Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

8 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Why do y'all write [Snip] instead of just removing things from posts/comments?

That's a great question! It's because we don't want people to wonder what happened to their content. If something gets removed or edited, the poster will always be informed in some way, either with something like "[snip],", like you mention, or via a PM etc. 

We are occasionally accused of being sneaky secret censors, so we make an effort to be as open as we can about what we do, without violating the privacy of the people involved. The [snip] notation shows a person exactly where we removed something from her/his post, without telling bystanders what it was we removed. 

By the way, do not assume that the [snip] notation indicates that the person did something wrong. Sometimes it's merely an indication that this person quoted something else which really was a problem. 

7 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

By the way, do not assume that the [snip] notation indicates that the person did something wrong. Sometimes it's merely an indication that this person quoted something else which really was a problem. 

I often use it when quoting a long post just to comment on parts of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, Rutabaga22 said:

Do y'all get extra ksp2 info? 

Nope.  And not only don't we get extra KSP 2 info, we really don't get any "extra info" at all, about anything the company does.  For example, back when original KSP was under active development, we found out about new version releases, or new DLCs, at the same time as everyone else-- we don't get advanced notice.  In general, we never get any info about the internal development of KSP (or KSP2) other than what the public forum gets.

This is because we're not employees, so (among other things) it means we're not subject to the same NDAs that an employee would be.  (We do have NDAs, but they're different ones, relating to moderating rather than development.)  Companies need to play their cards close to the chest.  The only "secret stuff" that we can see (that you can't) is stuff directly relating to the forum users (e.g. things like a user's history of warnings and the like)-- basically, just the stuff that we need to be able to do our job as moderators.

Beyond that... we never know anything beyond what you do, and we generally find stuff out in the same way that you do. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 10:36 PM, Vanamonde said:
On 7/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

Why is only 1 name change allowed? I get not wanting ppl to change names every other day, but I feel that 1 name change forever is a bit extreme.

Because it makes work for the moderating team. We are unpaid volunteers, have day jobs, and don't have unlimited time to devote to moderating. 

What if name changes were just limited to 1 per few months or so?

3 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

Simple question:

I still have old versions of KSP, up to 1.13.3; can I make a thread to make them available to download for nostalgic players?

Sorry but no. There are some much older ones that have been made available but they were freeware versions. What you are describing would be illegal software distribution AKA piracy. :(

19 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

What if name changes were just limited to 1 per few months or so?

Don't you think it would get difficult to know who is who on the forum? 

20 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I guess, but once per 6 months or something owuld probably be fine, right?

We have people who have been around on these forums for close to a decade. Personally, it would drive me crazy if people could change their names every 6 months. There's really no need for anyone to do that. Just pick a name you are happy with and stick with it :)

4 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

One name change per six months? Times 200,000+ members? 

Um, no. 

I am already confused about members who started with one name and now have another.

Did @Rutabaga22 use to be another name?

I am so lost.

Edited by ColdJ

19 hours ago, Deddly said:

Sorry but no. There are some much older ones that have been made available but they were freeware versions. What you are describing would be illegal software distribution AKA piracy. :(

Whoops sorry... I made a typo and didn't even see it :0.0:

What I wanted to say is that I have KSP versions from 0.10.1 to 0.13.3 (three mac and three windows) on my HD that are copies of fresh installs from kerbalspaceprogram.com, and I just wanted to know if I could make them available to download (for nostalgic players).

Sorry again for the typo -- I haven't see it!

(typo corrected BTW)

5 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

Whoops sorry... I made a typo and didn't even see it :0.0:

What I wanted to say is that I have KSP versions from 0.10.1 to 0.13.3 (three mac and three windows) on my HD that are copies of fresh installs from kerbalspaceprogram.com, and I just wanted to know if I could make them available to download (for nostalgic players).

Sorry again for the typo -- I haven't see it!

(typo corrected BTW)

Significant typo :D

Any version up to and including 0.13.2 (the final free one) is OK to share.  As usual, before downloading any file from someone on the Internet, be sure you trust that person and do a thorough virus check. There is no guarantee you'll get what you are expecting. 

2 hours ago, ShuttlePilot said:

Why are there accounts that once were moderators but now they are just simple users, what happened? Did they violate the rules? Or is that due to inactivity?

People move on for various reasons. New jobs, new children, sometimes simply changing interests.