Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

33 minutes ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

Just fixed my own question and replaced it with another!

How do you delete forum posts from threads like this one?

You hit the report button and ask for it to be deleted.  

6 hours ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

How do you delete forum posts from threads like this one?

As @Gargamel explains above, you can report your post with the request to remove.  (The reason we don't let people just delete posts themselves is because of the potential for abuse, e.g. from trolls and such.)

We're happy to remove a user's post when they request it... on one condition:  only if nobody has quoted it or responded to it.  Because if someone has responded, then deleting the original would leave the responder looking like they're responding-to-nothing, which would be weird.

So, for example, suppose you wanted to remove your post that I've just quoted above.  Since people have already responded to it (for example, Gargamel's initial response), that means that that particular post of yours would not be subject to removal, even upon request.

12 hours ago, CFYL said:

So... What subforums will be added in early 2023? I mean, if we still use this forum instead of starting a new one? 

There's been a little discussion of subforums but nothing definite as yet. And yes, they've said that this will remain the official forum for KSP games. 

5 hours ago, Kerb24 said:

Why is it that very old posts get there posted date set to December 31, 1969?

When we transfer the content from old forum software versions to new ones sometimes details are lost, such as the time stamps on some very old posts. Since something needs to be there, software will often stick in the default date of 12/31/69. That moment was set as the start of time counting very early in computer science for reasons I don't recall. 

23 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Wrong. :rolleyes:

@Dman979 is like the Borg. The correct way to refer to this bio-mechanical life form is 9 of 79.  :cool:

Wait, so there are 78 other Dman's? So what, does he play defense on a hockey team? (pardon my ignorance, but are there other sports that refer to defensive players (defensemen) as "dee-men"?

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Wait, so there are 78 other Dman's? So what, does he play defense on a hockey team? (pardon my ignorance, but are there other sports that refer to defensive players (defensemen) as "dee-men"?

How big are your hockey teams?! :confused:

36 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

How big are your hockey teams?! :confused:

Well, 79 D-man clones would be enough to fill 13 typical ice hockey rosters with defensemen (six each), with one sitting out. Although it's not rare to see a team dress seven D-men. So, about 40.6% of the NHL teams...

E: Makes me wonder how big of a lake would be a good size for a game between teams of ~170 skaters per side... But now I'm getting silly again...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

7 hours ago, Deddly said:

My guess is either a swarm of bots or people were especially excited about the possibility of hotfix 1.11.2

I know we had a whole lot of excitement generated about the time that 0.90 (Beta than ever!) was released. It was a huge moment in KSP history and there was a lot of forum activity then. I was not on the moderation team at the time, but I could be mistaken. And I know there was also a lot of traffic when 1.0 came out; the forum speed was extremely slow and laggy (because of server issues).

On 6/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, ColdJ said:

My guess is that somebody posted something contentious, and nearly 8000 people commented to tell them why they were wrong. :)

Must have been about metallic hydrogen?

I was planning to create a ModuleManager Help Thread, seeing how many people needed help getting the mod to do what they wanted. The current owner/developer of the mod has said that they don't really see the point, but the new thread will be at no cost to them. However, I have not gotten explicit permission to. I've read through the community guidelines, and they say nothing about this, but I'm still not sure whether I'm allowed to start it or not. See pages 298-299 of the Module Manager thread for specific arguments/reasoning, on both sides of the debate.