Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

11 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Is it true that after you get a 1000 rep that your rep just explodes from there? I've gotten 160 rep from November to now, something that took me way longer when I started here.

It depends: do you get any better after you reach 1000 rep?

16 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Is it true that after you get a 1000 rep that your rep just explodes from there? I've gotten 160 rep from November to now, something that took me way longer when I started here.

I don't think it has to do with any set rep number, just that you've been subtly conditioned by the rep system to make posts that people like.

2 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Yes. I only rep posts by users with over 1000 points.

:P

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I don't think it has to do with any set rep number, just that you've been subtly conditioned by the rep system to make posts that people like.

I wouldn't call it "subtle." There's bells, visual cues, and "User Liked this" when someone reps your post. It's a variable ratio schedule, just like gambling. And just like gambling, when you know the system, it makes it easier to get rewards.

14 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I wouldn't call it "subtle." There's bells, visual cues, and "User Liked this" when someone reps your post. It's a variable ratio schedule, just like gambling. And just like gambling, when you know the system, it makes it easier to get rewards.

Does the house always win, then?

I just skimmed the entire thread, and now I can imagine the moderators have a secret thread where they chat for a while.

A few questions:

1. How many moderators are there?

2. How old are the fourms?

3. What are your favorite threads?

Thank you for all the work you do helping the community!

30 minutes ago, Garrett Kerman said:

I just skimmed the entire thread, and now I can imagine the moderators have a secret thread where they chat for a while.

A few questions:

2. How old are the fourms?

1. 29, according to this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/staff/ 
  2. The first post is from June 19, 2011: 

[/NOTAMOD]

We have a private subforum and an IRC chat. 

It's hard to say, since several people are on leave and may or may not come back, depending on real world events. There is this list, though.

I usually read a bit here and a bit there. I rarely follow specific threads closely because there are so many. 

It's actually fun, most of the time. When the arguments are not overly bitter. :) You're welcome. 

10 hours ago, Garrett Kerman said:

This one is my absolute favorite, people sharing what they do in KSP and exchanging ideas about it, it's what I like best about the KSP forum distilled into one thread:

Also the MQDB, but that's a mods-only thing. :wink: 

14 hours ago, Garrett Kerman said:

11 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

It's actually fun, most of the time. When the arguments are not overly bitter. :) You're welcome. 

It's true, it's fun. And when it's not fun for Vanamonde, he makes angry faces, and that is fun for the rest of us.

14 hours ago, Garrett Kerman said:

Personally, this one and this one.

On 12/19/2016 at 4:44 PM, Garrett Kerman said:

I actually don't have any favorite threads-- can't.  That's because to have a particular favorite thread, it needs to be a long-lived (i.e. long) one, and my favorite threads are short ones that have just started.  Interesting ones pop up all the time, and when the post count is low (under 20), it's when I find things most interesting.

When the thread expands into many pages... that's when I find it less interesting, I just figure that "most of what one can say has been said", it's hard to hold the whole conversation in my head, so I tend to just cruise right on by.

...Well, except for this one.  :)  I always find this thread interesting.

I apparently have work on the brain.

I read that as MSQLDB and went "of course the forum runs on Microsoft SQL Server Database, why's that a moderator secret?"

After a second look I realized it was MQDB instead and now I'm wondering....

Moderators Quietly Drinking Beer? :cool:

D.

What's the hierarchy in the forums? I imagine something like:

1-SQUAD
2-SQUAD Staff
3-Global moderator
4-Moderator
5-Users

Is it right? And if so, who is SQUAD? I mean, somebody is behind it.
What 'power' and responsibilities each one have?

Thanks!

The Squad account isn't a person, it's a communal account sometimes used for announcements and such. It doesn't have any real power.

Squad staff varies, too. There are a variety of positions and a hierarchy of its own there.

Global mods are nominally above regular mods in the hierarchy, but in practice this matters little. We try to moderate by consensus, and the newest mods' voices are just as important as the veterans for that.