Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

I love the gigantic like button, and I never knew that only 75 emotes are allowed, now it says it right there Though in the few recent days I feel like the forum software can't keep up, doesn't mark threads as read after reading everything, notifications don't appear until I tap on the button, all sorts of things

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I love the gigantic like button, and I never knew that only 75 emotes are allowed, now it says it right there Though in the few recent days I feel like the forum software can't keep up, doesn't mark threads as read after reading everything, notifications don't appear until I tap on the button, all sorts of things

The changes were supposed to be minor, just the addition of a dark mode.    Things have been intermittently wonky since.   Tonight’s outage being one of them.   There really wasn’t supposed to be any style changes beyond that afaik. 

Edited by Gargamel

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

The changes were supposed to be minor, just the addition of a dark mode.    Things have been intermittently wonky since.   Tonight’s outage being one of them.   There really wasn’t supposed to be any style changes beyond that afaik. 

So, is the dark mode available now?

• Community Manager

We're having some caching issues on the backend of the forums that we're still investigating. Future improvements like a darkmode have to wait until they're resolved, unfortunately.

I just had a funky thing happen. I was browsing the forums main page and wasnt logged in. I hit the reload button (iPhone xr using safari on ios 16.3.1) and it flashed your account does not need verification. I know it wasnt a mag from my phone as it was formatted the same way as being told someone replied to a thread youre viewing or any other forum notification… anyone have any ideas what i saw or why? Im guessing perhaps the recent forum update or traffic related?

Hello! I hope you're having a good day. I want to ask if there is any way to find every post I've ever liked? I use my likes as a way to archive cool posts, reference, and build inspiration. However, I can only find my most recent likes in my profile. Just as a side note, it would be awesome to see a "save post" option so we can create archives of cool reference material to look back on. Thank you!

Edited by Elro2k
Forgot to say something

@thewhitemetroid, if we remove or edit anyone's comments we either reply in the thread to state why we've done it or send the person involved a PM or warn. Sometimes a post which breaks no rules but quotes something that did must also be removed. We try to be as transparent as possible. 

I noticed something new about the main page of the forum (mobile). It sort of lags on load, like if it loaded something big or heavy, making me completely miss the buttons I click, often clicking something entirely different. Didn't happen until like, today or yesterday.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I noticed something new about the main page of the forum (mobile). It sort of lags on load, like if it loaded something big or heavy, making me completely miss the buttons I click, often clicking something entirely different. Didn't happen until like, today or yesterday.

They have been working on some stuff behind the scenes. Little problems coming and going. Let us know if it persists for more than a day or two, though. 

the new themes look pretty neat! I was wondering if it will be possible to customize the themes?

i just noticed that if you set to dark mode on mobile, then log out it reverts to default. You then set it to dark while logged out, close safari (iphone xr current ios) then return its reset to default. Are these intended behaviors to not stay set to the user preference between logged in/out or app status of being refreshed? No clue if this happens on desktop yet as im not near my pc.

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 3/10/2023 at 9:11 PM, Vanamonde said:

They have been working on some stuff behind the scenes. Little problems coming and going. Let us know if it persists for more than a day or two, though. 

I have an unsupported thought about what could be causing it.

The twitter widget was added a couple of days ago, no? My guess is the freeze happen while it loads. Because it's exclusive behavior to main page.

56 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

How do we add tags or otherwise distinguish Post Patch Bug Reports or create threads that relate specifically to this iteration of the EA?

Maybe put the latest affected version in the title, similar to the convention for mods:

"[0.1.1.0] VAB explodes on click"

Is there something funky going on with 'reactions'?

Snark got me hooked on the 'Thumbs up' way back when I first joined and he sent me a PM about 'Welcome, and here's how we conduct ourselves'.

I've never 'run out' until now.  

What is the limit, where do I find 'reactions used/left' and is this common or just a funky 'forums are being worked on' behavior?

FYI - something about these forums is causing Chrome for Android to freeze up on a regular basis.  Doesn't happen on other sites or browsers - but it is regular. 

Don't know if it is related - but it is particularly noticeable if the thread has a Twitter link.  Not required, just more frequent when a twit is on the page - although the Twitter related is different, also because it eventually resolves itself. 

The other freeze requires shutting down Chrome entirely 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 9:20 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

FYI - something about these forums is causing Chrome for Android to freeze up on a regular basis.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but the wizards that know how the forum works recently added a Dark Mode.  (Plus a few other modes..).  If you haven't seen the new dark mode(s), you can get to it by scrolling to the bottom of any forum page, and clicking on the 'Theme' drop-down.

The 'Theme' drop-down is hard to find.  You have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.  Yep, all the way.

If ya haven't tried the dark mode, it is really really nice.  My eyes are happy.

@Ghostii_Space, see the above post, apparently the Chrome for Android is not playing nice with the forums.