Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

16 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

How often do you get spam bots and what do they do? What is the point of them? Are they actually bots?

At least a few a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. They tend to start new threads in high traffic areas promoting products or services, though some are more sophisticated at evading detection and will copy the text of an existing post into a new one in the same thread with a commercial link inserted (tricky to catch in the queue as it looks like an on topic post). I guess the point is to get people to their website, or increases their search rankings by having links point to them. Most of the are actually bots, yes. 

On 11/25/2016 at 5:37 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

0-point warning -> Warning with points -> Placed in the moderation queue -> Temporary ban -> Permanent ban

But that is very much subject to circumstances and severity of the matter.

[Edited by adsii1970 for the relevant content I wanted to reference]

Ah, so far I have only been in that first category... 0 point warnings. Maybe there's hope for me after all... :D

@Red Iron Crown, @Vanamonde, and @monstah -

I have a serious question and think I might have violated the forum rules with a recent single status update.

As many of you know, I've started sharing space and science related quotes on the forum for a while. This morning, I put one one and included an Amazon link where the book can be published where the quote originates. Is this acceptable or is this a violation of the rules? I do not directly gain anything from the purchase of the book...

If anything - since we cannot edit single status updates, could I get a moderator to remove the embeded link if this is in violation?

Edited by adsii1970

I have no idea why, but this particular thread gives Firefox all kinds of problems. I am not sure if it is because of  the embedded video or what, but I get a "java script unresponsive error." If I do not get that error, Firefox becomes unresponsive. Any suggestions?

@Red Iron Crown; a month or two back I mentioned I'd make new Kerbal emojis (not replacements but new ones to be added to the roster). I was just curious if you'd still be interested in seeing them. They use the base of the current ones but would work for the :/ and :o faces. The :o face being less shocked and more amazed than the current :0.0: face. 

If your interested I can post them here, in a new thread or in a PM. Whatever is fits your fancy. 

Isnt much but at least this can be my small contribution to the forum :) .

7 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Is it not possible technically? What would happen?

At best, every thread with : wink : or ; ) in it (depending on which one you removed) would go back to the text or show a broken image link.

Let me turn the question around, if I may. Why is having 2 ways to wink a detriment? That'd be like asking to remove the ability to click the RCS on the navball, because we already can turn it on with "R".

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

Let me turn the question around, if I may. Why is having 2 ways to wink a detriment? That'd be like asking to remove the ability to click the RCS on the navball, because we already can turn it on with "R".

4, actually. It just seemed a bit redundant.

Why do posts get removed randomly? Most of the time, they don't seem to be rule-breaking, and in my most recent OP, the post that got deleted didn't really cause any problems. I wonder why. Can you guys at least explain why so it's just not so random?

1 hour ago, HoloYolo said:

Why do posts get removed randomly? Most of the time, they don't seem to be rule-breaking, and in my most recent OP, the post that got deleted didn't really cause any problems. I wonder why. Can you guys at least explain why so it's just not so random?

As far as I am aware, posts are never removed randomly. Each time one is removed, it is at the discretion of the moderator that removed it, which could be any member on the team. Most often, it is because the post violates one or more rules or contributes to nonconstructive discussion.