ago). First, you must prepare your body by shaving everywhere and covering yourself in peanut butter. Then there's the physical, where you are tested for endurance and agility by running a 10km obstacle course in subzero temperatures while carrying a backpack full of wet sand. After that, you must write a 1000-word essay about the spirit of the KSP community and how you will preserve and protect it. That done, you move on to the Reverse Captcha, where you must read 1000 posts and determine which ones are spambots, miss more than one and you're out. Finally, after you have completed those tasks, you must submit your moderator registration fee of $1000 in cash to UomoCapra and he'll make you a moderator.[1]

Spoiler

In my case, I was approached by @Darth Badie, who asked me if I was interested in being part of the moderator team. I said yes (after asking a bunch of questions), signed an NDA, and was given a whole bunch of moderator permissions and access. We very much throw new moderators in the deep end and make them learn how to swim!

We have a few things we look for in moderators:

1) Minimum age 18 years old, for legal reasons (tropical years, not siderial). 

2) Have a good understanding of the English language. A second language is valuable but not required, a number of our mods are unilingual.

3) The person is expected to have been contributing for a long time in a positive way to the community and shown a willingness to adapt to and abide by the rules. Post count and rep points don't count, but a hard-earned good reputation and the respect of others is vital.

4) The prospective moderator must be friendly and have a desire to help others. 

5) Must definitely not have any craving for position or power. 

6) Must be willing to do thankless tasks in their free time that very few people, if any, will ever notice, and to occasionally be on the receiving end of unkind, abusive messages whilst being able to keep objectivity and without responding in the same manner. 

[1]Adapted from the original by Red Iron Crown

Edited by Dman979
Formatting.

2 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

In my case, I was approached by @Darth Badie, who asked me if I was interested in being part of the moderator team. I said yes (after asking a bunch of questions), signed an NDA, and was given a whole bunch of moderator permissions and access. We very much throw new moderators in the deep end and make them learn how to swim!

2) Have a good understanding of the English language. A second language is valuable but not required, a number of our mods are unilingual.

3) The person is expected to have been contributing for a long time in a positive way to the community and shown a willingness to adapt to and abide by the rules. Post count and rep points don't count, but a hard-earned good reputation and the respect of others is vital.

6) Must be willing to do thankless tasks in their free time that very few people, if any, will ever notice, and to occasionally be on the receiving end of unkind, abusive messages whilst being able to keep objectivity and without responding in the same manner. 

i qualify for all those, except for number 1 :[

Guess that cuts me outta the running

3 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

How did you hold Snark down to 1000 words? :D

You don't. It is one of those impossible tasks in life. Similar to the one given to Sisyphus.

5 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

@Vanamonde is no longer a Banana Ninja????

What has happened?

Nothing. Every once in a while, we all go through a time when we simply want to change up our profile and avatar. You should know. How many avatars have you rotated through over the last six months?

15 hours ago, Dman979 said:

The process of becoming a mod is actually quite grueling (I can say this as I did it just a few years ago). First, you must prepare your body by shaving everywhere and covering yourself in peanut butter. Then there's the physical, where you are tested for endurance and agility by running a 10km obstacle course in subzero temperatures while carrying a backpack full of wet sand. After that, you must write a 1000-word essay about the spirit of the KSP community and how you will preserve and protect it. That done, you move on to the Reverse Captcha, where you must read 1000 posts and determine which ones are spambots, miss more than one and you're out. Finally, after you have completed those tasks, you must submit your moderator registration fee of $1000 in cash to UomoCapra and he'll make you a moderator.[1]

Hide contents

[1]Adapted from the original by Red Iron Crown

I qualify for some of those, definitely not 1 and 5. :D