Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

3 minutes ago, Venusian Explorer said:
  1. I see that my Profile link has numbers before my name, however i'm curious about which forum user has the 69 number on it.

Someone who joined in 2011 and never did anything with the account:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/69-wadayamean/

1. I'm currently developing a mod, but i'm still struggling to find the appropiate License, i suppose that a CC-BY-NC-ND License will make it much more restrict to any community patch? but a CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 will make things like that happen, but it will risk my textures use on other mods. Which one is apropiate for my Planet Pack and my Visual Mod?

Do you want to restrict derivative works, or not? The "ND" license means that nobody can use parts of your mod for another mod. The "SA" license means that they can, but that if they do, they have to use the same license.

1. An CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 means that i'm able to release modifications of it(for example, i have variants of Jupiter Textures which i took from RSS-Textures), but i'm not sure if full authorization is required to release it.

"SA" stands for "share-alike", which means that if you want to distribute content from that mod, you must also distribute it under the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 license.

1. What is a Source code? and do i need to provide such code on every mod i release?

This refers to computer code written in a programming language (almost always C# for KSP mods). If you're not making a plugin (DLL file), this requirement does not apply to you.

1. I have another mod(in dev) with music(that needs Soundtrack Editor), however, the composer of the music i bundled has all of them All Rights Reserved, which means that i need to contact with him for the use of his music, if so, maybe i'll talk to him for permission?

Yes, you have no right to redistribute someone else's All Rights Reserved content without permission.

1. I actually agree the idea of including some of my mods on CKAN, but i've heard that some licenses are incompatible for CKAN to list them, is that true?

No, that's not true.

1. Nasa's Planet sounds records can be used without asking them for permission, right?

In general, yes. Here are the guidelines:   https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/guidelines/index.html

14 hours ago, Venusian Explorer said:

I also have more questions, although none of them are forum-related:

<various great questions about mod development>

Really good questions!  Some good answers from HebaruSan, above.  :)  Many of these are worth discussing in more depth; but as Gargamel mentions, this thread's not really the right place to go into details.

I'd suggest posting these questions over in the modding section of the forums, if you'd like to get into more detail and hear various people's perspectives.  Add-on Discussions is a good place to start.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

The question we all want answered, Why is @Vanamonde's profile picture an overly saturated banana?

TBH it looks a little under-saturated to me.

1 hour ago, BekfastDerp13 said:

Have you ever participated in one of the many amazing mission challenges on this forum?

Yes, I have!

;)

Serious question for a second. I am seeing quite often lately, new members who post as if they have never looked at the rules of the forum. I don't want to report them and get them in trouble, but I also can't direct them to look at the rules as technically that is acting like a moderator, and so then I would be breaking the rules.

Are there regular sweeps through the pages by moderators to catch these sort of posts?

Is there any other option?

23 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I don't want to report them and get them in trouble

All reporting does is bring it to the attention of moderators. They then decide what to do, if anything, based on their own judgment. Usually some redaction accompanied by a helpful explanation of the rules, especially for newer users. If there's something the moderators should know about (even something non-rule-breaking like a post in the wrong subforum), reporting is the solution.

23 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Are there regular sweeps through the pages by moderators to catch these sort of posts?

If there were, that would have the same outcome as reporting: a moderator would become aware of it. Just report.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:34 AM, Fraktal said:

Weird thing happened today. I suddenly got IP-banned for an hour from both the forum and the wiki by CloudFlare rate limiting after having opened the past seven or so major version announcement threads looking for something in the changelogs. Is that normal?

Same it says “

Error 1015

Ray ID: 6e35b595ff06b71b •2022-02-26 02:23:04 UTC

You are being rate limited

What happened?

The owner of this website (www.kerbalspaceprogram.com) has banned you temporarily from accessing this website.

Was this page helpful? Yes No

Cloudflare Ray ID: 6e35b595ff06b71bYour IP: 2601:346:c00:8c60:e0f2:57b:6369:49d7Performance & security by Cloudflare

On 2/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, ColdJ said:

I am seeing quite often lately, new members who post as if they have never looked at the rules of the forum. I don't want to report them and get them in trouble, but I also can't direct them to look at the rules as technically that is acting like a moderator, and so then I would be breaking the rules.

Just report them.  It's the right thing to do, and is the best way to help them.  Reporting them doesn't "get them in trouble".

Remember, folks:  Filing a report on a post is not pejorative.  A report does not mean "this is bad" or "this person is doing evil".  It simply means "hey moderators, take a look at this, please".  A newbie who is clueless about the rules is an excellent example of someone who needs some help, and so reporting is absolutely the right thing to do.  It's no different from calling 911 if you see a kid who's stuck up in a tree.

"Clueless newbie colors outside the lines" is a thing that happens all the time.  It always has, and it's no big deal.  We moderators know this, and remember, we're here to help.  It's why we signed up for the job.  Users don't get in trouble for making an innocent mistake-- anyone can goof, we understand this.

So in a case like this, typically what happens is:

1. we see the report
  2. we go tidy up the problem in question
  3. we drop the person a friendly note along the lines of "hi, welcome to the forum, by the way we see that you did X over here, we understand you mean well but the rules say not to so please don't do that; please don't worry, you're not in any trouble, hope you have fun here"

(Someone who repeatedly does the same out-of-bounds things despite being told not to would be a different matter, of course, but most of the time that doesn't come up.)

On 2/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, ColdJ said:

Not really, no.  There are only a small handful of us, we're part-time volunteers who have IRL stuff to deal with and do this only as a hobby.  We simply don't have the bandwidth to monitor the forums-- we never have, and we don't even try, for the most part.

We do notice stuff on our own from time to time, but only because we're forum users too, just like you.  If I'm browsing the forums and I just happen to notice something amiss, I file a report (to share it with the team) and then we move from there, sure.  But for the most part, we're heavily dependent on reports from users.  You good folks have several orders of magnitude more eyeballs than we do, and there's simply no way we can compare to that.

In short:  if you don't report it, there's a pretty good chance we won't see it.  Which means the person will probably keep repeating that behavior because they don't know any better.  Which will annoy people, more and more, until people start angrily lashing out at the clueless person, and then everyone loses and the newbie feels bad.  It becomes a whole sorry mess that could have been easily and amicably avoided if the newbie had gotten a friendly helping hand right at the start.

So, yes, please report.  It helps the person you're reporting, it helps the moderator team, and (indirectly) it helps everyone else in the forums.

I have a question. In the URL of a post, it has a number. Is that what number that post is? Or is it random? Example

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/111158-ask-the-mods-questions-about-the-forums/page/250/#comment-4099643

3 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

Thread Number

3 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

Post number

Hope that hope that helps.  I don't know if they are assigned numerically as threads/posts are created, there may be some gaps, but it would make sense.    And the forums have gone through a number of engine changes over the years, so the numbering system has probably changed, threads have been lost, so trying to find thread #1 might be difficult.