Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

The mods are people just like us, and judging by some posts by normal people, odds are some of the mods are also upset by the PS4 revelation.

What are the various mods thoughts on it?

Edit: glad to see this thread got a sticky even after supernovy shut the idea down on page 11

Edited by r4pt0r

Can't speak for the others, but I'm cautiously optimistic. A console port will likely fund more development, and I really dread the day when they decide to discontinue KSP development so if this keeps that day further away I'm for it. I'm a bit concerned about the PC version being limited to PS4 levels of performance, but from what I'm reading the PS4 version is more of a fork than just a recompile for a different platform (different UI, different devs involved) so I'm hopeful those concerns are unjustified.

I was initially disgusted by the idea - it seemed another case of Squad going 'ooh, shiny!' and jumping on the bandwagon. However, enough people have made enough points about how there will all-but-have-to-be improved, multicore performance and possibly better UI systems that I am now, like Red Iron Crown, cautiously optimistic.

Thing is, if Squad had been dissuaded from other formats back around .19 / .20, I'd not be playing KSP on Linux now, and many players wouldn't have an OSX version either, and neither of these versions has impacted the core development.

That's a lot of gamers that could have been alienated by a Windows PC only release, that's lots of members we'd never have met here, lots of modders who's works extend KSP that we enjoy using.

Actually if community backlash had caused Squad to cancel their plans for a Linux version and it stopped working in Wine, I'd not have remained interested in the game and would have moved on.

So I think that porting KSP to PS4 is a good thing in the long run, it'll bring new and excited players that'll keep the communities fresh, it'll encourage some to try modding on their PC, it'll show console owners that there is more variety than the shooters and casual games that dominate those platforms.

And why stop at the PS4? Xbone support, via the same or another 3rd party could spread KSP even further, KSP already works on SteamOS thanks to Squad exploring other formats, so we'll see Steambox owners enjoying firing Kerbals into space.

Unity5 also supports the WiiU, and don't forget the original design for KSP was a 2D side view game, it'd be nice to see that on phones one day.

So I think this is a good thing, but it'll take time to see how it pans out.

Just curious, what exactly makes the "report post" page load very slowly/not at all after sending a report?

I suspect if we knew that, it could be fixed. :)

I can tell you that the report is generated immediately after pressing the "send report" button. No need to wait around while the page struggles to load.

some of the mods are also upset by the PS4 revelation.

My initial reaction was not a happy one. So then I evaluated what would have to change, and I read some more positive viewpoints. Now I'm indifferent.

This came up over on my comic thread--I've noticed that some words get blocked (when I've tried to use certain synonyms for "gender" and "delayed" in posts, they've come out as '.....' ). However my comic panels are images, so if I were to put anything naughty in a word balloon the software would not catch it. Of course I keep it clean anyway, excepting the occasional play on 'S' which is after all in-game (badS=true). Question is, other than the board software default censoring which is as I've seen pretty strict, what's the policy on improper language?

Question is, other than the board software default censoring which is as I've seen pretty strict, what's the policy on improper language?

The policy is simple: Don't use it.

We try to keep the forums appropriate for all ages, and you can always choose other words to express yourself than profane ones (and I say this as someone who can make a sailor blush in real life). We enforce this with Rule 2.2g of our Community Rules. The automatic filter in the forum software is just an aid in enforcing that rule, we also manually edit posts and hand out notices/infractions for this often-violated rule.

Edit: glad to see this thread got a sticky even after supernovy shut the idea down on page 11

OOh, a sticky! My first one ever! :0.0::confused::confused::0.0: Who did this wonderful thing? Must give much thanks!

What was the great forum crash/revert/disaster/kraken strike of 2013?

The forum servers had an issue. There was a backup, but a certain amount of data was lost. I wasn't here for it, so if someone else would like to elaborate that would be great.

What was the great forum crash/revert/disaster/kraken strike of 2013?

There was a snafu with the server that runs the forums, and the last working backup was from five or six months before. Ever notice there's no user accounts with a join date in early 2013? All those accounts (and many threads, posts and PMs) were lost irrevocably.

Edit: You're supposed to be a cowboy. Or a doctor. Not a ninja.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

[...] Or a doctor. Not a ninja.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

drmcninja.png

And speaking of webcomics, following up on RIC's answer to my question I went through my pages and did change one word that I would not want to hear coming out of my 10-year-old's mouth. I think that will be a pretty good standard to keep going forward :)

It was a test to see if negative rep could be given, and it was a joke on Rick's username, it ended up as a forum game where everyone gave GIC so much rep it went back to normal rep.

Edited by Yukon0009
oops

What was that whole thing with green iron crown a while back?

VBulletin's rep system allows for negative rep, it's just disabled on the KSP forums. Because Red Iron Crown has more rep than anyone else, an account was made called Green Iron Crown with max negative rep (which looks the same as positive rep, but red instead of green). People began crazily repping GIC until the account became green again, while repping each other and it was just a general forum frenzy. GIC was banned and since then it's become forum lore.

It was a test to see if negative rep could be given, and it was given to a dummy account made by Rick with permission, it ended up as a forum game where everyone gave GIC so much rep it went back to normal rep.

Pretty much, but I didn't make the account. I was the new guy on the moderation team at the time, calling the test account "Green Iron Crown" was a bit of a joke.

The original Destroy GIC thread is here.

The last post in that thread has a decent explanation of what happened.