Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

21 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I am not familiar with this expression. "knows where his towel is..." :huh:

Once I realized what the reference was to... duh. Slow mental speed day. It's a migraine-event day. Full of delayed reactions.

@AtomicTech:

Hide contents

A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

@Deddly: thanks for the smile. :)

Thanks for the clarification!

I don't think I've reached that part yet.

Hey so uh

I got the "1015 you are being rate limited" error from Cloudflare that was mentioned on page 226 just now ("The owner of the site has temporarily banned you from viewing this page", "all hail Cloudflare our infallible overlords", etc.) I'm having to type this on my phone and didn't have an easy time looking for answers on the forum whilst... banned from viewing the forum xP

Hopefully this clears up by tomorrow but I'm sad I've been forced to stop visiting the forum for today and figured it's better to say something than be silent in case others are having issues too.

I hope the KSP network is okay!

3 hours ago, problemecium said:

Hey so uh

I got the "1015 you are being rate limited" error from Cloudflare that was mentioned on page 226 just now ("The owner of the site has temporarily banned you from viewing this page", "all hail Cloudflare our infallible overlords", etc.) I'm having to type this on my phone and didn't have an easy time looking for answers on the forum whilst... banned from viewing the forum xP

Hopefully this clears up by tomorrow but I'm sad I've been forced to stop visiting the forum for today and figured it's better to say something than be silent in case others are having issues too.

I hope the KSP network is okay!

We're not aware of any issues but do let us know if it continues. Sorry for your trouble. 

7 hours ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

How exactly did you guys become moderators?

I volunteered to set up a bot on the IRC channel to help the channel operators moderate the channel, and after that was running for a while, @sal_vager, who was lead moderator at the time, asked me if I would consider being a moderator and a channel op.

9 hours ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

When we need new team members sometimes we call for applications and sometimes we invite certain people who we have observed being helpful on the forum. 

On 1/21/2022 at 5:22 AM, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

The process of becoming a mod is actually quite grueling (I can say this as I did it just a few years ago). First, you must prepare your body by shaving everywhere and covering yourself in peanut butter. Then there's the physical, where you are tested for endurance and agility by running a 10km obstacle course in subzero temperatures while carrying a backpack full of wet sand. After that, you must write a 1000-word essay about the spirit of the KSP community and how you will preserve and protect it. That done, you move on to the Reverse Captcha, where you must read 1000 posts and determine which ones are spambots, miss more than one and you're out. Finally, after you have completed those tasks, you must submit your moderator registration fee of $1000 in cash to KSPStar and she'll make you a moderator.[1]

Spoiler

In my case, I was approached by Darth Badie, who asked me if I was interested in being part of the moderator team. I said yes (after asking a bunch of questions), signed an NDA, and was given a whole bunch of moderator permissions and access. We very much throw new moderators in the deep end and make them learn how to swim!

We have a few things we look for in moderators:

1) Minimum age 18 years old, for legal reasons (tropical years, not sidereal). 

2) Have a good understanding of the English language. A second language is valuable but not required, a number of our mods are unilingual.

3) The person is expected to have been contributing for a long time in a positive way to the community and shown a willingness to adapt to and abide by the rules. Post count and rep points don't count, but a hard-earned good reputation and the respect of others is vital.

4) The prospective moderator must be friendly and have a desire to help others. 

5) Must definitely not have any craving for position or power. 

6) Must be willing to do thankless tasks in their free time that very few people, if any, will ever notice, and to occasionally be on the receiving end of unkind, abusive messages whilst being able to keep objectivity and without responding in the same manner. 

[1]Adapted from the original by Red Iron Crown

On 1/22/2022 at 11:51 AM, Dman979 said:

The process of becoming a mod is actually quite grueling (I can say this as I did it just a few years ago). First, you must prepare your body by shaving everywhere and covering yourself in peanut butter. Then there's the physical, where you are tested for endurance and agility by running a 10km obstacle course in subzero temperatures while carrying a backpack full of wet sand. After that, you must write a 1000-word essay about the spirit of the KSP community and how you will preserve and protect it. That done, you move on to the Reverse Captcha, where you must read 1000 posts and determine which ones are spambots, miss more than one and you're out. Finally, after you have completed those tasks, you must submit your moderator registration fee of $1000 in cash to KSPStar and she'll make you a moderator.[1]

Reveal hidden contents

In my case, I was approached by Darth Badie, who asked me if I was interested in being part of the moderator team. I said yes (after asking a bunch of questions), signed an NDA, and was given a whole bunch of moderator permissions and access. We very much throw new moderators in the deep end and make them learn how to swim!

2) Have a good understanding of the English language. A second language is valuable but not required, a number of our mods are unilingual.

3) The person is expected to have been contributing for a long time in a positive way to the community and shown a willingness to adapt to and abide by the rules. Post count and rep points don't count, but a hard-earned good reputation and the respect of others is vital.

6) Must be willing to do thankless tasks in their free time that very few people, if any, will ever notice, and to occasionally be on the receiving end of unkind, abusive messages whilst being able to keep objectivity and without responding in the same manner. 

you must be broke by now

8 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

carrot juice would be a better choice?

Blending carrot juice and drinking it after was my worst regret even though carrots are my favorite vegetable. It was just blended, and the only ingredients were water and carrots!

It was our group project on Home Economics, my groupmate broke one of the water glasses after drinking it.

• 2 weeks later...

9 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

How do we become a mod?

On 1/21/2022 at 2:24 PM, Vanamonde said:

When we need new team members sometimes we call for applications and sometimes we invite certain people who we have observed being helpful on the forum. 

1 hour ago, Nazalassa said:

How do we become a mod?

On 1/22/2022 at 9:51 AM, Dman979 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I have many some questions about the forums:

1. In a rate of 1 out of 10, how hard it's to be applicated to be a Moderator?
  2. Has a forum controversy happened in here? (that's not involved with the Dres existance dispute)
  3. A necropost with nice (up-to-date) content or info is still considered a pointless necropost?
  4. I see that my Profile link has numbers before my name, however i'm curious about which forum user has the 69 number on it.
  5. Was the forum much more friendly during the forums's first years?
  6. This non-ksp emoji variant,:mellow: , will it soon be replaced or it will remain intact for the eternity?
  7. If i want a Thread to be nominated in the TOTM, do i need to report it and add in the description TOTM?
  8. Is there a TOTM Nomination per user limit?
  9. April Fools extreme jokes are tolerable here?
  10. Are you hyped for KSP 2?:D

I also have more questions, although none of them are forum-related:

1. I'm currently developing a mod, but i'm still struggling to find the appropiate License, i suppose that a CC-BY-NC-ND License will make it much more restrict to any community patch for it? but a CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 will make things like that happen, but it will risk my models and stuff to be used on other mods without permission. Is what i said true? Also Which one is appropiate for my Planet Pack and my Visual Mod?
  2. An CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 means that i'm able to release modifications of it(for example, i have variants of Jupiter Textures which i took from RSS-Textures), but i'm not sure if full authorization is required to release it.
  3. What is a Source code? and do i need to provide such code on every mod i release?
  4. Is Curseforge still relevant?
  5. I have another mod(in dev) with music(that needs Soundtrack Editor), however, the composer of the music i bundled has all of them All Rights Reserved, which means that i need to contact with him for the use of his music, if so, maybe i'll talk to him for permission?
  6. I actually agree the idea of including some of my mods on CKAN, but i've heard that some licenses are incompatible for CKAN to list them, is that true?
  7. Nasa's Planet sounds records can be used without asking them for permission, right?
Edited by Venusian Explorer
oh my... lots of typos, i fixed most of them now.

1 minute ago, Venusian Explorer said:

A necropost with nice (up-to-date) content or info is still considered a pointless necropost?

Nope.   If a post is on topic and contributes to the thread, then it is not a necro.   Posting to an old thread for the sake of posting is a necro and is frowned upon.  

3 minutes ago, Venusian Explorer said:

Was the forum much more friendly during the forums's first years?

What?   This is one of the friendliest places on the net.  It's a forum on science and space, of course disagreements will occur, but it's not unfriendly in the slightest. 

5 minutes ago, Venusian Explorer said:

If i want a Thread to be nominated in the TOTM, do i need to report it and add in the description TOTM?

Yes

5 minutes ago, Venusian Explorer said:

Is there a TOTM Nomination per user limit?

No, but if it gets excessive, we might give your nominations less weight. 

6 minutes ago, Venusian Explorer said:

April Fools extreme jokes are tolerable here?

Depends.  Don't insult anybody and don't break the forums. 

6 minutes ago, Venusian Explorer said:

I see that my Profile link has numbers before my name, however i'm curious about which forum user has the 69 number on it.

You can find that out yourself.   The name is irrelevant, the number is all that matters. 

8 minutes ago, Venusian Explorer said:

I also have more questions, although none of them are forum-related:

These questions are best asked in the modding sections, some of them are answered by the stickies, some you might need some more direct guidance.