Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

On 10/2/2021 at 5:43 PM, Deddly said:

an ellipsis would normally be followed by a full stop (a period for those who speak alternative English) when ending a sentence. 

But you wouldn't add a period after any other sentence-ending punctuation!.

Would you?.

20 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Would you?.

I honestly believe some people just like being difficult!. :blush:

2 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Is it possible to remove or increase the like limits for users that meet a certain criteria (I.E. Very Active?)

To be quite honest, I am not sure what your statement is in reference to... (there are THREE dots!)

4 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I honestly believe some people just like being difficult!. :blush:

To be quite honest, I am not sure what your statement is in reference to... (there are THREE dots!)

Um, I'm not following the grammar wars here. I just want my question answered about the like limits.

14 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Um, I'm not following the grammar wars here. I just want my question answered about the like limits.

That's something that was set by one of the community managers a long time ago. While there have been conversations in the past about changing it, the discussion always comes back to "let's leave well enough alone."

Any time you tinker with the forum's rep system you create a lot of unhappy people.

13 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

That's something that was set by one of the community managers a long time ago. While there have been conversations in the past about changing it, the discussion always comes back to "let's leave well enough alone."

Any time you tinker with the forum's rep system you create a lot of unhappy people.

So you couldn't increase the like limit by 5 and have no consequences on the rep system?

How does it work then?

50 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

So you couldn't increase the like limit by 5 and have no consequences on the rep system?

How does it work then?

Reputation has "value" because it is relatively limited. When we increase the supply of reputation available to give away, it cheapens the value of that reputation.

Personally, I'm in favor of lowering the reputation limit to 5 times per day and having the value equal to 5 times what it is now. That way, the total number of reputation available to give away remains the same (25 reputation per 24 hours), but increases the value of that reputation. I'd also like to reinstate the "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to [person you just gave rep to]" policy again.

But those are unpopular changes, and I'm not willing to upset the forum over them.

I only once ran out of likes and it was quite annoying. I generally only like something if it was impressive or made me laugh. There are some times though when you wish to acknowledge that you have read something without writing a message. If suggestions are a thing that are both acknowledged and can actually be implemented, I would like to suggest that if you have been tagged in a post then an "Acknowledge Button" turns up next to the "Like Button" so that you may convey that you have seen it.

21 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Would you?.

No, I would never do that (or would I?). 

Let's just agree that the English language - especially written English - is a hopeless mess, but it has been a pleasure to derail the thread because of it. :)

13 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

We've already raised the like limit, but no matter what it was some people would want more. Anyway, the purpose of the limit is to make the points mean something and not just be doled out to every post. 

[Dman979 likes this]

16 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Can there be a international forum section for British/Austrailian English?

Reveal hidden contents

Not a super serious suggestion, just more curious on how new parts of the forum are made!

There already is one.

Adding a subforum is just a couple clicks by an admin.   But yes, "International" is a misnomer.   English is the 'official' language of the forums, so anything that is posted in another language either requires a translation, or should be in the 'International' subs. 

Edited by Gargamel
The irony of a typo when saying English is the official language

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

There already is one.

Adding a subforum is just a couple clicks by an admin.   But yes, "International" is a misnomer.   English is 'official' language of the forums, so anything that is posted in another language either requires a translation, or should be in the 'International' subs. 

Thanks!