Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

6 hours ago, ShuttlePilot said:

Why are there accounts that once were moderators but now they are just simple users, what happened? Did they violate the rules? Or is that due to inactivity?

It's a significant commitment, and it's an unpaid 'volunteer' job.  It's not a life-sentence though.  As an example, at this point in time I am able to devote a few hours per day to moderation duties.  If work or family commitments change and I need to back out of my moderation duties, I am able to do that. My take is, again, it's not a life sentence to be assigned as a moderator.  We all have lives, both personal and professional outside of our moderator duties.  When life happens, sometimes time commitments have to be adjusted.

22 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Can "The Daily Kerbal: Daily updates from the dev team about the Kerbal universe" be buried much further down the page? Anything new that might go there probably belongs in "Announcements" or the KSP 2 threads since the KSP 1 universe isn't changing.

We'll look into it.

13 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Can "The Daily Kerbal: Daily updates from the dev team about the Kerbal universe" be buried much further down the page? Anything new that might go there probably belongs in "Announcements" or the KSP 2 threads since the KSP 1 universe isn't changing

I also think the name is inaccurate too.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Is Player Spotlight section completely empty for anyone else or is it just me?

Appears to be so.   A technician will be with you shortly, please enjoy this brief hold music while we await delivery of lemon scented napkins.  

17 hours ago, Gargamel said:
18 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Is Player Spotlight section completely empty for anyone else or is it just me?

Appears to be so.   A technician will be with you shortly, please enjoy this brief hold music while we await delivery of lemon scented napkins.  

The issue is resolved! Pesky forum kraken tried to eat my Player Spotlight posts, but I fought it off with the lemon scented napkins.  

23 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

How long a day do you spend moderating?

I'm normally only on about 4-5 days per week.  On those days I'm usually available for 3-5 hours.  However, the time spent actually doing moderation is much less.  Most days there's maybe an hour spent actually moderating anything- y'all are remarkably polite for the most part.  :)  But personally, I try to be available at least 3 hours per day, at least 4 days per week.

1 hour ago, ShuttlePilot said:

How do you even have time for this?

I think it's a matter of people putting time into something they care about. Every moderator I ever worked with cares a great deal about this community. In a similar way, some great individuals put their time and energy into making mods, writing stories, creating beautiful artwork to share with others etc. 

These are all different ways of giving something back to the community. Doing things for others is actually a great way to get joy out of life. 

31 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Were you more active on the forums before or after becoming a mod?

Yes and no.   Depends on the day or Month or Year.     As a mod,  I'm on the forums most days when I'm on my computer, but occasionally I'll step away for a couple few weeks on a whim just to not get burned out.   I try to stay active on the forums if there's a thread that interests me, but usually I'll just lurk.   What I miss though, is getting into the Tech support areas as much as I used to, I just don't have the energy to commit that much time.

4 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

In regards to locked threads, using Dont Click This as an example, I see mods posting in it after it gets locked. How do yall do that? Do you unlock it then relock with out us seeing? Just curious :D 

It's a common mod privilege across many different forums.   We can post in a thread after it's been locked.