Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

How we do moderation things: we see the same forum interface you do, but ours has several more options. 

If you're getting the notification that you can't view a post or thread, it's most likely a broken link to something extremely old, which doesn't exist anymore due to forum software transitions. 

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

How we do moderation things: we see the same forum interface you do, but ours has several more options. 

Would it be possible for you to screenshot your screen with the 'extra features'? Or can't you do that because of secrecy and non disclosure agreements...

8 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Would it be possible for you to screenshot your screen with the 'extra features'? Or can't you do that because of secrecy and non disclosure agreements...

Actually, you can take a look at the guide for the forum software to get an impression of how things are done, i.e. moderating: https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/moderating-members-and-content/moderating-content-r74/

11 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I was going to say,

on Never/Never/Never but they were thinking about it, HansonKerman said,

| So I guess if I asked for a screenshot, @Vanamonde would stop hiding where they are hiding, and make me fill out a bunch of paperwork?

Anyway, my question. If you have 2 tabs open, then would the "Viewing Topic" link show the recent tab (the one you just opened) or the first tab?

16 hours ago, Gargamel said:

We very recently went through the motions of discussing this and working out a tag system for mods.  It was met with a deafening roar of 'meh'. 

What, so

"MEH"

?

(JOKE)

1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

If you have 2 tabs open, then would the "Viewing Topic" link show the recent tab (the one you just opened) or the first tab?

In order to show a correct answer, the forum developers have been spending the last decade developing an advanced AI that can calculate and program an algorithm that can accurately display a result that is satisfactory to the majority of users. It should be ready in a few years. For the real answer, see below. 

Spoiler

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But that should be pretty easy for you to test with a friend, if you really want to know. ;)

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

If you click the "share this post" button on the upper right of each post, copy that address and paste it into your reply:

The only button I can find in the upper right of every post is the 'report post' button :o I still cannot find a 'share this post' button, I've done it always with the method mentioned by @Mad Rocket Scientist :confused:

10 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The only button I can find in the upper right of every post is the 'report post' button :o I still cannot find a 'share this post' button, I've done it always with the method mentioned by @Mad Rocket Scientist :confused:

It's right here:

CKTPxhq.png?1

It's a trendy share icon rather than a button with text. Although It may not show up on mobile. EDIT: Just checked, it does.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

5 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

It's a trendy share icon rather than a button with text. Although It may not show up on mobile.

Is it browser related stuff? I'm def. not on mobile but there is no button in my firefox:

edit: NVM, its blocked by UBlock Origin...

o4gbIHO.png

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

5 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Is it browser related stuff? I'm def. not on mobile but there is no button in my firefox:

[...]

Just switched over to firefox, windows 10, still showing up for me. Very mysterious. Are you using a user style mod for the forums? Or browsing on a very wide monitor? It might be a responsive layout bug.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Ah, that makes sense. Still slightly odd, since I have uBlock origin also and it isn't blocked.

It is the 'cosmetic filter' which blocks this symbol. When you click on the button of uBlock Origin, the little eye symbol at the bottom.

I got confused in the first moment as well because the addon itself says that it doesn't block anything on this site^^

4 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Quick question: what is your favorite part of moderating?

Helping people.

Lots of little individual instances, e.g.

• A user posted something in the wrong forum.  Move it to the right place so they get better replies.
  • A malicious troll is abusing people. Make them stop so that people have a better experience.
  • A spammer is polluting the forum and diluting everyone's enjoyment.  Tidy them up.
  • A flamewar has erupted, which makes everyone unhappy and everyone loses and the thread is derailed.  Calm it down and get the thread back on track so people can enjoy it.
  • (okay, this one's kinda selfish)  Since we're the ones who approve new users' posts from the queue, I get to be the first person who has the chance to say "Hello, and welcome to the forums!" :)

...but what they all have in common is "helping people".

It pretty much has to be that way, I think-- moderating is a tedious and thankless job that one does for free in one's scarce spare time.  About the only actual payoff is the opportunity to help people.  So if that weren't how I get my jollies, there's no way I'd want to be doing this.  ;)

4 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Quick question: what is your favorite part of moderating?

Making fun of @Snark's long answers to simple questions.

For real, though, I think you'll find that all the moderators do it because we want to help.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

How many spam bot accounts have been blocked since January?

Something like 575, going by the join date. In addition to that number, quite a few older ones have been blocked in recent days - spam profiles that never posted.