Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

On 12/10/2021 at 9:40 AM, BekfastDerp13 said:

What do you do outside of the forum?

Professional software engineer, for the last quarter-century or so.  (I was a physics major in college, but afterwards ended up finding playing with computers more fun, not to mention more employable.)

Oh, and play KSP, of course.  ;)

23 minutes ago, SSTO Crasher said:

I don’t understand the moderator ranks, what is moderator emeritus, @sal_vager,s rank is that

e·mer·i·tus
/əˈmerədəs/

adjective
adjective: emeritus
  1. (of the former holder of an office, especially a college professor) having retired but allowed to retain their title as an honor.
    "emeritus professor of microbiology"

On 12/12/2021 at 9:48 AM, SSTO Crasher said:

I don’t understand the moderator ranks, what is moderator emeritus, @sal_vager,s rank is that

From the last time this question came up:  ;)

On 8/31/2020 at 4:56 PM, Vanamonde said:

There's only one emeritus, which is an honorary title for a person who has left the forum to pursue other interests, but who we wanted to remember because he did unbelievable amounts of work for the forum during his tenure. 

Also,

On 1/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, Snark said:

Sal's special.  He was a mentor and friend to us during his time here.  For those of us who've been fortunate enough to know him personally, he's the guy who showed us what it means to be a moderator here.

The special title is our small way of honoring him.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:41 AM, ColdJ said:

You have many layers. :)

To be honest, the "dumb onion" thing started off as a joke about five years back. We've been hit with sensitivity training on the community college campus where I work at for the last five years, each year it has gotten more over-the-top. Having to be careful of what I say on the campus, I changed "dumb bunny" as so I would not offend bunnies, people identifying as bunnies, or people who like bunnies to "dumb onion."

I do have many layers, though. So, yes, your observation is correct.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:27 AM, AtomicTech said:

What's the biggest necropost on the site?

(Date that the thread started -> date ended -> date revived)

Don't know if it is the oldest, but 8 years later on a thread that had 1 post is pretty impressive.

50 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Don't know if it is the oldest, but 8 years later on a thread that had 1 post is pretty impressive.

Yeah, and let's try to keep that thread that way. Besides, I looked at the thread after your post. And not one fan on it! What a disappointment.

51IECVWHnXL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I bought a fan off Amazon for my bedroom, as I have to keep air circulating and need white noise to be able to sleep thanks to tinnitus and claustrophobia. So, when you highlighted that post and it said regarding fan pages, I became exicted! Who would have thought we have pages dedicated to fans! Wow, was I disappointed. What a complete waste of a perfectly good mouse-click. Had I known that, I could have messed with that "Don't Click This" thread! :huh:

Spoiler

No, just kidding. :cool:

9 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Yeah, and let's try to keep that thread that way.

It is locked tight. So only a moderator could unlock it. And if @Vanamonde has the record for the longest time necropost I don't think that they would like to give up the title. :)

Besides, you would have to find a different post as technically it was used in June and so would be less than a year old.

19 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Man! My seven year Necropost letting people know that BrickMod was back in development looks like small potatoes!

That’s not a necro.   If you post to an old thread and have something significant to contribute, there’s nothing wrong with that.  
As long as it’s on topic and contributes to the discussion, that’s completely fine under the rules.  This is common in the Science and Spaceflight sub, as missions can take years to reach their destinations, and there will be little discussion during that travel.   We’d much rather you find the old thread and post there, then make us dig for it and then do a merge, which sometimes can be problematic.

The problem with actual necros is that the game has gone through so many versions over the years, the vast majority of game related threads are outdated, and modern answers won’t apply correctly.   Posting an answer that only works  in 1.9 or later versions in a thread relating to 1.3 games is a necro, and not a good thing.  Also, posting in a thread just to post in an old thread is heavily frowned upon.  

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

That’s not a necro.   If you post to an old thread and have something significant to contribute, there’s nothing wrong with that.  
As long as it’s on topic and contributes to the discussion, that’s completely fine under the rules.  This is common in the Science and Spaceflight sub, as missions can take years to reach their destinations, and there will be little discussion during that travel.   We’d much rather you find the old thread and post there, then make us dig for it and then do a merge, which sometimes can be problematic.

The problem with actual necros is that the game has gone through so many versions over the years, the vast majority of game related threads are outdated, and modern answers won’t apply correctly.   Posting an answer that only works  in 1.9 or later versions in a thread relating to 1.3 games is a necro, and not a good thing.  Also, posting in a thread just to post in an old thread is heavily frowned upon.  

I figured as much, it's just sometimes more fun to exaggerate and say that you did a seven year necropost.