Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Well I am out of the loop for the latest lingo as I thought a pedant was

One who ostentatiously exhibits academic knowledge or who pays undue attention to minor details or formal rules.

But I shall not be pedantic about it. :)

23 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Well I am out of the loop for the latest lingo as I thought a pedant was

One who ostentatiously exhibits academic knowledge or who pays undue attention to minor details or formal rules.

But I shall not be pedantic about it. :)

Yes, that is what pedant means, as far as I know. 

9 hours ago, Deddly said:

A few years ago, the word we don't allow on this forum for the German army in WWII was automatically changed to "bad person". The word filter was later changed to "pedant". Moderators can edit their own posts without the edit being visible, though I usually tick the box to make the edit visible. In this case, I forgot about the change to "pedant" when I typed my joke and made a quick edit within seconds and figured nobody had had a chance to read it yet so no need to tick the box. Oh well. :)

Not even moderators can escape the all-seeing Eye of Sauron Google… :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Not even moderators can escape the all-seeing Eye of Sauron Google… 

That organisation will soon be considered a naughty word and will be then known as

Duplicitous.Advertising.Machine.Aggresively.Getting.Everybody.

or DAMAGE for short. :)

12 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

There. Should. Be. Four. DOTS!

See, now here I thought my grammar was pretty darn good, but I find I have no idea of the proper usage of the ellipsis, or even that three dots was called an ellipsis. I shall endeavor to pay more attention to  using this powerful punctuation properly as I spam it across the forum....

Learn something new every day....

9 hours ago, Dman979 said:

There. Should. Be. Four. DOTS!

Actually that is a bit of a grey area as the ellipsis was to intentionally leave out "I'd have to kill you." And by definition.

The ellipsis ..., . . ., or (as a single glyph) , also known informally as dot-dot-dot, is a series of (usually three) dots that indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.[1] The word (plural ellipses) originates from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis meaning 'leave out'.[1]

7 hours ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

Wait there is a auto filter?

Let me just test it really quickly (nothing bad just grammer 1940s german person)

Grammer pedant

wow thats kind of cool

It works in personal messages too. With someone you can trust and who are forewarned of your intent, send a personal message with every nasty swear word you can think of and then see what actually is written once sent, there are some interesting and sometimes funny results.

2 hours ago, Deddly said:

Unless there are alternative rules (I haven't checked), an ellipsis would normally be followed by a full stop (a period for those who speak alternative English) when ending a sentence. 

And since an ellipsis is three dots, and a period (full stop for those who like over-complicating things) is one dot, that makes four. Game, set, and match.

And

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

It works in personal messages too. With someone you can trust and who are forewarned of your intent, send a personal message with every nasty swear word you can think of and then see what actually is written once sent, there are some interesting and sometimes funny results.

I'd discourage you from doing this, it's a bad idea.

14 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

And since an ellipsis is three dots, and a period (full stop for those who like over-complicating things) is one dot, that makes four. Game, set, and match.

That's what you ...! :)

15 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I'd discourage you from doing this, it's a bad idea.

I found this out accidentally. A forum friend had conveyed some bad news and I had exclaimed in response, only to find my word changed.

Do you guys and gals have the ability to see who opens/closes threads? I have seen mods declare a thread locked and logically conclude said mod locked it, but, in some cases like with “dont click this”  it is simply locked with no indication as to which mod closed it or who opened it to let us in to click. Just curious

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

Do you guys and gals have the ability to see who opens/closes threads? I have seen mods declare a thread locked and logically conclude said mod locked it, but, in some cases like with “dont click this”  it is simply locked with no indication as to which mod closed it or who opened it to let us in to click. Just curious

Yes, there's a record of it. 

11 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

9 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Yes, there's a record of it. 

Most threads don’t have any entries.    Some threads have a couple entries.    Don’t click this...... well that list has a loading time similar to a super modded 1.3.1 on a potato.   ;) 

On 10/2/2021 at 2:49 PM, Dman979 said:

And since an ellipsis is three dots, and a period (full stop for those who like over-complicating things) is one dot, that makes four.

Wrong-o. I got nailed for this when doing my dissertation. An ellipse at the end of a sentence still only has three dots. And when your dissertation was 396 pages, and you have to find each one at the end of a sentence... Yes, it's a lesson one never forgets. 

And an ellipse never goes at the beginning of a sentence. Ever.

22 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Hmmmm....

Agree to disagree  :sticktongue:

Correct rules care not.

https://erinwrightwriting.com/title-use-ellipses-part-3-ellipses-beginning-end-quoted-sentences/#:~:text=General Rule%3A With the exception of MLA style%2C,unnecessary at the end of a quoted sentence.

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html

If you notice in the examples, at the end of a sentence, there's not an extra "dot" added...

Experience is a cruel teacher. And it taught me well.

There seems to be disagreement online (who would have thought?). If you're writing a scholarly paper, there should be a style guide you need to stick to, otherwise, most information I can find online is that there should be a period at the end if you're American https://www.grammarly.com/blog/ellipsis/ but that seems less common in the UK.

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html

If you notice in the examples, at the end of a sentence, there's not an extra "dot" added...

Look closely at the very last example in that link. There's at least one more on the same page.

EDIT: Even the other link uses four....

Edited by Deddly
More information

39 minutes ago, Deddly said:

There seems to be disagreement online (who would have thought?). If you're writing a scholarly paper, there should be a style guide you need to stick to, otherwise, most information I can find online is that there should be a period at the end if you're American https://www.grammarly.com/blog/ellipsis/ but that seems less common in the UK.

Look closely at the very last example in that link. There's at least one more on the same page.

EDIT: Even the other link uses four....

Dude. I was told four was wrong. So, when you're trying to graduate, you do whatever your dissertation chair wants. Even if they are using an older version of the Chicago Manual of Style! 

28 minutes ago, modus said:

You guys made me wonder for my language and TIL I've been doing it wrong for a long time...

Stick with three. It earned me a Ph.D. 

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Dude. I was told four was wrong. So, when you're trying to graduate, you do whatever your dissertation chair wants. Even if they are using an older version of the Chicago Manual of Style!

Oh absolutely! Do whatever your instructor/supervisor tells you to do, and follow the required style guide if you are writing for a journal.

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Stick with three. It earned me a Ph.D. 

Well, that depends on who you're writing for - another institution might require the fourth dot. :)