Dman979

Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

2804 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Sampa said:

I just said, "oh, ok"

Huh? @Deddly, I guess Sampa hasn't posted.

1 person likes this

I have a question, how exactly do you become a Moderator? Are you just randomly chosen? Are you sent a message like 'Great job on the forum, do you want to be a Moderator?'. Are you employees of SQUAD?

23 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I have a question, how exactly do you become a Moderator? Are you just randomly chosen?

No, we're not randomly chosen. When the mod team decides we need new members, we get together and list candidates, and discuss each one. The users we think are the best choices are invited to become a moderator.

We do look for users with clean infraction histories. While an infraction is not an automatic disqualification, most of the moderators had less than 2.

Are you sent a message like 'Great job on the forum, do you want to be a Moderator?'.

Yes. Mine said something almost exactly like that, but I can't share it because @Badie's not online to give me permission. (The rules apply to us, too. In this case, it's 2.2f.)

Really, though, it's not a half-bad guess. :D

Are you employees of SQUAD?

No! We're an all-volunteer team, with the exception of @Badie, the Community Lead. We don't receive any monetary compensation whatsoever from Squad or Take Two, although there have been the odd gifts of KSP merchandise as a way to say thank you. We don't do this for money, we do it because we love the community and want to contribute to it.

We did have to sign non-disclosure agreements before we received moderator permissions. Among other things, the NDAs protect your privacy, by preventing us from sharing  personal information, such as email addresses, birthdays, and real names.

Edited by Dman979
Added a word.
3 people like this

Minor correction to Dman979's reply: @technicalfool was a moderator before he was hired by Squad, so he is the only moderator currently employed by Squad. Just not as a moderator. :D 

2 people like this