Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

@SkyFall2489, moderators only enforce the forum rules, and none of the rules would be broken by such a thread, as far as I can tell. 

But just like there is no forum rule against forking and making your own version of a mod or bundling it into a mod pack (license permitting), that doesn't automatically mean it will be well received by some individuals. I don't have any insight into how people feel about this particular issue, but whatever the case, we don't enforce gentleman's agreements or forum etiquette. :)

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

In case of documenttion/help there is a risk that it will make erroneous statements, which will be making the mod authors react on questions and complaints.

@SkyFall2489

If it is a help thread where you are sharing knowledge and experience on issues and you have proven that your solutions and methods work. Then I would see no issue with you starting the thread. You are not taking over the mod, you are simply creating a suplemental designed to help the average user overcome problems that they may encounter. A lot of modders lose passion for their creations over an extended time, and no longer feel like answering questions when people ask. I believe you should be appreciated if you are willing to put in the effort. It is of no threat to the modder and can only improve peoples reaction to it. I keep up with various threads and see question after question that are never answered by the author. So your thread would be a boon.

It is in fact one of the core reasons for the forum to exist at all, that of the sharing of knowledge to help out fellow players, so that we may all get the best experince and promote a kind and caring community that we can hold up as an example of how the world should be.

(Just make it clear that you are in no way anything to do with the creation of the mod, just another user sharing the insights you have gained over time.)

10 hours ago, ColdJ said:

@SkyFall2489

If it is a help thread where you are sharing knowledge and experience on issues and you have proven that your solutions and methods work. Then I would see no issue with you starting the thread. You are not taking over the mod, you are simply creating a suplemental designed to help the average user overcome problems that they may encounter. A lot of modders lose passion for their creations over an extended time, and no longer feel like answering questions when people ask. I believe you should be appreciated if you are willing to put in the effort. It is of no threat to the modder and can only improve peoples reaction to it. I keep up with various threads and see question after question that are never answered by the author. So your thread would be a boon.

It is in fact one of the core reasons for the forum to exist at all, that of the sharing of knowledge to help out fellow players, so that we may all get the best experince and promote a kind and caring community that we can hold up as an example of how the world should be.

(Just make it clear that you are in no way anything to do with the creation of the mod, just another user sharing the insights you have gained over time.)

Well, here's hoping Sarbian doesn't get angry.

On 6/1/2022 at 6:54 AM, ColdJ said:

My guess is that somebody posted something contentious, and nearly 8000 people commented to tell them why they were wrong. :)

On 6/2/2022 at 10:55 AM, Dman979 said:

Must have been about metallic hydrogen?

Or "The Barn." Or they dared to mention that they were thinking about mucking with the Round-8 tank...

Edited by StrandedonEarth
doublepost doublepost

When we need people we sometimes invite them and sometimes call for applications. Candidates need to be good written communicators, helpful around the forum, and have a pretty clean record as far as warns and stuff. 

On 6/2/2022 at 6:55 PM, Dman979 said:
On 6/1/2022 at 2:54 PM, ColdJ said:

My guess is that somebody posted something contentious, and nearly 8000 people commented to tell them why they were wrong. :)

Must have been about metallic hydrogen?

Good ol times, telling people that technology which isn't possible today shouldn't be automatically crossed off for a futuristic setting.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Why can't we change our usernames or delete posts? It seems like a simple thing that most stuff has and I'd like to know why the forum doesn't have it.

To prevent people from causing trouble and then trying to hide the evidence. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Why is only 1 name change allowed? I get not wanting ppl to change names every other day, but I feel that 1 name change forever is a bit extreme.

Because it makes work for the moderating team. We are unpaid volunteers, have day jobs, and don't have unlimited time to devote to moderating. 

6 hours ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

What are warning points exactly, and what do they do?

They're a way for us to indicate how severe we deem an offense to be. A mild infraction will usually have zero points. If the person keeps it up we may give 3 points, or 5. The points expire after a while but if a person has 5 active points, that person's posts then must have moderator approval before they are posted. If a person gets up to 10 active points, the account cannot post at all for a while. If you manage to reach 25 active points you are permanently banned, but that almost never happens. 

1 minute ago, Lijazos said:

Hello! Is it possible to change one's forum account username? I'd like to have it changed and I'm unsure if it's even possible, or if I'd have to create a new account just for that.